Texas Discussion Thread

SCS_Annie
SCS Software

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#4761 Post by SCS_Annie » 18 Aug 2022 08:52

55sixxx wrote: 18 Aug 2022 00:02 Trailer variety is kinda controversial here, because the majority of trailers you see in the US are 53'ft dry vans and reefers. Flatbeds are the second most common sight I'd say so to be realistic you can't have that much variety... But yeah, the trailer designs needs to be a bit simpler.
That's very interesting, thank you for the feedback! Trailer designs are (sadly) actually not something our department is responsible for, (I say "sadly" because it's something I've wanted to get my hands on for years :D) that falls on the vehicle department, but should that change in the future, I'll definitely keep this in mind!
2D artist (Concept art & branding) for American Truck Simulator.
Working at SCS Software since 2020.

Instagram
Seerman

#4762 Post by Seerman » 18 Aug 2022 08:58

Somewhere on the forum it was also recently discussed that there are a lot of white cars in the USA. I would probably put both of these proposals in a separate thread for discussion.
I translate via Google Translate. Sometimes he does it badly. I beg understand and forgive. :geek:

#4763 Post by Marcello Julio » 18 Aug 2022 09:31

SCS_Annie wrote: 18 Aug 2022 08:48 I plan to at some point, it might also be useful to those who create high resolution mods :). I'm bad at updating my social media sites since I'm not really a social media kind of person LOL. I keep forgetting. I might just create an ArtStation and dump everything there once we release Texas, because there's a LOT of concept art to show. And when I say a LOT, I really mean it, the DLC is huge, go figure ;)

ICYMI: a while back we did a Concept Art episode of our under the hood blog series
https://blog.scssoft.com/2022/04/under- ... t-art.html
Interesting to know that Texas has many concepts arts 👀 Hope an eventual Texas release Stream, you and Petr are there to talk more :)
SCS_Annie
SCS Software

#4764 Post by SCS_Annie » 18 Aug 2022 09:44

Marcello Julio wrote: 18 Aug 2022 09:31
SCS_Annie wrote: 18 Aug 2022 08:48 I plan to at some point, it might also be useful to those who create high resolution mods :). I'm bad at updating my social media sites since I'm not really a social media kind of person LOL. I keep forgetting. I might just create an ArtStation and dump everything there once we release Texas, because there's a LOT of concept art to show. And when I say a LOT, I really mean it, the DLC is huge, go figure ;)

ICYMI: a while back we did a Concept Art episode of our under the hood blog series
https://blog.scssoft.com/2022/04/under- ... t-art.html
Interesting to know that Texas has many concepts arts 👀 Hope an eventual Texas release Stream, you and Petr are there to talk more :)
Hate to be the dev who posts ominous eyes emoji, refuses to elaborate further and then leaves, but

👀
2D artist (Concept art & branding) for American Truck Simulator.
Working at SCS Software since 2020.

Instagram
Shiva

#4765 Post by Shiva » 18 Aug 2022 10:03

I do like those trailers that are colourful :)
Sadly those are hard to find IRL in USA.
And most of those plain white trailers? I think they are pick up, drop of trailers.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
flight50

#4766 Post by flight50 » 18 Aug 2022 10:20

SCS_Annie wrote: 18 Aug 2022 08:52 That's very interesting, thank you for the feedback! Trailer designs are (sadly) actually not something our department is responsible for, (I say "sadly" because it's something I've wanted to get my hands on for years :D) that falls on the vehicle department, but should that change in the future, I'll definitely keep this in mind!
The vehicle team! No wonder the designs are what they are. The vehicle tram are not concept artist. They shouldn't be doing company logo imho. Paints different story. Before.........there where no concept artist. Now ATS has 2. The role needs to transfer to the concept artist in both games.

If concept artist are doing the company logos fir buildings and signage, why not do in for everything involving that company which includes trailers.

Great to hear there is a lot of concept art developed. Per each company you design several outcomes. The problem is, only one makes the cut. For all the ones that don't make it, they vanish. Any chance those designs get used somewhere else later with a different company?

Or perhaps reskin an old scenic asset company logo. There is a ton of filler buildings with logo's that I'm sure newer concept art can give life to. Those old assets where done before SCS hired concept artist.
Sora

#4767 Post by Sora » 18 Aug 2022 10:40

It's worth mentioning, of course, that very ornate trailer designs DO exist - you can see one in that image Sobes posted, near the bottom left. But they're uncommon, and I feel like they're mostly used for food.

If, for example, we start adding restaurants as delivery points - those should probably have pretty detailed designs that make you hungry to look at. And you can probably pull it off for food-adjacent companies like farms, ranches, and some grocery stores. But outside of that, yeah, mostly basic white trailers. Maybe a logo and a little decoration at best.

-

On the subject of logos, my favorite fake logo is probably Heartwood Furniture. It's a chair-and-table set, but if you blank out for a second, you can also make it look like an H or a W. It's neat. I also love Tidbit but that's probably the first one that'd get changed since some people have dirty minds and see the harmless, delicious apple as something entirely unfit for polite conversation.

Of the more awkward ones, there's NAMIQ. "I" isn't really used in place of "&" in the US, so it's a pretty weird abbreviation on paper... except, by a stroke of luck, I is also the second letter in "Mines", and North American Mines and Quarries is a viable approach. The other one that bothers me a tad is Zereva CliniCal, which is awkward for a lot of reasons, most obviously (a) it's an unused company, but (b) it's used for scenery in a handful of areas, despite (c) none of those areas being in California, the state it's seemingly named for. I'd actually love to see it (and the rest of the well-known "unused company" trio/quartet) rescued from nonexistence and made into an actual company, even if it's just for a small handful of depots, but unless it gets tied to the California rework specifically, it should proooobably have its name very slightly modified to "Zereva Clinical" with only one lowercase C - so that it makes actual sense being in other states. The name itself works fine without the wordplay.
Tristman

#4768 Post by Tristman » 18 Aug 2022 11:10

I think the pharmaceutical industry is a bit of a difficult one to bring to ATS. They can do the whole production and distribution of it, but I don't see us delivering to hospitals. I think delivering over-the-counter drugs to supermarkets is about the best we could get.

Regarding trailers, In Europe it's more common to see simple but colorful trailers on the road. Perhaps that's the reason why we see so many colored trailers in ATS.
Personally I a lot of the trailer designs we have in ATS, but having simpler designs in the future makes sense.
flight50

#4769 Post by flight50 » 18 Aug 2022 11:56

I agree with Sora that the flashy trailer designs are usually food related. There are some that stand out like Mayflower, Allied and even Schneider. There are others too but most are simple.

I've never cared much for Wallbert. Then Johnson & Johnson, Golitah and Darwing show up. Those are doing too much for North America. Wallbert needs a complete redo, J&J remove the tracks and for Golitah, remove the rib cage of the hull dumper.

If Texas is coming with a decent number of new companies, I am sure we will get more undesired trailer skins as well. Every company in the game should have a corresponding trailer for the most part. I wouldn't expect airports, sea ports nor railyards to have them exactly.
fra_ba

#4770 Post by fra_ba » 18 Aug 2022 12:07

Tristman wrote: 18 Aug 2022 11:10 I think the pharmaceutical industry is a bit of a difficult one to bring to ATS.
Do we have a pharma industry in ETS2? I remember delivering vaccines from Airports in France to some dcs!

Return to “General discussion about the game”