Texas Discussion Thread

clifflandmark

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3761 Post by clifflandmark » 24 Jun 2022 23:32

seriousmods, I'm following your requests. If I remember correctly, a forum member whose profile photo is sylvester stallone at expendables (Jeef?), and kooliz, you are making suggestions that I hadn't thought of.

Following your posts gives clues about how the game market will be in the future. That's why I read with pleasure. However, it would not be consistent to expect from SCS what the game market is trying to do but has not yet succeeded in.

Even games like Cyberpunk, RDR, Witcher failed to create a living and functional atmosphere.
Bethesda constantly promotes Starfield for fear of disappointing Elder Scrolls fans. Some of the TES fans have gotten married, had children, have aged, and some of 'em have already died and Todd Howard still says for TESVI : "we r creating a world people will discover for decades." lol

Consider the big companies that can't respond to so many demands. We put a lot of pressure on SCS in terms of "living world".

It would be more accurate to focus on the things that can be changed. If this is a simulation, please demand that they focus on trucks, roads, conditions that may affect trucks, truck economy.

2 trucks and 1 map could be missing this year and they could be replaced by real suspension, real asphalt features.

Cracks, cracks and potholes on asphalt and concrete roads, together with real suspension, could almost give the feeling of playing a brand new game. Traffic can be improved, the number and types of vehicles can be increased. Traffic in cities can be concentrated.

With the simple but beautiful features I have listed above, the enjoyment we will get from the simulation can be increased.
Optional Features

#3762 Post by Optional Features » 24 Jun 2022 23:44

SouthernMan wrote: 24 Jun 2022 23:05 @seriousmods Perfectly buddy! But I still think at least someone on their team has these same ideas of improving the game, but maybe the established policy of the owner or anyone else at SCS is that they should always deliver a perfect game, as light as possible, etc. It's like "We can't tarnish some parts of the country in the game with rubbish in some places in cities, bumpy roads, etc, etc". It's the only thing I can think of. But I could be wrong.
It definitely seems that way for sure. But doing so makes the game feel much less realistic: grunge and dirt are part of life. Without them, things look fake.
Trakaplex wrote: 24 Jun 2022 23:14 There are mods that enable that, but SCS doing that would be a game changer. Bumpy roads, potholes, realistic animal crossings, flying debris. The weather could improve with the seasonal update, whenever that will be. Tornadoes, hail, realistic lightning, sandstorms, hurricanes, blizzards...

Also speaking of Denver, they need to redo I-70 at Josephine-York Streets. They made it a tunnel with a park on top of it now.
The lack of potholes or even bumps on pretty much all roads in the game just takes away so much from the driving experience. I drive many miles for work, and American roads are nowhere near smooth. But that lack of smoothness is what would make a game road feel real. Flat, perfect, newly paved/poured concrete and asphalt feels like a video game, and doesn't generate the kind of suspension and tire response that should be seen at high speed.
clifflandmark wrote: 24 Jun 2022 23:32 seriousmods, I'm following your requests. If I remember correctly, a forum member whose profile photo is sylvester stallone at expendables (Jeef?), and kooliz, you are making suggestions that I hadn't thought of.

Following your posts gives clues about how the game market will be in the future. That's why I read with pleasure. However, it would not be consistent to expect from SCS what the game market is trying to do but has not yet succeeded in.

Even games like Cyberpunk, RDR, Witcher failed to create a living and functional atmosphere.
Bethesda constantly promotes Starfield for fear of disappointing Elder Scrolls fans. Some of the TES fans have gotten married, had children, have aged, and some of 'em have already died and Todd Howard still says for TESVI : "we r creating a world people will discover for decades." lol

Consider the big companies that can't respond to so many demands. We put a lot of pressure on SCS in terms of "living world".

It would be more accurate to focus on the things that can be changed. If this is a simulation, please demand that they focus on trucks, roads, conditions that may affect trucks, truck economy.

2 trucks and 1 map could be missing this year and they could be replaced by real suspension, real asphalt features.

Cracks, cracks and potholes on asphalt and concrete roads, together with real suspension, could almost give the feeling of playing a brand new game. Traffic can be improved, the number and types of vehicles can be increased. Traffic in cities can be concentrated.

With the simple but beautiful features I have listed above, the enjoyment we will get from the simulation can be increased.
Yes, the three of us have been posting a lot lately in hopes that SCS will take notice and make some improvements.

I don't expect SCS to outdo a much larger developer (although I don't think we should ever connect size to development capability: in some cases, there is a connection, but in many, there isn't).

That said, SCS could do a lot more within the realm of reality to make the game feel much more alive. Take the container cranes for example. We have to park in a very specific spot to load trailers. Too far back or forward, and the game doesn't recognize our trailer. So why not replace the black screen of loading with a short cutscene showing a container crane putting the container onto the trailer (default trailers only). That seems doable.

Right now, the whole ATS game has probably less than 50 character and object animations. The same log loader is working away on every log landing in the game. The AI peds that aren't walking are going through the same motions over and over again, etc. Move that number up, and things would be far better.

Same is true for pedestrians. Look at what SouthernMan is doing with his truckstop edits: they feel much more alive, and it hasn't even taken him that long. Just a few people walking around and doing things makes it feel less like the first weeks of the pandemic when roads and public places were abandoned.

And finally, AI improvements: look at what an AI vehicle can do currently. AI trucks cannot back in to docks. AI trucks cannot pick up trailers from docks. AI trucks rarely are seen pulling into a truckstop and stopping for the night. AI trucks aren't ever seeing leaving companies after picking up a load. AI trucks basically just travel around the map on splines going from nowhere to nowhere. Again, some improvements there, and the game would feel much better.

SCS has no lack of talent in their team: they have a lack of passion I feel. With what they have already shown they can do, turned up to its max, they could produce a far more impressive product. The map is already mostly good: it's the other stuff we need.
SouthernMan

#3763 Post by SouthernMan » 24 Jun 2022 23:48

@clifflandmark Yeah, maybe sometimes we're demanding more than SCS can deliver at the moment. But I also believe that there are things that SCS can bring at the moment, such as, for example, better sound in the environment (using the system that already exists). When I talk about a livelier environment, I usually mean sounds in general (I don't mean the sound of trucks, cars, but sounds of winds, things like that).
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
SouthernMan

#3765 Post by SouthernMan » 25 Jun 2022 00:03

@seriousmods Exactly that, buddy! These are the sounds I'm referring to!
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
Optional Features

#3766 Post by Optional Features » 25 Jun 2022 00:08

SouthernMan wrote: 25 Jun 2022 00:03 @seriousmods Exactly that, buddy! These are the sounds I'm referring to!
Yeah, and listen to all the noise from the road: all of those gaps in the surface creating their own sound effect as well as the sound of engines and whatnot.
SouthernMan

#3767 Post by SouthernMan » 25 Jun 2022 00:22

@seriousmodsAs soon as I know how to convert sounds for the game (to put in the map editor), I will add these sounds to the trucks stops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecn5KdoJ6yc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lb-rPEwbvg&t=16639s
Optional Features

#3768 Post by Optional Features » 25 Jun 2022 00:47

SouthernMan wrote: 25 Jun 2022 00:22 @seriousmodsAs soon as I know how to convert sounds for the game (to put in the map editor), I will add these sounds to the trucks stops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecn5KdoJ6yc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lb-rPEwbvg&t=16639s
Oh awesome!

That'll be great with all the activity you're adding!
ASUSTechSupport

#3769 Post by ASUSTechSupport » 25 Jun 2022 05:07

flight50 wrote: 24 Jun 2022 04:43 Hmmmm, pic 13 is debatable at that spot. It could be this one though. https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3975063 ... 328!8i1664. It could be truncated due to scale so SCS combine your reference and the one I just linked. Normally SCS wouldn't mess up that road type. The Google reference has a median in the middle for the vast majority of US-60 is split. Pic 13 doesn't have a median. That turning lane would be totally incorrect.
I think the location that you indicated is referenced separately in game. I believe your location is represented by the orange arrow and my location is represented by the blue arrow. They definitely had to compromise in terms of accuracy regarding the road configuration, but I guess it is possible that this changes by release.

[ external image ]
Viper28

#3770 Post by Viper28 » 25 Jun 2022 05:46

clifflandmark wrote: 24 Jun 2022 23:32 seriousmods, I'm following your requests. If I remember correctly, a forum member whose profile photo is sylvester stallone at expendables (Jeef?), and kooliz, you are making suggestions that I hadn't thought of.

Yes. In fact, I was sadly surprised to learn today while trucking a map area of beautiful Idaho, that the lovely road shoulder texture was simply just that; a texture. No contour, simply flat where the edge of the paved road "looked to drop off" to the dirt. And I know that they do have the ability to do this since I've seen it done at delivery sites (rather well I might add). I get that they can't do everything, but some of this surely can't be that crazy to do. But, AND IT'S MY OPINION, I've wondered all along if they're internally having a retention problem on their map teams...I mean who is going to remain content making maps for years on end...especially if they're ambitious young developers and computer programmers. Another thing: how about a couple of those hazardous 4 way stops where instead of texture groves warning on the approach they've simply painted white lines. That's just pathetic. Groove the pavement and add the sound. In fact, I have an intersection with those about 8 miles from where I live if they'd mail me some recording device I'd catch the sound for them. Heck for the price of eggs, texture the grooves and add the quality sound when one drives over them and that's not a bad simulation. But again, in many ways (and some of which are just lazy) corners are cut and excuses are plentiful.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK

Return to “General discussion about the game”