Texas Discussion Thread

Tristman

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3821 Post by Tristman » 27 Jun 2022 09:33

We have some round prefabs, like the Deepgrove forestry sites, the Vitas Power wind turbine sites or some of the quarries. Not very many though. With how grid-patterned US cities are, I wouldn’t expect to find round prefabs inside the cities really.

Also, now that they want to move to more modular prefabs, wouldn’t it make sense to stick to a square shape rather than a round one? I feel like round would be more difficult to work with.

I hope Texas will progress the modular prefabs further, as there are already some successful examples. One that comes to mind is Gallon in Cheyenne. The prefab itself is extremely basic, but they stuck it in between some oil storage scenery pieces to make it look like a custom prefab. I would love to see more of that.
flight50

#3822 Post by flight50 » 27 Jun 2022 14:49

^Yes grid/square is easier to work with for sure. For me, that's why I mention one offs or things that are remote to a city. I'd don't see why we can't get prefabs of any sort really. But I'm thinking of prefabs that are L shaped, T shaped, D shaped, C or U shaped or even P and V shaped. Now here's the thing, over all shape could be square or rectangular....to make them easier to build. But the paths within them can be any of the shapes I mentioned. We can even get a S shaped in the mix. This is how the devs need to be creative with creating barriers and obstacles to make prefabs a tad more challenging. This is where modular comes in. If things can be instances (meaning every prefab can be its own individual), then full modular can allow any component on the prefab to be adjusted, or hidden and not affect any other prefab. If SCS can figure that out, we have a game changer. No two places would ever be the same.

Now beyond L, T and U/C, things are odder for sure as real life may not do many depots like that in which SCS actually puts in the game. But the shapes I mention can be done with any of the off roading depots....farms, mines, wind farms, oil sites, waste dumps, landscape depot and logging camps. These don't have to be so symmetrical. The environments around these type places is a lot more forgiving and allows for creative forgiveness. I'm not sure how much Texas exploits creativity but I am sure many are eager to find out. A small change in mindset is possible with a new map lead so I wouldn't underestimate him. Each lead may think slightly different. Out the box is good. Present that to the team and you never know what can happen.

Texas will be another state added to our game world but the biggest issues that comes is because its huge, because it offers what it does in real life, the expectations are super high with it. Solid chance that it disappoints many because the expectation set per individual, won't be met. Go in with lower expectations and Texas will could be just as good as Colorado and Wyoming in its own way. Don't expect mountains ranges of beauty. There are some in the Western part and Southwest (that probably doesn't make the game). The entire state is not a forest like Oregon/Washington but pretty much the entire Eastern part is. There is no CA-1/US-101 coastline but there is the Gulf Coast that offers something.

What Texas can bring is an abundance of cities, roads and industries. Texas's size is its best asset, so more fits in it. The problem that most people will have.....is what is put in it. For me and this is just my thinking, the worst thing that can happen for Texas is too many recycled depots. For a new region in ATS, that would be the most devasting part a state of this size and potential to embrace a new region. When you see how ETS2 operates with new regions, Texas would be the let down. Same industries is totally different than same companies. SCS can reuse every single industry available in Texas and completely get away with it if 100% of the companies that covered every industry was brand new. But that won't happen. Next to zero chance that happens. Things just don't work like that. There must be some reused depots on the national level like Home Store (Home Depot), Walmart (Wallbert), USBB (not sure exact who this is), or Best Buy (Charged). But what can happen is start thinking of ATS as regions just like ETS2 and not only national.

If Texas pulled off a 50/50 split for new companies and recycled ones, that would par the hole. Better imo is a 60/40 or even 70/30. The worse that happens is the complete opposite in 40/60 or 30/70. In this equation, (new companies/reused companies) is the example. With (2) dedicated 2d artist on board for each game, with the concept art shown on the 2 microsites, I just find it disappointing to not turn them loose and bring a lot more variety and diversity to ATS overall. So much new can uplift ATS. Not just Texas but pump as much new as possible into ATS. Bring new energy and all these over used companies in ATS, can get swapped out to make the game feel deeper with the economy more like ETS2 does. Whether Montana jump starts this or Texas, doesn't really matter. But there is a growing concern with more people than myself. I've been talking about ICCs and diversity for some time now and happy to see many of you are starting to see the repetitiveness in the economy. This is all positive feedback generated requesting for change. I don't think I've trashed the devs in asking for this change but as a community, feedback in a combined effort is a change that we all can make. Its feedback that if I was a dev, I'd consider heavily. Some people don't want to pay for new maps and get old stuff predominately. However people are at ease more paying for a new map with new things. Then you have those that just don't care as long as they are driving.
Mooner_37

#3823 Post by Mooner_37 » 27 Jun 2022 16:48

I went behind the barriers and you can fly cam to unfinished El Paso on the I-10, nice :D
Current Headquarters: Liège, Berlin, L.A. Luxemburg, Seattle
Current Trucks: ETS2: 15 ATS: 2
Driving Truck: ETS2: DAF XF ATS: Peterbilt 579
Current Mileage: ETS2: 462,317 km (287,270 miles) - ATS: 384,392 km (238,850 miles)
Level: ETS2: 65 - ATS: 55
SuchManor

#3824 Post by SuchManor » 27 Jun 2022 17:07

The cylindrical poles for signs were added for Texas. Thank you SCS and @natvander
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
Ryley03d

#3825 Post by Ryley03d » 27 Jun 2022 17:13

CLEARVIEW FONT ON THE ROADS
The_SimTrucker

#3826 Post by The_SimTrucker » 27 Jun 2022 17:25

seriousmods wrote: 26 Jun 2022 22:47 If SCS used the resources they have already provided for themselves, we'd have about 35 cargo options for oilfield.
That oilfield patch is made by someone that did pay a more than usual amount of attention to detail. But in order to make this into cargo's SCS needs to introduce a texas bed truck. That is probably not going to happen anytime soon.
Trucker Nik

#3827 Post by Trucker Nik » 27 Jun 2022 17:55

Texas 7 inputs

1. US-87 (Raton)
2. I-40 (Tucumari)
3. US-60 (Clovis)
4. US-62 (Hobbs)
5. US-285 (Carlsbad)
6. US-54 (Alamongordo you can see a redesigned intersection)
7. I-10 (Las Cruces)
Optional Features

#3828 Post by Optional Features » 27 Jun 2022 18:22

thesimp wrote: 27 Jun 2022 17:25 That oilfield patch is made by someone that did pay a more than usual amount of attention to detail. But in order to make this into cargo's SCS needs to introduce a texas bed truck. That is probably not going to happen anytime soon.
Or a highboy/scissorneck.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Tristman

#3829 Post by Tristman » 27 Jun 2022 18:34

I have to say, what we can see of El Paso so far is very impressive..
Shiva

#3830 Post by Shiva » 27 Jun 2022 18:39

8. US-62 between Carlsbad and El Paso
9. US-84, Clovis, towards Lubbock
10.US-54 Tucumcari, towards Dalhart. It is quite barebones, but the road is there.

Texas road connections not quite release ready, on some parts, but not far off.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

Return to “General discussion about the game”