Texas Discussion Thread

Carfreak200

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#4611 Post by Carfreak200 » 11 Aug 2022 23:02

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 11 Aug 2022 22:48 Bushnell, Gobal Mills, Darchelle Vzau, Mon Coeur, Farmer's Barn, Sunshine Crops... Hello @SCSsoftware what's going on? How long have you been working on the Texas DLC? 2 Years, 3 years? Then why are you still using all those old companies? Where is your 2D team? Do you still have a 2D team?

I really don't know what to think about this anymore... At first glance I was excited to see those awesome grain elevator structures. But then I noticed all those old companies. And those old companies give me a very, very mixed feeling about this blog post.
Mon Coeur is brand new as of 1.44. So I have no issue with that one. The others are desperately in need of change tho
Best Free ATS Mods viewtopic.php?t=317006

Life's too Short to Drive Boring Trucks

Current Garage:
  • Rezbilt 389 (Allen Rezbilt)
  • Freightliner Classic XL (BSA)
  • Peterbilt 379X (Chief86)
Marcello Julio

#4612 Post by Marcello Julio » 11 Aug 2022 23:07

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 11 Aug 2022 22:48 Bushnell, Gobal Mills, Darchelle Vzau, Mon Coeur, Farmer's Barn, Sunshine Crops... Hello @SCSsoftware what's going on? How long have you been working on the Texas DLC? 2 Years, 3 years? Then why are you still using all those old companies? Where is your 2D team? Do you still have a 2D team?

I really don't know what to think about this anymore... At first glance I was excited to see those awesome grain elevator structures. But then I noticed all those old companies. And those old companies give me a very, very mixed feeling about this blog post.
Mon Coeur is a new company that appeared in the second part of the California Rework and has only been there so far. In this case, is not a really problem for her appear in Texas.

And as I said a few pages ago, just like in ETS2, it should take a while for new companies to appear on blogs and until then, they put companies that already exist in the game as placeholders. In the case of Montana, it took a while for us to see new companies on the blog.
JoeAlex23

#4613 Post by JoeAlex23 » 11 Aug 2022 23:19

As others have said, Mon Coeur is new and Darchelle Uzau has only 5 locations on the whole map so far, those 2 in Texas are not a problem but a 3rd wine/vineyard company would be very welcomed at some point in the future.
Sora

#4614 Post by Sora » 12 Aug 2022 01:14

If anything, I almost wish they didn't use Mon Coeur and left it as a unique "California" wine brand, since, you know, wine country. But it and Uzau are hardly anyone's problems right now. Farmer's Barn is relatively new too, so I don't mind it extending into a few more states.
oldmanclippy wrote: 11 Aug 2022 22:53 So far Helena and Fresno are the only ones with 3. If Texas adds another city with 3 we'll know that they really couldn't give less of a care about this problem. At least 1 of Helena's better be a placeholder for a competitor coming with Texas' compatibility patch. Otherwise that's just a major insult to our intelligence.
Is it, now.

While it's true that there are three Wallbert depots in Helena, they're all different things. One's a food distribution center, one's a non-food distribution center, and one's an actual store. They (at least in theory should) play different roles in the economy. It makes logical sense that a company would have a store in the same city as its distribution center. Splitting Wallbert wouldn't necessarily make this any more sensible, either - either it'd lead to weird scenarios where you deliver stuff from Target warehouses to Walmart stores, or it just cuts down on the variety of destinations these centers can output to. This is probably the biggest reason why ATS and ETS2 differ in terms of companies - ATS companies are a lot more involved (though it's admittedly still pretty watered down.)

I agree that one of the Helena depots should have been a USBB or Kolico depot simply because it aligns better with reality, and Fresno will probably be razed within two years so I frankly don't care about what it's like now. But I don't feel like having two of one company is necessarily an "insult to the playerbase's intelligence"... or, at the very least, it isn't an insult that repainting these companies with different names would fix.
AlexxxF1

#4615 Post by AlexxxF1 » 12 Aug 2022 02:51

I'm just wondering, how many new companies do you expect from Texas DLC?

Just. If on average we expect even 10 new companies from each state, then 48x10 = 480 different companies. Or do we want even more?
I'm just wondering how then they can interact with each other, how such an economy will work.
for example how 10 another new companies in Florida can interact with old companies in Сalifornia ?

Yes, in new states, rebranding, renaming some old companies, like Gobal Mills for example, might work or help. Maybe as a branch.
for example Gobal Mills mini or Gobal Mills & 8utter
Last edited by AlexxxF1 on 12 Aug 2022 05:01, edited 2 times in total.
SouthernMan

#4616 Post by SouthernMan » 12 Aug 2022 03:57

This isn't as difficult as it sounds. We have to think that SCS is a company, not just a team of 3 modders, that is, she can do it easily. Some people think "it's not so easy to add a company". Yes, its EASY!!!
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
fra_ba

#4617 Post by fra_ba » 12 Aug 2022 05:24

Marcello Julio wrote: 11 Aug 2022 16:17 Yes, the glass companies! I hope it's a new one too. We have a company that was cut out of ATS called Glasson that was apparently going to mess with glass. I hope it comes back with Texas. It's the perfect opportunity.
I'm sure SCS counts port of Houston and DFW airport as new companies too, but they are obvious. Hopefully oilfield services and offshore services will be new companies.
flight50

#4618 Post by flight50 » 12 Aug 2022 05:30

Sora wrote: 12 Aug 2022 01:14 While it's true that there are three Wallbert depots in Helena, they're all different things. One's a food distribution center, one's a non-food distribution center, and one's an actual store. They (at least in theory should) play different roles in the economy. It makes logical sense that a company would have a store in the same city as its distribution center.
If the game was 1:10,3 Wallberts is a tad more feasible but even still, 3 Wallberts is still too many for 1 city. 1:1 is the only place that one can get away with 3 Wallberts. When there are other options and SCS choose 3 of the same and only 1 is actually a real location, it makes a mockery of the US the way its setup. Just because they can place 3 of the same in one city doesn't mean they should. They do the same with Coastline Mining and NAMIQ. What's wrong with them rebranding at least or what's wrong with them placing one of the instances in the next city. I'd rather see a Wallbert in each city than 3 in the same. Allow other companies to occupy space.

The better way to do non retail Wallberts in ATS is like I mentioned a few days/weeks ago in some other post around here somewhere. Pic below shows multiple parts of a facility. If SCS makes true complex depots, no reason why a distribution center can't be zoned out to be multiple things. Make a 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 prefab. We don't need 2-3 of the same company when a single complex prefab combines this effort. Do this and now that frees up space to do something else. Use space more wisely.

[ external image ]

Those 3 Wallberts in Helena might as well be in the same parking lot. For some its unacceptable. For others you all don't care. But I find it odd that some don't care. Not one place in the US has 3 Walmarts that are around the corner from another. Not even Walmart Supercenter and Neighborhood Walmart are that close. Even they are at least a few miles apart.

[ external image ]

@fra_ba The Houston Port is more than likely a Rail Export and DFW airport could be another Ultimus. You'd think they'd be one off but unless they are coastline ports, nahhhh. I don't see one offs.
flight50

#4620 Post by flight50 » 12 Aug 2022 06:09

Good point. The Port of Houston doesn't really have a railyard. It's all containers. I'm greedy so I'd take a large one but obviously SCS has to insert what fits.

I really wished we get a new rail company though. Rail Export is at about 25 depot mark in the game. Even better, I wish the UP parody and the BNSF parody matched the depot instead of being called Rail Export.

Return to “General discussion about the game”