Texas Discussion Thread

Optional Features

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3771 Post by Optional Features » 25 Jun 2022 07:31

I think part of the problem is the way we see the game vs how SCS sees the game. I don't think many of the SCS dev team members (and perhaps I am wrong about this) are truck nerds, industry nerds, highway design nerds, etc. I don't gather that vibe from the blogs, the screenshots they post, or the streams. They don't hate trucks, but they don't also spend time looking at used ones for sale or trying to notice minute differences in body or interior design over the years. Some of us do, and we enjoy it.

I can be on a roadtrip for hours, and still find time to stop and take pics of passing semis. To me that is fun. Maybe I am weird.

But the point I'm making is that details like what you're describing only stand out if you're focused on road design. If your goal is to make a scenery simulator with trucks as the method of transportation, things like this wouldn't stand out as much.
eonellivlem

#3772 Post by eonellivlem » 25 Jun 2022 09:52

@seriousmods I've been thinking this for sometime now. I'd even go as far to say the AI devs cant drive because the way the AI uses roundabouts, slip roads and merge lanes is shocking ;). At the end of the day it's a business and when you work on something for 8hrs a day(5hrs in SCS case), the last thing you want to do is spend more time playing the game.
It would be interesting to know how many devs have come and gone in the years because it must be repetitive to work on the same thing over and over.

I feel some members here are thinking Texas is going to be this holy grail of DLC. It will be a huge milestone but nothing more than a bigger state. I hope i'm wrong.
Optional Features

#3773 Post by Optional Features » 25 Jun 2022 09:56

eonellivlem wrote: 25 Jun 2022 09:52 @seriousmods I've been thinking this for sometime now. I'd even go as far to say the AI devs cant drive because the way the AI uses roundabouts, slip roads and merge lanes is shocking ;). At the end of the day it's a business and when you work on something for 8hrs a day(5hrs in SCS case), the last thing you want to do is spend more time playing the game.
It would be interesting to know how many devs have come and gone in the years because it must be repetitive to work on the same thing over and over.
Yeah, I've only briefly watched some of their streams, but they can't, at least not in a video game setting.

I can understand burnout as well, but I wish they had more passion for what they are creating.

They have recruited and retained a passionate fanbase: I wish some of the team shared a similar love for detail, open roads, good sound, and functionality.
danbywinby

#3774 Post by danbywinby » 25 Jun 2022 12:41

I have to be honest and say that I am starting to agree with @Vinnie Terranova. The more and more screenshots that we are being shown of the Texas DLC the more I am getting more dissapointed.

Texas DLC has been in the works for almost 4 years. Perhaps it is my fault for building up my hopes and following all of the speculation threads on here but either way Texas has always been seen as a big milestone for ATS. Yes the map and scenery and cities for Texas are looking amazing but the Industries, Depots and Cargoes and AI vehicles are becoming more and more disappointing because most of it is being copy pasted from elsewhere in the map.

I'm really struggling to see what exactly is going to come only from the Texas DLC apart from the map itself. The screenshots and blog posts of Montana are showing that any new cargos and industries seem to be coming with Montana or 1.45 instead of Texas.
Marcello Julio

#3775 Post by Marcello Julio » 25 Jun 2022 12:56

Well, it makes sense. Texas will be released possibly in the end of this year and still has a lot of work to do due to the complexity of the state, unlike Montana which is a smaller and faster state to develop and that we will possibly see until August.
danbywinby

#3776 Post by danbywinby » 25 Jun 2022 13:12

@Marcello Julio Very true. Things can still change.
Travismods

#3777 Post by Travismods » 25 Jun 2022 13:22

Refreshing to see more people waking up to the SCS mediocrity, keep it going. SCS needs to hear far, far more of the last few pages, and less of the mindless praise they get on blogs, should this game have any chance of surviving. Texas looks disappointing so far, same old copy pasted assets and same lack of engine upgrades and any new features. I remember people saying that Texas would bring all this cool new stuff with DX12 and all, but where is that? It looks like nothing really big is coming, just more of the same. Same draw distances, same LOD, same old prefabs, ai traffic, same flat roads with no potholes or even an ability to inspect the cargo.

Where is the new Texas content that was supposed to make this a truck simulator, even 7 years after release? It does not look like much is happening with the Texas DLC beyond the same tired old map just extended.Wasn't this DLC supposed to be the end all be all, according to people here? New features and technology and all? It just looks like the same old tired unimpressive eye candy with zero functionality. Huh, I can swear there was one user here that refused to believe that hype talk, might have been me :roll:

SCS, you are losing customers because there is too little new, and progress is too slow, and copy paste is too heavy. Neither me nor any of my friends are getting any more map DLCs because we can't justify paying for what is more or less the same old content multiple times with different location names attached to them. It's just not worth it, and it seems more and more people are in doubt. So act now SCS - bring new features and content and save the goodwill of your community while it still exists.

Remember: we players ask for more, we might get more. We players pat them on the back for status quo, they deliver the same old content. Simple as. You the community are in control. Now keep this momentum going and keep up the pressure and SCS just might listen. Continue mindlessly praise whatever lazy content SCS brings and we just go further down the hole.

Lastly, a special message to Pavel: it's time for you (long overdue actually) - to leave the potato user behind. Look towards future players and what they will expect out of the tech and the gameplay. It is time to stop letting users with ancient laptops barely holding together from the pre 2010 era to dictate the development, it makes absolutely no sense going forward.
Last edited by Travismods on 25 Jun 2022 13:58, edited 7 times in total.
SouthernMan

#3778 Post by SouthernMan » 25 Jun 2022 13:39

seriousmods wrote: 25 Jun 2022 07:31 I think part of the problem is the way we see the game vs how SCS sees the game. I don't think many of the SCS dev team members (and perhaps I am wrong about this) are truck nerds, industry nerds, highway design nerds, etc. I don't gather that vibe from the blogs, the screenshots they post, or the streams. They don't hate trucks, but they don't also spend time looking at used ones for sale or trying to notice minute differences in body or interior design over the years. Some of us do, and we enjoy it.

I can be on a roadtrip for hours, and still find time to stop and take pics of passing semis. To me that is fun. Maybe I am weird.

But the point I'm making is that details like what you're describing only stand out if you're focused on road design. If your goal is to make a scenery simulator with trucks as the method of transportation, things like this wouldn't stand out as much.
This is definitely one of the things I've been thinking about for a while... Maybe in the SCS team there are a lot of people who don't like trucks, heavy vehicles in general, they're there because it's an opportunity for experience for them, and that the work needs to be done... and there's nothing wrong with that. But if indeed that is so, the bad part is that we, people who are very fond of heavy vehicles and are more detail-oriented in some things, it doesn't look so good. But maybe I'm wrong.
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
SouthernMan

#3779 Post by SouthernMan » 25 Jun 2022 13:57

koolizz wrote: 25 Jun 2022 13:22 Refreshing to see more people waking up to the SCS mediocrity, keep it going. SCS needs to hear far, far more of the last few pages, and less of the mindless praise they get on blogs, should this game have any chance of surviving. Texas looks disappointing so far, same old copy pasted assets and same lack of engine upgrades and any new features. I remember people saying that Texas would bring all this cool new stuff with DX12 and all, but where is that? It looks like nothing really big is coming, just more of the same. Same draw distances, same LOD, same old prefabs, ai traffic, same flat roads with no potholes or even an ability to inspect the cargo.

Where is the new Texas content that was supposed to make this a truck simulator, even 7 years after release? It does not look like much is happening with the Texas DLC beyond the same tired old map just extended.Wasn't this DLC supposed to be the end all be all, according to people here? New features and technology and all? It just looks like the same old tired unimpressive eye candy with zero functionality. Huh, I can swear there was one user here that refused to believe that hype talk, might have been me :roll:

SCS, you are losing customers because there is too little new, and progress is too slow, and copy paste is too heavy. Neither me nor any of my friends are getting any more map DLCs because we can't justify paying for what is more or less the same old content multiple times with different location names attached to them. It's just not worth it, and it seems more and more people are in doubt. So act now SCS - bring new features and content and save the goodwill of your community while it still exists.

Remember: we players ask for more, we might get more. We players pat them on the back for status quo, they deliver the same old content. Simple as. You the community are in control. Now keep this momentum going and keep up the pressure and SCS just might listen. Continue mindlessly praise whatever lazy content SCS brings and we just go further down the hole.

Lastly, a special message to Pavel: it's is time for you (long overdue actually) - to leave the potato user behind. Look towards future players and what they will expect out of the tech and the gameplay. It is time to stop letting users with ancient laptops barely holding together from the pre 2010 era to dictate the development, it makes absolutely no sense going forward.
About SCS having to forget about 2010 Laptops, I totally agree with that! People who should be concerned about improving their PC so they can play games with better performance, not SCS.
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
SouthernMan

#3780 Post by SouthernMan » 25 Jun 2022 14:39

It would be interesting if the SCS made small bumps from Texas, as many say that Texas will be a "watershed". Recently I myself developed small bumps on some roads. It's not as noticeable in the photos, but I believe you guys can see that there are bumps on these roads. They're pretty light, but they do exist. I don't understand why SCS doesn't do that, but I believe they have policies not to do things like that... "The country must be perfect ingame". Maybe I'm wrong.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”