Texas Discussion Thread

Trenero

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#4751 Post by Trenero » 17 Aug 2022 22:43

Now that your talking about companies.

I'm the only one that thinks that Wallbert and Sellplan have almost the same colours and one of those need to change to add more variety to the game?

And other thing, in my opinion some of the companies have their trailers with too complex paintjobs on it.
I think in real life the bigger companies with thousands of trailers already have brand recognition and choose to go a bit more cheap with the trailer paintjobs like base colour(usually white) and vinill logos and done(See for example Target, Wallmart or Amazon, they usually do base color and logos and done), not the complete trailer full of graffics(with photos,textures, degraded colours or sadows on the lettering) that cost more money to apply, that way i think that way is more suitable for smaller companies that have less trailers and want to win their brand recognition and is a way to have publicity on the road.
Also i think the AI traffic need more plain white vans and reefers simulating owner operators and smaller companies.
flight50

#4752 Post by flight50 » 17 Aug 2022 23:50

I know people don't like plain white trailers but I agree that there should be more in traffic. Not necessarily owner operator though. Some have to be leased so keeping it plain jane is how to be generic.

ATS needs a lot more trailer variety though and this only comes with more new companies. I'm still waiting for Tidbit and Farmer's Barn to get trailers. Same for containers on trailers. I think a solid 12 or so SCS parodies would be great. The more color ATS has in the environment, the more alive it feels. All the 2d and 3d work put into the game works a solid unit to appeal to the eye.

The truck stops should be loaded with trailer variety. The new Cargo Forwarding depot coming for Texas should be full of trailer variety. In due time. The best part is we have confirmation that new companies are coming. Keeping this trend up for the game in general beyond Texas would be ideal. I sure hope that's the plan.
55sixxx

#4753 Post by 55sixxx » 18 Aug 2022 00:02

Trailer variety is kinda controversial here, because the majority of trailers you see in the US are 53'ft dry vans and reefers. Flatbeds are the second most common sight I'd say so to be realistic you can't have that much variety... But yeah, the trailer designs needs to be a bit simpler.

A few styles/inspirations that could come with Texas companies:

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Bedavd

#4754 Post by Bedavd » 18 Aug 2022 01:04

It would be cool if SCS gave the trucks a design for each company as well and had the company trucks spawn with the company trailers. That would add a ton of work for each new truck and each new company though, but Wallbert trucks with Wallbert trailers would be pretty sweet.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
flight50

#4755 Post by flight50 » 18 Aug 2022 01:06

55sixxx wrote: 18 Aug 2022 00:02 Trailer variety is kinda controversial here, because the majority of trailers you see in the US are 53'ft dry vans and reefers. Flatbeds are the second most common sight I'd say so to be realistic you can't have that much variety...
You have any idea how many companies are in the entirely of North America. To even get close to realistic, ATS would be shy by hundreds. That that is speaking of just dry vans and reefers. You are skipping tankers, chippers, dumpers, moving/storage trailers and container trailers. If ETS2 is well over 150 companies, ATS can easily match that.

Just 3rd party logistics companies alone in the US is 14k. https://www.ibisworld.com/industry-stat ... ed-states/

Here is the top 50 of those 3rd parties. https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/article/t ... change_acr

No way ATS needs all that. I can agree on that. But ATS needs a lot more than it has. ETS2 has like 29 Logistics companies alone.
oldmanclippy

#4756 Post by oldmanclippy » 18 Aug 2022 01:27

Yeah I would agree that all these over the top company trailers aren't very realistic. My personal preference would be for everything to be more plain (I've toyed with the idea of making a mod that keeps all the vanilla companies, but just redesigns the trailers to be more subdued, maybe someone has already done that), but this is one area where I feel like SCS can have more creative liberty to make the trailers more visually appealing.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Marcello Julio

#4757 Post by Marcello Julio » 18 Aug 2022 02:19

Bedavd wrote: 18 Aug 2022 01:04 It would be cool if SCS gave the trucks a design for each company as well and had the company trucks spawn with the company trailers. That would add a ton of work for each new truck and each new company though, but Wallbert trucks with Wallbert trailers would be pretty sweet.
I remember that this is a very request from years in the community. Including paint jobs from game companies for the player use.
supersobes
Global moderator

#4758 Post by supersobes » 18 Aug 2022 03:58

On the topic of trailer variety and livery designs, I definitely agree that ATS needs more plain white trailers and fewer artistic trailers. A lot of the trailer liveries in ATS are somewhat unrealistic in that they don't reflect the kind of things you would see on trucks in the real world. A lot of dry van and reefer trailers are just a plain colour, more often than not white, with a simple logo and some text on them. I like this view over this truck stop because the sea of white boxes helps put it into perspective the kinds of trailers that are typical to see on the roads. This is the kind of stuff that I think would help make the ATS world more realistic.

[ external image ]
flight50

#4759 Post by flight50 » 18 Aug 2022 04:24

I once said to do more plain trailers somewhere around here and people declined to like the idea. I was mentioning that in the US, trailers are not as colorful as Europe. You get basic logos for the vast majority of companies. You don't see a lot of flashy trailers in the US. There are some though.

In regards to matching skins for the Ai, that would be sweet actually. Its like the JazzyCat's painted truck mod. It adds a lot of flavor to traffic but thing is, its a mod.
SCS_Annie
SCS Software

#4760 Post by SCS_Annie » 18 Aug 2022 08:48

Marcello Julio wrote: 17 Aug 2022 20:54 Damn Annie, now you got me hungry :lol:
Jokes aside, I really like this realism touch! :)
It would be interesting for you to put all your works at maximum resolution on one of these sites where the artists post their work. It's good to appreciate your work, which is something of the highest quality!
I plan to at some point, it might also be useful to those who create high resolution mods :). I'm bad at updating my social media sites since I'm not really a social media kind of person LOL. I keep forgetting. I might just create an ArtStation and dump everything there once we release Texas, because there's a LOT of concept art to show. And when I say a LOT, I really mean it, the DLC is huge, go figure ;)

ICYMI: a while back we did a Concept Art episode of our under the hood blog series
https://blog.scssoft.com/2022/04/under- ... t-art.html
2D artist (Concept art & branding) for American Truck Simulator.
Working at SCS Software since 2020.

Instagram

Return to “General discussion about the game”