Texas Discussion Thread

Optional Features

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3431 Post by Optional Features » 25 May 2022 22:11

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 25 May 2022 22:01 @seriousmods I think there is something you are overlooking with all those screenshots... The point is that we can drive on a map, but that map has to end somewhere. If we drive on a road in the middle of the map, then at both sides of the roads must be filled with all kind of objects: prefabs and other buildings, vegetation, some other roads, etc. Because we don't want to drive on just a road, right? We want to drive on a road that has a nice scenery / surroundings around it.

Now, if that scenery contains some extra roads next to the main road we are driving on, should we be able to drive on those extra roads too? Well, that creates a recursive problem: those extra roads also need a nice scenery, with possible another few extra roads. But then you want to drive on those few extra roads too. Which also needs a nice scenery. See the recursive problem?

The map has to stop somewhere: it has boundaries, and if you cross those boundaries you will fall into the big black void. And that's the reason that there are roads on which you can drive, but also roads on which you cannot drive. Because the further away from the driveable roads and the closer to the boundaries of the map, the less detailed the scenery has to be.

Regarding those extra companies and businesses: to get there you need extra roads. That's why there are businesses and warehouses that are inaccessible.
And I totally understand that and agree. However, many of the things in these images are placed in such a way that they could be used with minimal improvements to the map whatsoever.

The hotel is one of the best examples: it's bordered on the east by I-15 and on the west by a functional truckstop. Yet it's behind walls on a road that leads nowhere. The barrier could be behind the hotel entrance and a sleep trigger in the parking lot, but SCS chose to make it a decoration. The map at this point is 95% decoration and mostly blocked off with tired old garages and warehouse/store prefabs that are recycled now in 12 states. That's what I can't understand.

I'll provide a rundown of a few for reference:

1. Construction business in Denver. Has a name and details: behind walls. Right across from functional beverage warehouse.

2. Farm in Utah. Serviced by blocked off freeway exit. Has roads connecting it to the freeway. Backed by interstate.

3-6. Would require more road (mostly gravel), but nicely detailed. All along I-15.

7. Right across from functional truck-stop in Idaho Falls. All walled in by gates.

8-9. I believe Idaho Falls as well, not exactly sure on connection.

10. Corner of freeway entrance. Blocked off by gates.

I don't remember the location of all of them, but the point is most are located alongside existing freeways, using existing exits, or right by existing, functional roads.

I can understand stuff way off the map: pretty much none of this is.
SouthernMan

#3432 Post by SouthernMan » 25 May 2022 22:42

A fact: scs really needs to improve its logistics. There are companies that are scenarios that can really be functional.
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
Optional Features

#3433 Post by Optional Features » 25 May 2022 22:58

Even if 5% of them were made functional, the game would massively improve especially considering that most of the best looking drops are non functional/behind walls.
oldmanclippy

#3434 Post by oldmanclippy » 26 May 2022 13:21

I think Vinnie made a good point in that, there should always be something unreachable but visible outside the currently accessible map. If every depot that we can see in-game is usable, that makes the game world feel smaller and less realistic. Now could SCS stand to make more depots usable AND also make more unusable depots besides those to solve both problems? Yes, but the point is that, if the world is properly designed, we'll always be able to play this game of "why isn't this depot usable"?

The second point is that each depot and each road added increases the burden on test not just for the testing of the DLC before release, but also for the maintenance of that DLC for the rest of ATS's life span. At some point, they have to decide when enough is enough. Is the current level of "enough" enough? I don't think so, but at some point it will be. So SCS has to make a decision at some point and go "yes we'll keep this depot in as scenic, no we don't want to make ourselves maintain it in perpetuity".

Those are the two main reasons why we see depots that seem like they'd be a no-brainer to make usable, but don't end up being usable. The reasons I can think of, anyway.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
SouthernMan

#3435 Post by SouthernMan » 26 May 2022 13:56

oldmanclippy wrote: 26 May 2022 13:21 I think Vinnie made a good point in that, there should always be something unreachable but visible outside the currently accessible map. If every depot that we can see in-game is usable, that makes the game world feel smaller and less realistic. Now could SCS stand to make more depots usable AND also make more unusable depots besides those to solve both problems? Yes, but the point is that, if the world is properly designed, we'll always be able to play this game of "why isn't this depot usable"?

The second point is that each depot and each road added increases the burden on test not just for the testing of the DLC before release, but also for the maintenance of that DLC for the rest of ATS's life span. At some point, they have to decide when enough is enough. Is the current level of "enough" enough? I don't think so, but at some point it will be. So SCS has to make a decision at some point and go "yes we'll keep this depot in as scenic, no we don't want to make ourselves maintain it in perpetuity".

Those are the two main reasons why we see depots that seem like they'd be a no-brainer to make usable, but don't end up being usable. The reasons I can think of, anyway.
But that's exactly what it's about, friend... It's not about making all companies functional, but making more companies functional. You go to a big city on the scs map and you have a maximum of 5 companies. Like, this is really VERY little for a big city... In my opinion, SCS needs to review the logistics of its map/game.
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
Shiva

#3436 Post by Shiva » 26 May 2022 20:05

Now I am curious SouthernMan, what big cities have a maximum of 5 companies?
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
bm7

#3437 Post by bm7 » 26 May 2022 21:08

seriousmods wrote: 25 May 2022 19:27 And if I want to drive into a random parking lot, that is on me.

Why should the makers of an open world make it impossible for me to explore said open world? What if I have a car mod? Maybe I want to rp driving to a bank.

It's ridiculous lol
I agree some of the barriers are ugly, but if they remove them and leave the invisible walls, people will complain that there's invisible walls where they want to drive.
If they remove the invisible walls and let people drive into random parking lots, people will complain about them being undetailed and having geometry errors because you were never intended to see/drive there.
If they put details into every single parking lot, people will complain the rebuilds and new DLCs take forever to make because they're spending so much mapping time on places you aren't supposed to go to anyway.

You have to draw the line somewhere. And putting effort in for the very small percentage of people who want their truck simulator to be a car simulator isn't worth it.
SouthernMan

#3438 Post by SouthernMan » 26 May 2022 21:50

Shiva wrote: 26 May 2022 20:05 Now I am curious SouthernMan, what big cities have a maximum of 5 companies?
So Denver, for example, doesn't have 5, but it does have 6. Anyway, that's really not much considering it's a big city. It's my opinion.
xXCARL1992Xx

#3439 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 26 May 2022 21:54

Denver has 8, 9 if you say Wallbert are 2 because of a warehouse and store front most likely
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
oldmanclippy

#3440 Post by oldmanclippy » 26 May 2022 22:01

Not counting the base map, of the cities with metro area 500K+, the worst offenders are Provo and Ogden with 6, followed by Seattle, Spokane, Boise, and Colorado Springs with 7.

Albuquerque might have the most at 14, which is what I'd like to see big cities aim for in the future.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)

Return to “General discussion about the game”