Texas Discussion Thread

Optional Features

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3451 Post by Optional Features » 28 May 2022 02:57

DoubleG01 wrote: 28 May 2022 02:12 I think the biggest issue currently is that, to my knowledge at least, the pickup/dropoff nodes for where to park trailers and the "job pickup" icon thing are all built into the 3d models / prefabs. So to make more companies currently you'd had to do a lot of messing around with models outside of the game and then placing them in the editor, test, resize etc. which can be very tedious and I would assume is why we don't see a lot of new ones pop up via mods, even. BUT, if SCS could find a way to make the job triggers and the parking triggers placeable / moveable directly in the map editor, it would be a massive gamechanger for mappers like myself. Of course, I'm sure their entire prefabs are more optimized etc. than it would be to place the triggers and all the scenery seperately, and that's probably why it hasn't been made to function that way. BUT it would be very useful for modders who'd just like to turn some existing scenery (or some custom made scenery) into a functioning company without a lot of work in a 3d modelling software. Just chuck some scenery down, place the job pickup and parking space triggers down, bam. Then some def work and voila! But I don't think we'll see that type of solution from SCS as I don't reckon it is a priority for them when they do all theirs in a 3d software.
I couldn't agree more! Placing a sleep trigger and a company trigger should be identical: then someone could release a company mod that turned most of the map into deliveries.
Viper28

#3452 Post by Viper28 » 28 May 2022 03:25

Sora wrote: 27 May 2022 02:24 Albuquerque is pretty clearly the anomaly here - for whatever reason, it has more companies than any other city in either game. The next biggest are Los Angeles, Phoenix, Redding, Madrid, and Saint Petersburg with 12 each. Three of those are recent, and everyone here wants to burn down the other two regardless.

Most cities in NM do not have such disproportionate company counts. And plenty of cities in recent DLC still have 9+, like Cheyenne and A Coruna.

And if you go REALLY far back, most cities on the ETS2 map had 5 or less. That's what it "used to be", not bloody 14. Cities got bigger on average after Arizona/Scandinavia, and largely stayed there, with Albuquerque as a weird outlier to an average of roughly 4-12.

ATS in particular has had almost no cities with 1-2 depots since then - just Omak and Longview. ETS2 actually still gets those.

I'm pretty sure ATS still has deliverable gas stations, too, though they're not marked on the map and pretty rare.
and that's what strikes me. There are several features on the map that are so piecemeal. Are they like experimenting with deliverable gas stations (are/were) why isn't there more consistency with this and similarly AI traffic at truck stops; some are busier others I've watched for decent periods of time and they're vacant all the time.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
SouthernMan

#3453 Post by SouthernMan » 28 May 2022 13:22

DoubleG01 wrote: 28 May 2022 02:12 I think the biggest issue currently is that, to my knowledge at least, the pickup/dropoff nodes for where to park trailers and the "job pickup" icon thing are all built into the 3d models / prefabs. So to make more companies currently you'd had to do a lot of messing around with models outside of the game and then placing them in the editor, test, resize etc. which can be very tedious and I would assume is why we don't see a lot of new ones pop up via mods, even. BUT, if SCS could find a way to make the job triggers and the parking triggers placeable / moveable directly in the map editor, it would be a massive gamechanger for mappers like myself. Of course, I'm sure their entire prefabs are more optimized etc. than it would be to place the triggers and all the scenery seperately, and that's probably why it hasn't been made to function that way. BUT it would be very useful for modders who'd just like to turn some existing scenery (or some custom made scenery) into a functioning company without a lot of work in a 3d modelling software. Just chuck some scenery down, place the job pickup and parking space triggers down, bam. Then some def work and voila! But I don't think we'll see that type of solution from SCS as I don't reckon it is a priority for them when they do all theirs in a 3d software.
Well, I agree with you friend. There is still this problem of not being able to move the triggers from one side to the other in the editor. But... it's still possible to do it, you set up your company scenario in the editor, export it and, after that, import it in blender and there you edit the places to load your load correctly. But of course SCS won't do that for now... I think they'll only do that when they put it to move triggers (delivery and loading locations) from one side to the other, just like you said yourself.
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
Optional Features

#3454 Post by Optional Features » 28 May 2022 19:36

In a dreamworld where the game supported buyable land and placeables, we could place a company in game that would remain there as long as we maintained the save. Buy a decorative warehouse, remove the gates, place animated ones (or just leave it open), and place a company trigger.
Jacob94

#3455 Post by Jacob94 » 31 May 2022 07:19

i hope texas releases in october since that is a good long time kinda
Trakaplex

#3456 Post by Trakaplex » 31 May 2022 17:13

Jacob94 wrote: 31 May 2022 07:19 i hope texas releases in october since that is a good long time kinda
More likely Christmas. It's not close with the content even going to come.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
The Torgo

#3457 Post by The Torgo » 02 Jun 2022 03:34

texas summer 2023, Montana is coming first
flight50

#3458 Post by flight50 » 02 Jun 2022 05:32

Texas blogs are a bit to many to be a Summer 2023 dlc. Worse case Spring of 2023 and that's if they are trying to get the engine updated to bring busier environments per the 2020 xmas stream and can't get Texas out Nov/Dec of 2022 (this year). Pavel did mention not to long ago that Texas is a 2022 map. Now anything can happen but he sounded pretty optimistic about Texas for this year. Summer of 2023 makes more sense to be Oklahoma if Montana and Texas come off the board for this year.
JoeAlex23

#3459 Post by JoeAlex23 » 02 Jun 2022 05:35

As far as we know, they are working on Texas and Montana with a 2022 release in mind, seems like Montana is coming first in a few months and Texas at the end of the year, of course, that can change at anytime but until SCS says something, 2022 it is for both states.
Optional Features

#3460 Post by Optional Features » 02 Jun 2022 06:27

I hope we get Texas before year end lol. I'd love to see more detail, but consider much of what I want in the map will end up as decoration, the time spent detailing those areas is kinda futile.

That said, SCS is putting itself in a bad spot relying only on map dlcs as a main funding source. These dlcs are incredibly spread out, and will become increasingly similar as we move through the Plains.

Unless something ridiculous happens soon, I can't imagine the same kind of excitement over Iowa and Kansas and Nebraska as Montana and Texas. A largely decorative, restricted map with copy-paste prefabs and repetitive companies is going to get old.

They need to look for ways to spruce things up and soon. Texas should be a turning point for the game, not just another state. The size of the state, the time it's taking to make it, and the complexity of its road network should be enough to keep a player busy through the life of their time playing, without other states supporting.

The fact Texas will be just another state followed by Oklahoma or Louisiana hype shows a missed opportunity to make something that really lasts in the mind of the player.

Many a game could survive off a map this big: for SCS, this is just a blip along the journey.

Return to “General discussion about the game”