Texas Discussion Thread

angrybirdseller

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3411 Post by angrybirdseller » 24 May 2022 04:30

Mapper will not get all that detailed where you do not drive near makes no sense, and person testing the games for optimization would give no go. When GPU and CPU get more effiecent to handle it you can add more detail at the street level with time, but currently vast majority have GPU in the Nividia 1060 range or lower and cpu are from 2018 and earlier.
supersobes
Global moderator

#3412 Post by supersobes » 24 May 2022 06:04

supersobes wrote: 24 May 2022 03:25 I also should mention that this street in Denver is just an arbitrary street meant to fill the scenery. Comparing it to Google Maps, it doesn't correspond to any street in the real world, while most drivable streets in the game do. For those of us who are looking for realism, having the streets correspond to a real street is very important.
I wanted to elaborate on this point that I made. The two ends of the non/driveable street in ATS are almost nine miles away from each other and are actually in completely different cities (SCS made Aurora part of Denver in ATS even though it really should have been its own city). In the in-game scenery, that street represents all of the suburbs between Josephine Street in Denver and Chambers Road in Aurora. In my opinion, if SCS was to let the player drive on that street, it would completely ruin the immersion of what that street is meant to represent. No such road exists in real world as this singular road is being used to represent an entire neighborhood on a 1:20 scale. Even Google Maps navigation takes you on I-70 between these two places rather than going through the neighborhood. By making the player use I-70 like Google Maps suggests, it allows SCS to build the map in a way that gives the player the sensation that Denver and Aurora are further apart than they actually are, closer to the real world distance. And it worked really well, in my opinion. Opening the road the player would ruin that.

[ external image ]
Optional Features

#3413 Post by Optional Features » 24 May 2022 07:08

If we're going to talk about the realism of SCS maps, there's a ton of things that take away from immersion far more than a connecting road (lack of elevation changes, no bumps, no road crowning, lanes too wide, no cracks or weathering, no pedestrians, terrible ai, physical rope barriers in front of every business, etc).

SCS gets some roads generally in the right place, but the overall feel is often wrong. I just drove through some of the reworked Cali cities, and was stunned by some of the stuff I saw. Flatness where there are hills. Mountain passes that almost start in the city. Opportunities for industry replaced with deco buildings, etc.

A few extra roads would do far more good than harm.
SouthernMan

#3414 Post by SouthernMan » 25 May 2022 18:32

In fact, if we are going to talk about realism, the SCS map will never fit into that, since at 1:20 scale things are all different... If you want to talk about realism, the scale should be 1:1, so that would be realism. If we consider that SCS shouldn't do some streets because it would take away the immersion, unfortunately she has a lot to tidy up on her map(some roads that are straight in real life but ingame they made curves, places that have mountains but shouldn't have, etc, etc, etc).
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
Xaagon

#3415 Post by Xaagon » 25 May 2022 18:42

Where there are XXXXX barriers, I would like to see SCS give us one more block. That is, move the XXXXX barriers a little farther away from the roads we're meant to drive on. If you look down the side street you're not supposed to be on you see the XXXXX barrier, but make it not so obvious being right next to the road you are on. Exceptions would be for roads connecting to not yet released DLC.

I know there's a mod or two out there to make the XXXXX barriers less obvious or completely eliminate them, but for vanilla ATS I think those barriers are a bit immersion breaking. If they were placed one block away we still might make a wrong turn, but that's on the player. Driving straight through you'd see the side street without the barrier unless you looked directly down the street.

That said, on freeways we probably would still need to deal with the barriers right next to the intended paths as most places they haven't mapped out the next turn around opportunity if you miss your exit.
MirM

#3416 Post by MirM » 25 May 2022 18:49

@Xaagon

Type in dev console:

g_show_game_blockers "0"

--------------
SuchManor

#3417 Post by SuchManor » 25 May 2022 18:56

seriousmods wrote: 24 May 2022 07:08 physical rope barriers in front of every business
Lol don’t even get me started. Things like this are what make the game world feel so small and unauthentic. Just put an invisible barrier there instead or no barrier at all. Players really aren’t going to be turning into random parking lots.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
Xaagon

#3418 Post by Xaagon » 25 May 2022 19:03

MirM wrote: 25 May 2022 18:49 @Xaagon

Type in dev console:

g_show_game_blockers "0"

--------------
I suppose technically that wouldn't be a mod. It should probably be an on/off button in the gameplay options though.
Optional Features

#3419 Post by Optional Features » 25 May 2022 19:27

SuchManor wrote: 25 May 2022 18:56
seriousmods wrote: 24 May 2022 07:08 physical rope barriers in front of every business
Lol don’t even get me started. Things like this are what make the game world feel so small and unauthentic. Just put an invisible barrier there instead or no barrier at all. Players really aren’t going to be turning into random parking lots.
And if I want to drive into a random parking lot, that is on me.

Why should the makers of an open world make it impossible for me to explore said open world? What if I have a car mod? Maybe I want to rp driving to a bank.

It's ridiculous lol
Optional Features

#3420 Post by Optional Features » 25 May 2022 19:32

Xaagon wrote: 25 May 2022 18:42 Where there are XXXXX barriers, I would like to see SCS give us one more block. That is, move the XXXXX barriers a little farther away from the roads we're meant to drive on. If you look down the side street you're not supposed to be on you see the XXXXX barrier, but make it not so obvious being right next to the road you are on. Exceptions would be for roads connecting to not yet released DLC.

I know there's a mod or two out there to make the XXXXX barriers less obvious or completely eliminate them, but for vanilla ATS I think those barriers are a bit immersion breaking. If they were placed one block away we still might make a wrong turn, but that's on the player. Driving straight through you'd see the side street without the barrier unless you looked directly down the street.

That said, on freeways we probably would still need to deal with the barriers right next to the intended paths as most places they haven't mapped out the next turn around opportunity if you miss your exit.
Yeah, that would be nice.

On the freeway exits, we just need more of them in general. Even if they lead to nothing, it would be nice to be able to take all of them. And sometimes there is detail on them, just not completed. I found a farm in Utah that had a freeway exit, but the whole thing is blocked off.

Return to “General discussion about the game”