Texas Discussion Thread

Vinnie Terranova

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3201 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 18 May 2022 07:59

I don't think SCS will make cities 1:1. I believe that some cities are more like 1:3. But more important: SCS doesn't create scaled down versions of whole cities; they just pick some parts of a particular city and only then they are recreating a 1:3 version of those parts.
Optional Features

#3202 Post by Optional Features » 18 May 2022 08:26

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 18 May 2022 07:59 I don't think SCS will make cities 1:1. I believe that some cities are more like 1:3. But more important: SCS doesn't create scaled down versions of whole cities; they just pick some parts of a particular city and only then they are recreating a 1:3 version of those parts.
I believe they said Sacramento was almost 1:1 (yep, it's in the blog, specifically talking about downtown). Obviously most cities aren't, but I don't think any are 1:20 which means we lose rural areas in favor of bigger city.

This is evident in a number of places around the map. I-80 in Wyoming. Large parts of I-5. I-84 in Oregon, etc etc.

You leave one city and are immediately in another, even if those cities irl are a great distance apart. One hour irl, one mile in game.
Midiangel

#3203 Post by Midiangel » 18 May 2022 08:57

About Wyoming, the SCS wrote that the most sparsely populated state. But on the release it turned out that there are many cities that replace each other. Probably it was worth changing the scale of the game map to 1:19.

#3204 Post by fra_ba » 18 May 2022 09:19

Most of interchanges specially the complex ones are 1:1 which takes so much space in game world.
Vinnie Terranova

#3205 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 18 May 2022 09:26

Compare downtown Sacramento IRL and in ATS:

IRL:
[ external image ]

ATS:
[ external image ]

You can clearly notice that some skyscrapers are positioned quite close to a 1:1 scale. But this is a very small part of the whole downtown of Sacramento...

But even more important: you cannot drive in downtown... So what SCS did was just creating a distant view of downtown Sacramento; just a few recognizable skyscrapers placed close together.
SCS in the Scramento blog wrote:Finally, the reworked downtown is going to receive a great improvement as well, and it will be really close to a 1:1 scale. Your experience of entering the city from this side will also further be enhanced by several new in-game assets, which were specifically designed for this area.
The way I understand this: I can enter downtown Sacramento by driving in downtown (just like Boise downtown). What SCS meant: You can drive alongside downtown to the distribution district southeast of downtown.

And this is becoming really a problem. SCS is saying things that can easily be interpreted different to what they actually mean; especially for people that don't have English as their native language. I'm really concerned about this, that SCS is creating false expectations this way more and more.
flight50

#3206 Post by flight50 » 18 May 2022 11:00

Driving thru downtown in the US means driving the interstates that crave thru it. It's a given that the larger cities in ATS, we can not drive thru on surface streets, but we technically are driving thru it if downtown is on both sides of an interstate. Alongside is if downtown is only on one side of an interstate. Downtown can spread more that just the skyscrapers. That's the main part but it really depends on the city too.
Travismods

#3207 Post by Travismods » 18 May 2022 15:06

"SCS is saying things that can easily be interpreted different to what they actually mean"

They have been doing this for a long time. There have been more misunderstandings than there should have been. They are doing this to create hype in the community and make small things seem bigger. The ”adjustable suspension” promotional blog is perhaps the most recent example of SCS misleading. It’s a sneaky form of marketing.
Optional Features

#3208 Post by Optional Features » 18 May 2022 16:29

@Vinnie Terranova Yes, I continue to be flabbergasted by how much time the SCS team puts into unusable places. I'm not sure the full reasoning, but I suspect it's just a lack of understanding of America combined with strict leadership.

There is no reason why we cannot drive through downtown in a semi, and yet time and again, SCS builds beautiful downtowns that are nothing more than decoration. How do they think all the buildings got there lol?
oldmanclippy

#3209 Post by oldmanclippy » 18 May 2022 18:26

Unless SCS says "you can drive on the streets in downtown", I assume that any reference to "driving through downtown" just means on freeways with skyscrapers on either side. And that's an accurate way of describing it in English, when I say "I need to drive through downtown Minneapolis to get to St. Paul from the west suburbs", I don't mean I have to get off on an exit and take surface streets, I mean I have to take I-94 through the heavily urbanized center of the city. In-game, we can drive through downtown Seattle on I-5, and we can drive on surface streets in downtown Boise.

If I had to make a trade-off between "bigger" downtown areas as seen from the freeway and "smaller" downtown areas that we can drive through, I'll pick the former all day long. If Denver's downtown surface streets were driveable, immersion would be shattered because downtown Denver is much larger IRL and it's far easier to suspend the player's disbelief by portraying it from I-25 and I-70. Boise works because it doesn't have a massive downtown area IRL to begin with, so I don't feel like I'm driving through a miniature version of the city as I would if downtown Denver's surface streets were driveable.

I think the exception to this can be New York City if the technology changes to compensate, because the Hugh L Carey Tunnel on I-478 can drop us off in southern Manhattan, that way there could be two versions of NYC, the smaller one as seen from I-95 and other roads not in downtown, and the bigger one as seen as seen from surface streets. But this is not possible with the current mapping technology.

Obviously if the technology arose that would allow 1:1 or 1:2 downtown areas to be fully replicated and SCS had the manpower to pull it off that'd be great, but it's just not feasible at the moment.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Vinnie Terranova

#3210 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 18 May 2022 18:36

SCS was talking about "entering the city", not about "driving through downtown"...

Return to “General discussion about the game”