Texas Discussion Thread

bagnome

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#2241 Post by bagnome » 06 Jan 2022 20:52

supersobes wrote: 05 Jan 2022 23:45 Texas isn't the only state that has a lot of protected left turns with a yield phase. It's extremely common in the vast majority of states, and frankly, it's something that should have been in the game since day one. Sadly, typical California intersections do not have a protected + yield left turn. This is one of the many unfortunate side effects of California being the first state added to the game. But I do agree with flight50 that it's better if they started adding it sooner rather than later. The longer they wait, the more intersections there will be to have to go back and fix the signaling at later.
One thing that SCS could do if they wanted traffic signals that are more distinctly Texan are those ones with two red left turn arrows (or just two solid red lights) on a left turn signal regardless of whether or not it provides a yield. This is something I've always noticed when I go to Houston, at Least. Maybe it's just a Houston thing. I'm not sure if I've seen them outside that area.

Here's a Google Street view link to what I'm talking about: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8033999 ... 384!8i8192

I think the reason behind them is to prevent a yellow trap. Or so I've heard, but that doesn't seem right.
The mutcd also says it's a valid configuration for a traffic light to protect against a bulb burning out, but it seems to be used nowhere else (that I've seen). Maybe they had the budget for it one year and there was a push to make roads safer so they just went for it at the time.
AntonioMart

#2242 Post by AntonioMart » 06 Jan 2022 21:07

I wonder if there will be a Cadillac Ranch in the Amarillo? I think yes. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Ranch
Trucker_Tommy

#2243 Post by Trucker_Tommy » 06 Jan 2022 21:52

What does double red arrows mean?
supersobes
Global moderator

#2244 Post by supersobes » 06 Jan 2022 22:21

bagnome wrote: 06 Jan 2022 20:52 I think the reason behind them is to prevent a yellow trap. Or so I've heard, but that doesn't seem right.
I'm not sure how a double red arrow would prevent a yellow trap. A single red arrow would always tell left turning traffic to stop, so there's no risk of a yellow trap there to begin with.
bagnome wrote: 06 Jan 2022 20:52 The mutcd also says it's a valid configuration for a traffic light to protect against a bulb burning out, but it seems to be used nowhere else (that I've seen). Maybe they had the budget for it one year and there was a push to make roads safer so they just went for it at the time.
Redundancy in case of bulb failure or increased conspicuity for safety seems like likely reasons for having a double red arrow.

Another reason I can think of is maybe it's used as a flashing red arrow at certain times of the day. A flashing red arrow is to be treated like a stop sign. Left turning traffic must come to a complete stop and may proceed when the way is clear.

Flashing red arrow example:
flight50

#2245 Post by flight50 » 06 Jan 2022 23:31

bagnome wrote: 06 Jan 2022 20:52
One thing that SCS could do if they wanted traffic signals that are more distinctly Texan are those ones with two red left turn arrows (or just two solid red lights) on a left turn signal regardless of whether or not it provides a yield. This is something I've always noticed when I go to Houston, at Least. Maybe it's just a Houston thing. I'm not sure if I've seen them outside that area.
That's pretty much what I said here. We have double red arrows everywhere in Texas. Its not just Houston. SCS does need to implement the correct orientation of the lights where the are actually horizontal though. That will kill the vibe of an intersection pretty quick.
flight50 wrote: 06 Jan 2022 05:32
Your example of 8 Lanes in Houston may not allow a yielding left. Those huge interactions typically have 2 turning lanes here in Texas and they can be protected only with double red arrows. Too much traffic for some of the busiest roads to allow yield first then go. The ones that have signs with flashing yellows are typically the only ones that have yield left turns along with protected left.
The reason for double red arrows is explained here. https://www.plano.gov/548/Left-Turn-Sig ... d%20arrows.

I have yet to come cross a flashing red arrow here in my town. Not saying they don't exist but I've never seen one. Flash reds here are solid red lights, not arrows.
_Roger_

#2246 Post by _Roger_ » 07 Jan 2022 01:34

Always amazes me how complicated the US makes everything.
bagnome

#2247 Post by bagnome » 07 Jan 2022 03:07

Maybe for the engineers that have to plan out and pave the roads, but as a user they're pretty simple and straight forward to drive on. And navigation is a breeze.
flight50

#2248 Post by flight50 » 07 Jan 2022 03:44

I have to agree with @bagnome. Its pretty straight forward and simple. I don't find navigating difficult. Now some of the interchanges, that is a different story. Even then, I wouldn't say they are trying to make them complicated, but it is what it is. They are working within the space they have to deal with. They can't always stretch things out. Cost of building materials are sky high and space are culprits to some things that may seem complicated. Most cities have much older networks going thru them. But when they reconstruct roads, things become a lot more simpler to navigate. A lot of city is already surrounding most roads. You can't tear down the city and widen roads in most cases so you go low, you go high and/or compact. The one good thing about roads in the US though is the signage and road markings. Even without gps, you can typically navigate around if you try to understand how things work. I know some people just can't navigate and it frustrates them. They'd rather take surface roads.

This Texas dlc should have a pretty good road network though. It will be highly talked about I bet along with the cities and maybe even the industries that come to the dlc. If Texas doesn't boost the daily ATS player base by another 1k or more, its going to take a lot more map and trucks to bring in the bacon. It would help if certain things happened in ATS as well. More dlc support other than maps. Features and one of the biggest game changes to me would be seasons. Its almost like you can get 2-4 games in one. I say 2-4 because not all geographic areas of the US experience all 4 seasons equally. But the places that do............man will it be sweet. Seeing how the landscape change due to season can make a huge difference in ATS.
Texshi

#2249 Post by Texshi » 07 Jan 2022 07:15

Bedavd wrote: 06 Jan 2022 17:23 Unless it changes, seems like at least where one HEB is in real life will be using a Walbert depot.
That is unfortunate if so, They could've come up with a creative 3 letter store franchise for Texas and change things up a bit give it a variety for each state.. since HEB is a Texas based grocery chain it would make sense to only see that particular made up grocery chain while other states it wouldn't be there
For SCS P389/P589 Tuning Pack Part Suggestions Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/eaEjKr9
Peterbilt 379 / 389 Tuning Example Inspirations Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/DDGTDPW

Peterbilt forever!
Shiva

#2250 Post by Shiva » 07 Jan 2022 13:07

Things can still change. Shop names can still change too.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

Return to “General discussion about the game”