Texas Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3311 Post by flight50 » 20 May 2022 17:28

In the screenshots that people are talking about, thinner shoulders would be a problem when you have concrete barriers or obstacles preventing you access to go off pavement. But when there is grass to the side, the shoulder is usually not a concern in the game. Paved or not you can get over if needed. As long as we have one side or the other, we good.

Here is an example off I-30 East of Rockwall Texas.

[ external image ]

Here is US-287 West of Wichita Falls

[ external image ]

Here is US-90 in Northwest of Del Rio Texas

[ external image ]

So we don't have to have wide shoulders or even both shoulders on both sides. SCS can do whatever they need to do. Regulations and rules..........that's real world. Some of you all want too much realism sometimes in this game and that's not always necessary at every corner. The point is to have fun and all the rules and regulations expected in this game is not everyone's idea of having fun. The game needs to be loose which is why the term @Vinnie Terranova uses as Simcade is a great way to look at ATS/ETS2. Its not a professional learning tool and its not exactly full arcade.
SuchManor

#3312 Post by SuchManor » 20 May 2022 17:37

It doesn’t make any sense to me why SCS would do 4 lanes instead of 6, especially in a large city like El Paso. The scale would be minimally affected. Also, don’t trim down the shoulders by any means. Interstates are heavily standardized and should be that way in game as well, no matter the “realistic” argument. What if eventually we DO have to pull over for emergencies? Is SCS gonna go back to widen all of the narrowed shoulders? With that being said if they are going to make lots of lanes like in Houston, they HAVE to solve the empty road problem or it will essentially ruin the feeling of Texas. Some very questionable decisions are constantly being made for this game lol.

@flight50 Can’t compare US routes to interstates. Both regulated differently. I’m all for narrow shoulders on US routes.

And honestly wide shoulders on interstates make it feel like a large US road, which they are. Narrow shoulders will just make it feel weird.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
flight50

#3313 Post by flight50 » 20 May 2022 19:12

The very first picture I showed is I-30. I stated tgat in the description. Its concurrent with I-30 so you have to ignire the Google tag. Both shoulders are not the same. So the argument of wide shoulders are mute.
Vinnie Terranova

#3314 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 20 May 2022 19:51

Sora wrote: 20 May 2022 17:09In any case I'd much rather have shoulders than an extra two lanes, especially since they'd just highlight how empty ATS traffic is.
The problem of empty ATS traffic should not be 'solved' by using fewer lanes. That's the world upside down. The problem of empty ATS traffic should be solved with more traffic. This however raises another problem: potato computers can't handle more traffic. Solving the latter problem is an other discussion.
SuchManor

#3315 Post by SuchManor » 20 May 2022 20:02

flight50 wrote: 20 May 2022 19:12 The very first picture I showed is I-30. I stated tgat in the description. Its concurrent with I-30 so you have to ignire the Google tag. Both shoulders are not the same. So the argument of wide shoulders are mute.
From my experience I would almost say most interstates have a smaller left shoulder and the minimum required width right shoulder, which I-30 has. Maybe I’m missing what you are trying to point out with the photos. Usually wide left shoulders are only through densely populated or dangerous areas. That should be the case where applicable in ATS. Both shoulders wide in those areas (if so IRL) and narrow left but still wide right shoulders elsewhere, as required. More lanes usually don’t, and shouldn't equal narrow shoulders.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
Sora

#3316 Post by Sora » 20 May 2022 20:24

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 20 May 2022 19:51 The problem of empty ATS traffic should not be 'solved' by using fewer lanes. That's the world upside down. The problem of empty ATS traffic should be solved with more traffic. This however raises another problem: potato computers can't handle more traffic. Solving the latter problem is an other discussion.
I'm not advertising this as a long-term "solution", because as you say, it's something that needs to be fixed properly.

But for the time being, I'm not sacrificing shoulders for useless filler lanes that only make the road look emptier. That's all.
supersobes
Global moderator

#3317 Post by supersobes » 20 May 2022 20:27

SuchManor wrote: 20 May 2022 17:37 Can’t compare US routes to interstates. Both regulated differently. I’m all for narrow shoulders on US routes.

And honestly wide shoulders on interstates make it feel like a large US road, which they are. Narrow shoulders will just make it feel weird.
And this is exactly the point I was trying to make. Interstate highways have specific shoulder and lane width requirements, which make them feel different when you're driving on them compared roads built to inferior standards, such as a lot of US and state highways. Changing the design of the Interstate to something else won't make it feel right. The player won't get the experience of driving on an Interstate highway.
Rasp91

#3318 Post by Rasp91 » 20 May 2022 20:50

hi, i don't know where to write it, but why do we still have all the roads so straight without any potholes etc? When I take a good look at the roads in the USA, it's the same hole in the road that has been repaired several times and the trucks are literally jumping. Why does every new blog in ATS look like the road was made new yesterday?

PS: sorry, google translator🇨🇿🇺🇸
I use google translator 🇨🇿🇺🇸
parasaurolophus67

#3319 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 20 May 2022 20:53

Ets2 would have that too you know v: Anyway they might not have learned how to do that yet as of now.
Optional Features

#3320 Post by Optional Features » 20 May 2022 21:09

Rasp91 wrote: 20 May 2022 20:50 hi, i don't know where to write it, but why do we still have all the roads so straight without any potholes etc? When I take a good look at the roads in the USA, it's the same hole in the road that has been repaired several times and the trucks are literally jumping. Why does every new blog in ATS look like the road was made new yesterday?

PS: sorry, google translator🇨🇿🇺🇸
This is a much bigger problem than the number of lanes.

Return to “General discussion about the game”