Wyoming Discussion Thread

Xaagon

Re: Wyoming Discussion Thread

#6051 Post by Xaagon » 14 Jun 2022 01:09

I understood that you were talking about both Spearfish and Rapid City. We agree that Rapid City can't be missed, but I'm thinking there's a lot of good reasons for having Spearfish too, unless SCS decides to start releasing DLCs with less than 10 cities. South Dakota is similar to Wyoming, with a couple of slightly larger "big" towns, and then it gets really small after that. Therefore, at 12,000 residents, Spearfish has a significance it wouldn't in other parts of the country.

I think it's also a good stepping off point to get to Montana on US-212. If you have Montana and South Dakota but no North Dakota, you need that portion of US-212.
flight50

#6052 Post by flight50 » 14 Jun 2022 08:13

Hmmm. I didn't realize that US-85 is the Western most US road in North and South Dakota. I don't think SCS misses that. We should be able to get from Cheyenne to US-2 with it. There is no North to South Interstate remotely close to pulling that off trip. I-25 and I-29 won't work and US-385 terminates before I-90. I understand not getting it with Wyoming but moving on, we'll need it for the future.

I think you're right about South Dakota being like Wyoming. I actually like what SCS did with I-80 in Wyoming. Rawlings is a tad too large as it has an extra Eastern section that could have been cut but its still okay with me. People complain that Wyoming is too urban but remove any of those cities off I-80 and the complaints would be even worse. Away from I-80 and Wyoming is wide open imo. The Dakotas will be the same way. They really only have one interstate that goes thru them. That is where your largest establishments will be typically. I'd be cool with more Wyoming like cities in the so called flyover states.
Tristman

#6053 Post by Tristman » 14 Jun 2022 10:19

I have to agree. I-80 in Wyoming is a little crowded, but if you'd remove any of those cities, you'd be missing a city that's important for Wyoming.
By eastern section of Rawlins, you mean Sinclair @flight50 ? I think it would be a shame if we didn't get that oil refinery. And I like how you drive along the I-80 to get there.
I think it would have been good if there was more distance between Rock Springs and Rawlins, but no idea how they should have done that. There's really no elements along the I-80 that I would be okay with missing.
Wyoming has these beautiful and desolate US and state highways, so if someone doesn't like I-80, it's fairly easy to avoid it.

Regarding South Dakota, I-90 is the obvious entry point. I am not sure about US-85 as an entry point. I could see US-16 from Moorcroft through Newcastle as an entry point, or US-18 from Lusk, since we probably get US-18/20 for Nebraska. US-85 north from Spearfish I think is a must, but south I'm not sure due to its proximity to I-90. We would need either US-16 or 18 to get access to the Black Hills (and Mt. Rushmore), and both Black Hills and Spearfish will need space.
Maybe US-212 from Montana will be another entry point.
flight50

#6054 Post by flight50 » 14 Jun 2022 14:22

^US-18 from Lusk runs concurrent with US-85 though. You can't get from Lusk to US-16/New Castle without US-85. That's where I'm going with this. We'll need something from Southern Wyoming. I-90 and US-212 are both North and takes care of entry into South Dakota from the North. How do we get from Cheyenne to Rapid City. I don't see the logical route being
I-25 to I-90. That takes you back West first. WY-59 is an option but it too runs West a tad. US-85 is the most direct path. US-20 and US-26 should extend into Nebraska for sure. US-85 is the only US route that takes us to the Canada border in that region North to South and for me, its equal to US-191, US-95, US-93. We need those US routes that run the length of the entire country to offset the lack of interstates in the Great Plains.

But if they connect Lusk, you might as well connect to US-26 as well minimum. Taking US-85 all the way to I-25 may not happen. New Castle, Torrington and Lusk should all make the game as scenic. Torrington and New Castle where worthy marked cities for Wyoming but they are just to far East. People seem to complain about Wyoming having too many marked cities for some reason. The state has a low population but that doesn't mean worthy cities should limit deliver points. Wyoming's city's away from I-80 are pretty spread out.

For Rawlins, its the Chemso and Johnson & Smith that I'm referring to. I don't have an issue but I think people that say its too crowd are referring to how close Rawlins and Laramie are. If you take all the cities along I-80 in Wyoming and go from end to end East to West, Rawlins is the widest city by far. That's the only part I can see people not happy with. Me personally, I wouldn't change anything. If the game was 1:10 yeah bigger issue if I-80 cities are that close but for 1:20, things will get bunched up a tad in places. I'd rather have a nice drivable city with more depots spread out than a city with centralized depots all in one spot.
oldmanclippy

#6055 Post by oldmanclippy » 14 Jun 2022 14:57

US-85 will need to come unbroken between Spearfish and Williston for sure. If US-85 wasn't so goofy in Colorado it could have been a candidate to get in its entirety North-South, since in TX/NM it's almost exclusively concurrent with interstates, and in WY/SD/ND it's mostly on its own or concurrent with other US Routes. CO just goofs it up having it weave in and out of the main I-25 corridor and stay ultimately too close to it to get it in at 1:20.

As for the Cheyenne to Spearfish segment, I think Lusk to Newcastle is the bare minimum. Then US-16 and/or US-85 can get us into the Black Hills from there. US-18 I think should leave US-85 at Mule Creek Junction, as I think US-18 would be a good option for a west-east route in South Dakota south of I-90. Plus another way to get us to Rapid City bypassing the Black Hills using SD-79 which is the Black Hills bypass on the east. US-18 is a likely road for us to get in Iowa so might as well start in South Dakota. If I-90 is the southernmost west-east route in SD that'd be really disappointing.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Trakaplex

#6056 Post by Trakaplex » 14 Jun 2022 15:02

Xaagon wrote: 14 Jun 2022 01:09 I understood that you were talking about both Spearfish and Rapid City. We agree that Rapid City can't be missed, but I'm thinking there's a lot of good reasons for having Spearfish too, unless SCS decides to start releasing DLCs with less than 10 cities. South Dakota is similar to Wyoming, with a couple of slightly larger "big" towns, and then it gets really small after that. Therefore, at 12,000 residents, Spearfish has a significance it wouldn't in other parts of the country.

I think it's also a good stepping off point to get to Montana on US-212. If you have Montana and South Dakota but no North Dakota, you need that portion of US-212.
Spearfish could get marked as scenic. And Deadwood as well due to US-85. I am uncertain about Sturgis though; they could leave 14A out. But SD had more straight roads than WY, so there'd be a bit more.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
flight50

#6057 Post by flight50 » 14 Jun 2022 15:42

The more unbroken US highways the better. Interstates shouldn't always be the main route if US roads fit. Its the US roads that offer the detours when the interstates have issues. I look forward to activating detours again as roads systems should get denser moving away from the West. In game and in real life, its the US roads that allow us to take alternate routes when the main choice of travel has issues. As we get into the Great Plains, more US road density should kick in. We'll see how SCS copes with this. I like US-212, US-18, US-20 going as far East as they can go. I really like it when we get US roads parallel to borders. It gives alternates around the state to the furthest extends of a state.

Seems like US-26 dies out @ I-80 so we'll loose it. But other routes are available to extend East.
Vinnie Terranova

#6058 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 14 Jun 2022 15:59

flight50 wrote: 14 Jun 2022 15:42As we get into the Great Plains, more US road density should kick in.
I hope not... The more US roads we get, the harder it will be for SCS to recreate the vibe of the plains. Because for the plains we need emptyness. A lot of emptyness. And that means: not too many roads, please.
Trakaplex

#6059 Post by Trakaplex » 14 Jun 2022 16:09

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 14 Jun 2022 15:59
flight50 wrote: 14 Jun 2022 15:42As we get into the Great Plains, more US road density should kick in.
I hope not... The more US roads we get, the harder it will be for SCS to recreate the vibe of the plains. Because for the plains we need emptyness. A lot of emptyness. And that means: not too many roads, please.
I guess this is disputed, SCS is already capturing Texas with its dense road network...
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
Shiva

#6060 Post by Shiva » 14 Jun 2022 16:18

oldmanclippy US-85 fro Spearfish SD to Williston ND? Atleast that far north.

Moorcroft WY, ingame it is quite close to Sundance. Between Linden and Sundance, actually.
We will have to wait and see what road connections there will be to South Dakota, from Wyoming.
I-90, we do know. But the others?
US-85? possible.
US-16? possible.
US-18? possible.
US-212? That I think might be a MT-SD connecting road.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

Return to “General discussion about the game”