Texas Discussion Thread

oldmanclippy

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#8401 Post by oldmanclippy » 05 Dec 2022 13:37

I-84 between Pendleton and Ontario where you have to slow down to 40mph on the interstate to not tip over :lol:
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
angrybirdseller

#8402 Post by angrybirdseller » 05 Dec 2022 13:55

The I-84 stretch slows me down its spot SCS would give option opt out of cabbage hill and something more boring to drive since some of use cruise control for long drives.
Optional Features

#8403 Post by Optional Features » 05 Dec 2022 18:48

oldmanclippy wrote: 05 Dec 2022 13:37 I-84 between Pendleton and Ontario where you have to slow down to 40mph on the interstate to not tip over :lol:
Cabbage Hill? They don't bank the curves enough (anywhere), but there are some tight corners in that area irl.
55sixxx

#8404 Post by 55sixxx » 05 Dec 2022 18:53

oldmanclippy wrote: 05 Dec 2022 13:37 I-84 between Pendleton and Ontario where you have to slow down to 40mph on the interstate to not tip over :lol:
I use 0 stability and only slow down to 40 at the hill just southbound of Pendleton, there's also a stretch of curves more at the middle of this part of I-84 but these curves can be done at 55, as the signs on the side of highway tell you to.
rbsanford

#8405 Post by rbsanford » 05 Dec 2022 20:55

It's ridiculous to blame SCS for the curviness/hilliness of roads. Granted, there are some roads that are too curvy, like I-70 between Limon and Burlington (which is also too green), but SCS is reflecting reality. The West is a wild place, with crazy terrain highways have to negotiate. If anything, early roads were too flat and straight; Donner and Cajon Passes were nonexistant, US 50 across Nevada is too boring, and we all know what the pre-rework roads were like in NorCal.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Optional Features

#8406 Post by Optional Features » 05 Dec 2022 21:06

Don't forget Siskyou. They missed it twice. Once in the original build. Once in the rework.
Guguz

#8407 Post by Guguz » 05 Dec 2022 21:55

Hello everyone,don't know if anyone could help,but on my Texas dlc,instead of Van Horn,it's written Victoria instead,other than the city of Victoria that is supposed to be in game,it's like it's marked twice (yes,that profile has seen map mods,but at the moment i have only one mod activated and it's a sound one)
I have also a clean profile,but it does the same thing
SenseFM

#8408 Post by SenseFM » 05 Dec 2022 22:37

seriousmods wrote: 05 Dec 2022 21:06 Don't forget Siskyou. They missed it twice. Once in the original build. Once in the rework.
Didn't the Siskiyou Summit section between Hilt and Medford come with the Oregon DLC? Then technically they just missed it once... ;) Jokes aside, I agree it would have been great if it had been included - after all it's the highest point on I-5's course. And I know you're also referring to the Black Butte Summit south of Weed. The in-game space is pretty tight there and Redding has been made so big that I doubt the elevation change could be represented realistically without completely redesigning the entire Mt Shasta area. Thankfully, this case seems to be an exception, because most of the major passes in ATS's non-base map areas seem to be featured in the game. In contrast, the same can't be said for ETS2...

At least in Texas the Guadalupe Pass and the climb around the Paisano Peak have been both represented. From now on we won't be seeing many more mountain passes until we get to the Appalachians, although hopefully we will still be getting some of them in the base map rebuilds and through the Ozarks, Ouachitas and Boston Mountains...
Optional Features

#8409 Post by Optional Features » 05 Dec 2022 22:49

SenseFM wrote: 05 Dec 2022 22:37
seriousmods wrote: 05 Dec 2022 21:06 Don't forget Siskyou. They missed it twice. Once in the original build. Once in the rework.
Didn't the Siskiyou Summit section between Hilt and Medford come with the Oregon DLC? Then technically they just missed it once... ;) Jokes aside, I agree it would have been great if it had been included - after all it's the highest point on I-5's course. And I know you're also referring to the Black Butte Summit south of Weed. The in-game space is pretty tight there and Redding has been made so big that I doubt the elevation change could be represented realistically without completely redesigning the entire Mt Shasta area. Thankfully, this case seems to be an exception, because most of the major passes in ATS's non-base map areas seem to be featured in the game. In contrast, the same can't be said for ETS2...

At least in Texas the Guadalupe Pass and the climb around the Paisano Peak have been both represented. From now on we won't be seeing many more mountain passes until we get to the Appalachians, although hopefully we will still be getting some of them in the base map rebuilds and through the Ozarks, Ouachitas and Boston Mountains...
I think Hilt was in the original Cali map (or was it Hornbrook)? They redid the area with the initial rework, but didn't include the elevation change.

Agreed that there isn't much space, but they could have included something. I would have done this:

[ external image ]

1. Is the big curve leaving Ashland. It's going uphill and to the left (southbound irl)

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0746633 ... 384!8i8192

2. Is the big curve crossing from Cali into Oregon. It's going downhill and to the right (southbound irl)

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0397431 ... 384!8i8192

3. Is the long downhill to the inspection station. It's several miles of downgrade to the booth. Technically, this area would be flipped irl (southbound would go right/straight instead of left), but the downhill is what matters most.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9338861 ... 384!8i8192

This design would eliminate Hilt, but it would add a hint at the tallest spot on I-5. I think we could do without Hilt for that purpose.
harishw8r

#8410 Post by harishw8r » 06 Dec 2022 02:56

Not a bad idea in fact. IMO Hilt is as useless as Hornbrook and I would favour some city in SoCal to either of these. @seriousmods: I think it would be better if the map is posted in the base map discussion thread instead, it would be easier for future referencing and discussions.

Cabbage hill with 80k gross is a real nightmare in game, and that’s why I like it. But I can’t stop wondering how 55sixxx manages to drive at 55, I always had to slow down to 40 while going downhill. While uphill the truck isn’t gonna gain speed anyway.

Return to “General discussion about the game”