Texas Discussion Thread

Optional Features

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#5601 Post by Optional Features » 02 Oct 2022 04:34

flight50 wrote: 02 Oct 2022 04:28 That blade is also one that I posted in the ST thread as part of turbine parts. A modder did it...great. How well does the rears work on the trailer with the blade though. That is the main question. Does it use rear steerable axles? That is exactly what I proposed once with the extend tube trailer. Which is exactly what you posted.
Yep! The challenge is turning sharp enough, but not too sharp as it swings out a bit (this would probably be controlled by a second person irl). But it seems to work pretty well. I'm heading north from the Vitas plant in Colorado to a wind farm in Wyoming.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Check your pms: sent you a link.
flight50

#5602 Post by flight50 » 02 Oct 2022 04:48

Yeah I just did. I didn't realize it I had a pm at first. That tube trailer is exactly the one I proposed for several things in ATS. A modder shouldn't be showing up ATS for turbine parts but they are. It totally possible I see. SCS made the mechanics but they are not even using it themselves. I know they are full capable of producing the models themselves. ETS2 uses rear steerable for trailers. I mentioned this numerous times. I don't know why a tube trailer with those same rear steers can't be used. I've seen several youtube videos use 3 methods.
1) rear steerable axles
2) a person literally use a remote control to make tight turns by walking beside it
3) a man steered booster truck that was part of

For ATS purposes, option one is the only solution. Both these added to the Special Transport dlc would be a big boost for this industry in ATS. Worse case and even better imho, make a Special Transport 2 and feature the tower and the blade that seriousmods just posted. Add to that a steel I-bean and a concrete girder for bridges. With that construction blog we got recently, we can get a few cargoes for bridge construction.
Optional Features

#5603 Post by Optional Features » 02 Oct 2022 04:57

flight50 wrote: 02 Oct 2022 04:48 Yeah I just did. I didn't realize it I had a pm at first. That tube trailer is exactly the one I proposed for several things in ATS. A modder shouldn't be showing up ATS for turbine parts but they are. It totally possible I see. SCS made the mechanics but they are not even using it themselves. I know they are full capable of producing the models themselves. ETS2 uses rear steerable for trailers. I mentioned this numerous times. I don't know why a tube trailer with those same rear steers can't be used. I've seen several youtube videos use 3 methods.
1) rear steerable axles
2) a person literally use a remote control to make tight turns by walking beside it
3) a man steered booster truck that was part of

For ATS purposes, option one is the only solution. Both these added to the Special Transport dlc would be a big boost for this industry in ATS. Worse case and even better imho, make a Special Transport 2 and feature the tower and the blade that seriousmods just posted. Add to that a steel I-bean and a concrete girder for bridges. With that construction blog we got recently, we can get a few cargoes for bridge construction.
I believe this same guy has done a girder or at least a really long wooden beam. It has the steer car and all.

As for the options, I think a hybrid of one and three is ideal. Self steering axles are great, but being able to "drive" the trailer would be amazing. I know in Farm Sim, you can enter a trailer like a vehicle and perform various functions. I'm fairly certain a steerable axle could be set up like that (without making the trailer have an engine). Like a tiller ladder truck essentially.
JoeAlex23

#5604 Post by JoeAlex23 » 02 Oct 2022 05:13

@flight50 It has always been possible to put the blades and bigger turbine towers in game, SCS just doesn't see the priority of adding them, and i do agree with need bigger ones, but those that you know who posted are WAY too big for the game, sure, a better challenge is great for us veteran players but we have to think that SCS aims at everyone being able to complete the job, they should be based on the size of the wind turbines we already have all around the map so they keep a consistency, in some of the Vitas Power depots you can see a turbine tower, a blade and a nacelle that would work better than the ones that we have currently as cargo, is just a matter of making them of better quality and strapping them to a trailer.

[ external image ]
flight50

#5605 Post by flight50 » 02 Oct 2022 05:44

@JoeAlex23 Yes I agree. The blade from the mod is a bit too long for ATS purposes but its quite realistic. One thing I've always said is to take the longest trailer in the game which is the 9 axle low boy, add maybe 2-3 feet of overhang off the rear and that is the longest possible cargo ATS can handle. Everything else would have to be a mod. The pic you posted, the tower part and the blade would be ideal for length for sure that can work in ATS in general. But the girth of them are wrong still. The girth should be just as large as the cabin of the truck. The girth can be fixed or remodeled but the length in the pic you posted is cool. To add to that, the crane should be cargo. Break it down in 3 parts. Boom arm, tracks and the cab. The rotor laying one the ground.....that should be cargo and larger than it is. The generator should be larger. The generator we got in the game now has the rotor attached to the generator and neither look anything like the prefab you just posted. The rotor and the generator are also in the ST link in my signature. Both are wider than the trailer and overhangs a lil bit in real life. In ATS, they are narrower than the trailer and look completely fictional.

The standing tower, is not the same as what is laying down in 3 pieces. That has always bothered me. The 3 laying down is on the manufacturer prefab in Pueblo. They do not taper like the standing one no like the ones full assembled in the back ground so that model is wrong. If the 3 laying down was tapered, they wouldn't appear to be one diameter all the way down the tube. It may not happen but the wind turbine stuff can get an overhaul. It just takes someone that cares to fix it. The fully assembled turbine towers don't look anything like the tower part laying down.
Vinnie Terranova

#5607 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 02 Oct 2022 10:13

Regarding wind farm cargo I see a lot of big opportunities. I'm also much looking forward to the Texas-sized Transport. Maybe one of those transports goes to a wind farm...
flight50

#5608 Post by flight50 » 02 Oct 2022 13:19

It would be nice if SCS figured something out for the blades. I find it difficult to pull of such an industry and have no blade cargo. The blade is the most recognizable cargo that speaks for wind turbine. I'm even cool with a new industry cargo pack but the cargo needs to be more realistic which means that we need an overhaul.
oldmanclippy

#5609 Post by oldmanclippy » 02 Oct 2022 13:40

The blades are a very common sight on I-94 in North Dakota in my experience, and I imagine it's the same in states like Texas and Colorado not to mention the other Great Plains states. It's the ST cargo along with prefab houses that I've seen IRL the most.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Vinnie Terranova

#5610 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 02 Oct 2022 13:55

But for a proper sized blade as cargo we also need a trailer with rear steerable axles, just like we have in ETS2. But this means we first have to get this type of trailer in ATS. The v1.46 update would be a nice opportunity.

Return to “General discussion about the game”