Texas Discussion Thread

oldmanclippy

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3211 Post by oldmanclippy » 18 May 2022 18:53

@Vinnie Terranova You enter the city whenever you cross a city border. I don't think it was misleading at all.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Vinnie Terranova

#3212 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 18 May 2022 19:09

When you enter a building, are you walking outside that building or are you opening a door and step into that building?
Travismods

#3213 Post by Travismods » 18 May 2022 19:30

I sort of get oldmanclippys argument, the issue is just that we've seen far, far too many misleading statements from SCS on blogs that have created confusion here which has lead to disappointment for many on a number of features or things coming to the game, so in that sense you can't really completely brush all SCS vague statements aside like they aren't an issue. SCS could be probably be abit clearer, and the question is why aren't they. Is it a conscious tactic? I think it's kind of clear its part of their marketing to exaggerate things to sounding better or more impressive than what they are actually are, to create hype. That's kind of what marketing is after all and what the blogs are about.
Sora

#3214 Post by Sora » 18 May 2022 19:38

angrybirdseller wrote: 17 May 2022 21:33 I am know when Texas releases the same cynics will find some tiny thing to complain about. These same people should find another game to play. Toxicity is disgusting here how you think developers those feel.
If map gets delayed because couple mappers quit as they figure no point trying to do something best to your abilities get bashed for it.

Resreach section give information there about which trees and vegetation belong in which region of the same.
People will always want more and better, and sure, there's a point where that becomes an unfair expectation. We can't have every road, at 1:1, with every landmark.

But "expecting Texas to look like Texas" isn't an unreasonable request. Most of the things people have discussed are important enough that they should be safe assumptions in the first place, or at the very least, easy to implement if the assets are there.

There ARE aspects of Texas that may prove extremely challenging on a technical level, like frontage roads and closely knit big cities. Trees aren't one of them. And whether this is a research failure, cut corners on asset creation, or truly placeholders, it's a bizarre thing to put on a blog.
oldmanclippy

#3215 Post by oldmanclippy » 18 May 2022 19:47

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 18 May 2022 19:09 When you enter a building, are you walking outside that building or are you opening a door and step into that building?
A building is an enclosed space, a city is not. If I cross a border into a city, I have entered that city. A city is not just a downtown area. Most US cities only have a fraction of their land area comprised of the heavily urbanized downtown part. Take Minneapolis, one of the two big cities near me, as an example. The blue area is downtown, and the red outline is the city border:

[ external image ]

@koolizz I think part of it is that most of the people deciding the marketing strategy don't speak English as a first language, and the ones who do like Alex can only go off of the information they are given by the team. I know that when I was trying to learn French, the hardest part was differentiating the different prepositions. You use a different word for "in" in the phrases "in a city" vs "in a country". I imagine that English, which is a language made by picking and choosing words, phrasings, and conventions from multiple language families, is similarly if not more difficult to get a grasp on when it comes to nuances like "entering a city" vs "driving through downtown" vs "driving in downtown". It's not 100% cut and dry what all those mean. Most of the miscommunications can be chocked up to that I think. I can't think of a time where SCS actually mislead people besides RttBS, whereas the developers of Halo and Total War do it on a weekly basis so I know what I'm looking for.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
JohnMc19

#3216 Post by JohnMc19 » 18 May 2022 20:12

I don't believe the wording to be misleading I don't expect to drive my truck in the downtown areas of these cities in the smaller towns yes where the scale affected. The last blog did give a feel of PNW it felt like I've driven there before, happy to see they responed. My only gripe is seeing the same companies we should hopefully get more with Texas and Montana too
Travismods

#3217 Post by Travismods » 18 May 2022 20:29

We shouldn't have even seen Deepgrove and Wallbert rehashed from the older states on a new and nice Texas blog. That's a misstep if you ask me. They should bring their A game to Texas blogs, not their copy paste game.
flight50

#3218 Post by flight50 » 18 May 2022 21:33

I am starting to get worried. If Texas starts a new region.....the South and when Kansas comes it starts the Midwest, we will continue to have get copy pasted companies. That is 3 regions in ATS. Every new region that hits ETS2 gets 20+ new companies. What is the deal with ATS not following? The excuse keeps being new regions and new cultures. That's not valid. That makes zero sense.

I hate not being positive when it comes to ATS but the lack of regional companies for ATS to match the energy ETS2 brings really brings moral down for ATS. No one wants to continue copy paste company names. We get new prefabs for companies and that is good as it brings building type diversity but the same company name. Why can't SCS just provide new company names with these new prefabs. Why hire the 2d artists if they are not going to be used?

ATS should get a nice overhaul of companies. Get rid of all these repetitive companies. We should not have more that one of the same company in one city. Follow what ETS2 does. Make a new company. No city in ETS2 is uses the same company twice. Why in ATS? That takes up space for something new or different industry we can have. It's been noted that all the Walmarts in the game, may not even be there in real life. So why not bring the true building or not do it at all.
Optional Features

#3219 Post by Optional Features » 18 May 2022 21:54

flight50 wrote: 18 May 2022 21:33 I am starting to get worried. If Texas starts a new region.....the South and when Kansas comes it starts the Midwest, we will continue to have get copy pasted companies. That is 3 regions in ATS. Every new region that hits ETS2 gets 20+ new companies. What is the deal with ATS not following? The excuse keeps being new regions and new cultures. That's not valid. That makes zero sense.

I hate not being positive when it comes to ATS but the lack of regional companies for ATS to match the energy ETS2 brings really brings moral down for ATS. No one wants to continue copy paste company names. We get new prefabs for companies and that is good as it brings building type diversity but the same company name. Why can't SCS just provide new company names with these new prefabs. Why hire the 2d artists if they are not going to be used?

ATS should get a nice overhaul of companies. Get rid of all these repetitive companies. We should not have more that one of the same company in one city. Follow what ETS2 does. Make a new company. No city in ETS2 is uses the same company twice. Why in ATS? That takes up space for something new or different industry we can have. It's been noted that all the Walmarts in the game, may not even be there in real life. So why not bring the true building or not do it at all.
Flight, I think what we're all realizing is what we want isn't what SCS wants. We want cargo. SCS does not.

We want more companies, more drops, more variety. SCS does not.

We want weather and physics and traffic. SCS kinda does, but it isn't an immediate priority.

SCS's priority is finishing the US. If they have the same companies from coast to coast, even the same tired prefabs, they will consider themselves a success.
angrybirdseller

#3220 Post by angrybirdseller » 18 May 2022 22:06

It depends on the industry think walbert retail stores should by in every state the same with home store prefab, but the walbert warehouses should be limited to major cities. The mining companies can have more of them as some only specailize extracting certian minerals. Still, the map is work in progress even after DLC map is built they will revisit some companies to replace them with time. Texas should have new oil companies, new automative manufactuer, new farming companies, timber companies. I am sure new companies will come with time, and some companies will be replaced in some older DLC maps.

UDS and Post ED should be ulitized as new companies, and knock off Amazon along with companies that deliver patio to bathroom goods from manfacutering plant to retailers.

Return to “General discussion about the game”