Texas Discussion Thread

Xaagon

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3301 Post by Xaagon » 20 May 2022 14:53

I'm ok with the 4 lanes instead of 6 lanes. When they get closer to Houston you get an insane amount of lanes in real life that would just look weird in ATS. By keeping El Paso to 4 lanes it makes the bigger areas more proportionally correct if they are modeled at something like 8 lanes.

They did this on I-25 in Colorado. Colorado Springs has 6-8 lanes in real life, but has 4-6 in ATS. Makes it proportional to Denver with 8-10 lanes in real life and 6-8 lanes in ATS.

Where I feel ATS really needs to improve is to increase the traffic density in cities, especially around rush hours on weekdays.
Marcello Julio

#3302 Post by Marcello Julio » 20 May 2022 15:00

As for the lane question, I'm fine too. I also agree with Xaagon that the issue of traffic density in cities needs to be improved.
parasaurolophus67

#3303 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 20 May 2022 15:01

I wouldn't mind traffic jams. Least we got something to rage on. Lol
Marcello Julio

#3304 Post by Marcello Julio » 20 May 2022 15:01

Of course, before this, they need to improve the main thing: AI Intelligence
Midiangel

#3305 Post by Midiangel » 20 May 2022 15:07

Silly AI is made specifically to keep players from getting bored. :D
Global moderator

#3306 Post by supersobes » 20 May 2022 15:48

flight50 wrote: 20 May 2022 11:51 Trim down the shoulders.
Shoulder width on Interstate highways is standardized by federal standards. The right shoulder must be a minimum of 10 feet wide. The left shoulder must be a minimum of 4 feet wide when there are two or three lanes and 10 feet wide when there are more than three lanes. The only exceptions to this are roads that have been grandfathered in because they existed before the standards and temporary work zones. They can't just choose to make the shoulder narrower to make space for more lanes. If there's not enough space to retain the minimum shoulder width, then there's not enough space for another lane. If SCS was to trim the shoulder down on an Interstate highway in ATS, it would not look and feel right at all. It would start to feel like a US or state highway and would completely ruin the immersion of the driving on an Interstate.
flight50

#3307 Post by flight50 » 20 May 2022 16:10

Again, ATS is not real life. They even tell us they may have to be fictional when necessary. We don't pull over for emergencies in this game.

I agree on the traffic density. It's far more important than matching real life lanes imo. If SCS stated they are working on busier environment, it makes perfect sense to trim down the lanes. Especially in mega cities. More lanes means more pc fire power needed. It's the compromise. We may not be able to get more lanes and more cars. I'd love to see a rush hr feature without crashing everyone's pc.
JohnMc19

#3308 Post by JohnMc19 » 20 May 2022 16:30

I have no issue with 4 lanes. I was opening links that bedavd was sending in yesterday and scs got the vibe spot on with El Paso. I would expect more lanes once we get a Houston blog. ATS needs that AI density and a rework of the system for AI. I know we got a view of it in a christmas stream not sure what one though could have been 2020, we've heard nothing since then about it so hopefully it's been worked on in the background maybe one day we'll get a under the hood blog about it.
Optional Features

#3309 Post by Optional Features » 20 May 2022 16:47

Lanes to me fall in the same category as mountains and highway curves. SCS at times shows moments of brilliance. At other times, there's a lot of meh.

Salt Lake: great lanes, great curves, terrible mountains.
Denver: decent lanes, great curves, too short mountains.
El Paso: mediocre lanes, decent curves, great mountains.
Sora

#3310 Post by Sora » 20 May 2022 17:09

flight50 wrote: 20 May 2022 16:10 Again, ATS is not real life. They even tell us they may have to be fictional when necessary. We don't pull over for emergencies in this game.
Does the AI being stupid count as an emergency? Because I use shoulders for that pretty frequently.

Obviously the core problem here is that the AI probably shouldn't randomly stop or slow down in the middle of freeways, but as long as they do, I appreciate having a means to not ram them.

Then again, I HAVE seen similar maneuvers in real life as a result of slow drivers getting in front of fast trucks because ???. So maybe that's a form of realism too. In any case I'd much rather have shoulders than an extra two lanes, especially since they'd just highlight how empty ATS traffic is.

Return to “General discussion about the game”