Texas Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#2261 Post by flight50 » 09 Jan 2022 00:06

I'd say Arlington and Denton are must haves....by default. Arlington has entertainment scenery that is iconic and Denton merges I-35E and I-35W. Not to mention Denton is home to Peterbilt.

Garland (my home city) somewhat gets in by default as well. From I-635 to Lake Ray Hubbard is the Southern boundary of Garland. So technically Garland will have a piece of it in game.

Mesquite borders I-30 adjacent to Garland so it too could get a small part in but not much. I agree that a lot can go right or wrong. I too don't want to get too excited but at the same time, it's hard not to. Like I said before, it's not about being my home state, it's about what Texas can bring. How much industry, new roads and cities we get. How new will Texas feel. There are many ATS fans that have been waiting for an ETS2 size map for ATS. Texas does this.

So if done right, Texas should almost feel like a totally different region. Why? Because technically it is. It starts the South. If ATS can get treated like ETS2 with its NEW regions, then Texas should feel 50% new at the least imho. Texas needs to stand tall if SCS expects great sales. It can get good sales easily but I am sure SCS is aiming for notch sales for Texas.
VTXcnME

#2262 Post by VTXcnME » 09 Jan 2022 11:49

Inevitiably with it being your home state, there are things you'll want that won't make the DLC which will be a letdown. I'm already looking at what I want out of Maine and what will actually make the DLC. Given the size of the state and the scale of the map... I worry a lot of the rugged beauty of Coastal Route 1 will be lost. There are a bunch of things in Maine I HOPE to see.. but this thread isn't about Maine... so moving along.

Back to Texas: There are a host of suburb cities around Dallas/Ft Worth that could (and really should) make the DLC for a host of reasons. It'd extend industry and business better. They host major road intersections. I'm hoping to see *NEW* scenery assets and textures. On it's eastern border, it's gonna start into an entirely different biome of the bayou. I'm looking forward to the transitions between southwestern desert type textures to the midwestern plains textures to the wooded areas of the east. How they intermingle in one state, vs transitions between multiple states released at different times. It's an odd thing, but another one of the "SCS can knock it out the park if they do it right" moments for me.

As far as industry goes: Texas accounts for about a third of the nations oil production/refining, so I'm *REALLY* hoping SCS is paying attention and adding more petroleum companies. As a Texas resident, I know you know @flight50 , but I remember reading an article a few years back I read about Texas's 32 biggest oil companies.... not all of them, just the 32 biggest producers. SCS needs to pay close attention to this, as it's a big deal for the DLC to come off right. A Chemco here and there or a Gallon oil randomly placed isn't going to cut it. They're gonna have to *REALLY* dig into the petroleum industry. At least 2 more companies need to be added that work in petroleum. For me, that is a lynch-pin DLC deal breaker. Like forestry in the Northwest, livestock in Wyoming.... Petroleum in Texas needs to be right. I know that's been addressed a bunch before. But This is my biggest worry heading into the DLC home stretch, that it will have been half heartedly addressed.
flight50

#2263 Post by flight50 » 09 Jan 2022 15:20

Yes you are correct. But that is where I'd have to show my acceptance. Honestly I think I'll be okay but once Texas does come out, I'll definitely speak on it. But I'll also explain why I'd be okay. I have to access the map to see what fits and that is how one can understand, what doesn't fit. I'll try to be fair as possible but I'll be okay. Keeping 1:20 scale in mind and what does make it vs what doesn't, I'll understand. I do know that for every 10-15 things that people may see as a must have, we might only get 1-2 in some areas. The main thing I want for Texas though is increase ICC’s. That drives me more than anything. I think I'd be content with what they manage to pack into the game scale. With the way they do remote depots, I think that is how you load up a busy state. I think California should be just like Texas with its rebuild. This is the time to fix California to be the number one economic state that it is in reality.

Briefly on Maine.....a lot can happen between now and then. Technology and the way of mapping could be totally different. I wouldn't worry too much about it until they start closing in on the NE area. They could surprise ya though. But with today's mapping, don't worry yourself because even 5 years from now, thing could change. 2-3 more notches above now could even be possible.

Yesss, in the DFW area and Houston area, there are a lot of suburbs that can make the game for depots. That is how Texas can get industry for the largest cities. The cities themselves can’t be missed and will take up a ton of space. So industry outside the big cities is where I'd go with things. Denver, Seattle, Portland....all set the standard on cities and we have to pretty much go outside the town center to make industry pick ups/drop offs. Cool with me. I'd rather how things are now and drive thru the city via interstates, vs driving thru the huge cities on surface roads. Texas will be interesting though. It has huge cities, mid size, small cities and you have umpteen small towns (scenic). Per page one of this thread, my guess is still 30-35 cities for Texas. No telling what all scenic cities are in but I'm hoping for a treat.

Yes Eastern Texas sets up Eastern US. I think people will relate more to ETS2 with it. We'll get more with Louisiana, Arkansas, etc. The more East from Texas, the more green like Washington and Oregon. No dry land out that way, lol. I think Texas should introduce a butt load of new assets and textures. However many assets the game has now, Texas could easily add 35-40% or more just by itself. New region, new beginnings. The cool thing about Texas is its size. So there is a ton more space to blend in the transitions. Coming from El Paso and into the San Angelo/Abilene region. Going from Abilene over to Tyler/College Station and then all of Eastern Texas. That's the East to West. North to South pretty much the same thing. Biomes are still in columns. We can see a million screen shots, but until we have the dlc so that we can piece it all together with gameplay, we can only anticipate.

Petroleum, lol. Yeahhhh about that. I can only talk. I think Texas as a minimum needs to add 3 new oil/gas companies. I mentioned them several times but less than 3 doesn't emphasis that industry enough to me. When people that know Texas think industry, the first thing that comes to mind is oil. Oil, oil, oil should be the first thought. Exxon, Shell, Valero...top 3 to me. There is Conoco Philps, Citigo as well. We already have Chevron, BP and whatever Gallon is suppose to be. I assume Texaco. Owned tankers need to be a thing with Texas. That will set the dlc on fire. But yes Chemso and Gallon will not cut it for Texas alone. We even need a new chemical plant with Texas. There is Dow, DuPont, LyondellBasell and BASF. I think there is one more I'm missing. But tankers should have a field day in Texas. Oil/Gas goes with Chemicals. Fertilizer plants is one of the chemical companies we need. We have the cargo but it comes from out of space. Plastics, resins, rubber, asphalt...lots of things tankers can kick in for.

I totally agree on the regional industry approach. That is what can make ATS so great is that each region specializes in 1-2 main industries. If the devs are taking note, I think we can see some things mentioned in these threads. My question is, how much will be implemented. We can get new companies no doubt. But will it satisfy the dlc properly is my worry. I model everything after ETS2 and how each new dlc brings new companies. Its not impossible to make a ton of new companies. SCS just has to see that same vision for ATS. If they don't see it, we'll still get minimum. But I'm hoping to see multiple new companies still. 12-15 minimum for me. Honestly I don't think that is too many at all when ETS2 dlc's pretty much get 15-20 each time for new regions. Texas starts a new region. What will be the reason why Texas doesn't get 15+ is what I'll like to find out. (2-3)Oil/gas, (1-2)chemical, (2)grocery stores, (x) ports, (3-4)retail, (1) construction company, (1) road works, (2) farming/agriculture, etc...then there are the one offs for whatever they could be. I could easily sit here and come up with a solid 20-30 new companies that could fit 1:20 scale with the current roster of depots. I still think 50% of Texas should be made of new companies though. Reused, recycled companies, despite making new prefabs, will still feel like copy paste. Walmart being the biggest culprit. Walmart is the most disappointing depot in ATS. Too many of them. Where is Target at least. Sam's and Costco. Those 4 alone can seriously help ATS not seem so repetitive on the retail side.
Last edited by flight50 on 09 Jan 2022 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
Xaagon

#2264 Post by Xaagon » 09 Jan 2022 16:18

VTXcnME wrote: 09 Jan 2022 11:49 Inevitiably with it being your home state, there are things you'll want that won't make the DLC which will be a letdown.
This was my experience with Colorado DLC.

Phase 1: Wow, awesome graphics. This feature looks great! That feature looks great!
Phase 2: Going from A to B, oh wow we're already here... that trip seemed really short.
Phase 3: Hey... Z is missing. Oh, Y is missing to. Look there, V connects directly to X and W is missing.
Phase 4: It would be really nice if these roads were included instead of just ending in stubs.
Phase 5: I accept that ATS is not reality... but it would still be nice to get these roads.
VTXcnME

#2265 Post by VTXcnME » 10 Jan 2022 15:27

@flight50 The scale is what throws off what will or won't make the game. There's the obvious they won't include like "Bob's Road" that is a little side road off a side road to no where. But then there are some other places that I sometimes scratch my head. for me in NM- US-60 from Socorro back east toward Tucumcari. It exists on either end of the state, but the middle of it is completely missing. Feels like a strange thing to leave out. I assume again, it was partially due to scale. I just worry what get's axed in that manner, due to the scaling issues. I'm hoping that given Maine is so far off, there will be a stepped scale change going up the eastern seaboard to help account for some of the smallest states. But like you said, that's probably realistically about a decade away, so we'll see how it goes at that time.

I'm hoping that some of those suburb cities make it as 'scenery' towns basically turning DFW area into a large metropolis (as it kind of is really...) with more depots and businesses. Like you've said, perfect way to incorporate more companies into the fold. Even some, GASP competing companies. Having petroleum companies Exxon/Texaco/BP and chem companies DOW/BASF could really help give a feel of a diversity and saturation of a market area. Obviously with different names, because licensing. But man.... what a trip it would be to have 5 or 6 petrol/chem depots around DFW that you could shuttle to and from.

Guess time will tell. Still trying to moderate my enthusiasm. Especially as we get later into the year. I'm still hoping for a surprise in April/May with a "coming soon" announcement. Possible June/July release. Where's the fingers crossed emoji?
flight50

#2266 Post by flight50 » 10 Jan 2022 16:55

If DFW and Houston are not the large metroplexes that they really are, that will get some negative feedback from those that know the areas. Scale is definitely an issue but to make these areas feel huge, SCS has to cut out quite a bit. They'll have to make the best of it. Inside and outside those metro areas will be cuts. Scenery is one thing in the metro areas but industry is what sets it all up. Get in the industry to exploit and fill in the blanks with scenery. Those metro areas is what will help pave the way for how metroplexes come about for the Bay area and LA area in California and beyond imo. It will be while before we get to Chicago metro, Miami metro, Washington DC, NYC, Philly, ATL, etc. So Texas is a good learning tool. DFW and Houston are being developed now. SCS is not at the Bay Area yet. They are not in Los Angeles yet. But they can use their experience from Texas as a guide to what their limits are. Hopefully the engine upgrades better performance by then because the metro areas will need it.

Texas is being mapped in 2020-ish times. Portland, Seattle, Denver...those can't compare to the top 10 largest cities of the US. Even more so, the top metro areas in the US. For those metro areas, we could be looking double the size of the Seattle's, Portland's and Denver's. In the metro areas, its best to get as many groups of industries as possible...like retail. I'll explain below. A collection of 2-4 companies spread out over 3-4 locations in the metroplex can give the vibe of huge metroplex. When there is 1 or 2 spread all out, that takes up even more space. That space is valuable in ATS. Main culprit....US road networks. They are huge and they demand space if they are to feel realistic. SCS maps the interchanges pretty much 1:1 or pretty close to it. There are some huge interchanges in most large cities. When you have metroplexes, its even worse at 1:20 scale. I think retail and everyday consumer depots is the key. We don't have enough of them. There are pockets of shopping complexes thru out all metro areas left and right. ATS doesn't have enough diversity for those type of places. If the metro area could get these main areas (each with different companies) that brings diversity.

Example, lets use DFW. We can have 4 locations that feature retail areas as they are in reality:
Ft. Worth - Walmart, Costco, Kroger, Carmax, Lowes
Dallas - Target, Sam's, Albertson, Autonation, Home Depot

That is 10 companies for diversity for retail by itself. That adds a lot of variety. Ft. Worth can have 2 pockets of these. Do 3 in one spot and 2 in another. Dallas, same thing. 1 location has 3 and another has 2 on opposite sides of the city. Spread things out now by mixing in things like Plaster and Sons (need new company), Olthon homes, Heartwood Furniture, Butimen (need new company), Charged, NAMIQ, 2-3 gas companies, truck dealerships, Sell Goods (need new company) and USBB. Metro areas could easily get 20 depots and that would make metro areas feel huge. Add in the one offs or things that both cities could share. Like one of the DFW airports a rail yard or steel company. I am sure we are getting some new companies with Texas that can take the place of any of these I just mentioned. My vision is broad for metro areas. I think the top 10 in the US must be exploited. But SCS has their own vision as well. My vision could be too much, it could be just right, heck I don't know, lol. I can only talk about the vibe. But if SCS can nail metro areas of Texas, that would be a great sign as we move East and for the California rebuild.

I'm always excited to know of progress so I'm with ya on the enthusiasm. When one has visions, you'd like to see them appear if possible. You never know who is reading these threads and agree. You never know what can possible get implemented. I knew way back when I posted a Bellingham logging video and a dev saw it and implement it. He created the Bellingham logging road using that video as reference and did a damn good job. Now that dev is a map lead. Many more instances like this can happen but you never know unless its talked about.
Trucker Nik

#2267 Post by Trucker Nik » 11 Jan 2022 16:02

Today I noticed that in New Mexico near Tacumari there is a sign with the distance on which the city of Amarillo is written, I know that Amarillo has officially confirmed to SCS that it will be part of Texas, I just wanted to share that this detail pleased me that there is a sign with distance to Amarillo, which is located in New Mexico
flight50

#2268 Post by flight50 » 11 Jan 2022 16:13

I-40 is a major road and signage is done by a totally different person than the mappers. So I'm not surprised if the past update brought us more distance signs with numerical values. Considering Texas is wip, it would have to happen sooner or later anyways.
supersobes
Global moderator

#2269 Post by supersobes » 11 Jan 2022 16:55

Locations on signs are added to the game regardless of whether it will be added to the game or not. They're simply there to make the signs authentic. For example, Interstate 5 in Washington has signs for Vancouver, BC, but that does not mean that Canada is coming to the game anytime soon. Even if Texas wasn't the next the state to be coming, the sign on I-40 would have been added anyways.
TheAmir259

#2270 Post by TheAmir259 » 12 Jan 2022 06:50

^^^ Exactly, as stated by sobes.
Ceco wrote: 11 Jan 2022 16:02 Today I noticed that in New Mexico near Tacumari there is a sign with the distance on which the city of Amarillo is written, I know that Amarillo has officially confirmed to SCS that it will be part of Texas, I just wanted to share that this detail pleased me that there is a sign with distance to Amarillo, which is located in New Mexico
In that, you can also see destinations such as Vancouver, BC but that doesn't mean SCS is there just yet, or even ever in some other cases. Unlike how it is done in ETS2, i have not noticed any signboards left empty on offramps inaccessible to us and such. As for distance sign, i don't think so just yet, that might be what you will want to watch out for instead.
Two wrongs don't make a right, three lefts...do :D

Return to “General discussion about the game”