Texas Discussion Thread

LATrucker

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3321 Post by LATrucker » 20 May 2022 21:18

Since SCS did some changes to optimize the Force Feedback, we'll hopefully get more realistic roads in the future too
SuchManor

#3322 Post by SuchManor » 20 May 2022 21:21

I would like to see more variation in road and road textures. As of now they are pretty plain and many times not even correct. Some whole cities and interstates have concrete highways yet in game they are anything but. Sometimes it’s done right but many times not. I would like to see SCS put more attention towards the roads themselves to feel more authentic since that is what we are driving on the whole time.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
flight50

#3323 Post by flight50 » 20 May 2022 23:00

SuchManor wrote: 20 May 2022 20:02
flight50 wrote: 20 May 2022 19:12 The very first picture I showed is I-30. I stated tgat in the description. Its concurrent with I-30 so you have to ignire the Google tag. Both shoulders are not the same. So the argument of wide shoulders are mute.
Maybe I’m missing what you are trying to point out with the photos. Usually wide left shoulders are only through densely populated or dangerous areas. That should be the case where applicable in ATS. Both shoulders wide in those areas (if so IRL) and narrow left but still wide right shoulders elsewhere, as required. More lanes usually don’t, and shouldn't equal narrow shoulders.
The pics I post are all part of the debated pic below. If SCS can not widen the entire road way (4 to 6 lanes), I provided a solution but its not liked by a few of you. That's fine. But my suggestion was to reduce the shoulder and add the additional lanes if its critical for some to have 3 lanes or to match real life of 3 lanes. Those shoulders do nothing for us in the game. Real life regulations is one thing but in a game......the vast majority of players do not care how wide a road needs to be. SCS isn't getting fined for building incorrect roads. Its the regulations that some want SCS to follow. Same with some people don't think certain roads should even be n the game....again, real life regulations are expected for this game. That removes the fun factor for many. This game isn't a true sim nor a professional simulator. I get the laws, the real or what not. That is real life which is 1:1. In a video game with a limited scale, you make due. You squeeze out what you can. So if SCS can't widen and keep the shoulders the same width on one or both sides to add that 3rd lane, it stays 4 lanes as the pic indicates. I am sure a ton of work has to be redone just to get 2 more lanes and its not worth it. So my thought was change the road type only. There is no point in pulling over in the game unless you were trying to break for a moment and do something in your settings or a task at home. Shoulders are like water.....its there for authenticity.

[ external image ]

supersobes wrote: 20 May 2022 20:27 The player won't get the experience of driving on an Interstate highway.
Sorry, but this makes zero sense to me. Are the roads in the game currently not interstates already? Are they gravel or dirt roads? Shoulders don't give you experience of driving on a road. The road itself itself with or without shoulders gives that experience with the surroundings. One can identify the locations in the blogs based on what's provided whether shoulders are there or not so you'd still get the experience.
supersobes
Global moderator

#3324 Post by supersobes » 20 May 2022 23:22

Interstate highways look and feel different than other types of highways. For example, take these three unnamed roads. One is an Interstate, and the other two are not. It's quite evident which is which just based on how the road is constructed. What I'm saying is that Interstates have a specific set of standards that differentiate them from other highways. If SCS stated changing things like the width, then they'll just look like generic highways, and it won't look right.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
justgettingold

#3325 Post by justgettingold » 20 May 2022 23:32

parasaurolophus67 wrote: 20 May 2022 20:53Anyway they might not have learned how to do that yet as of now.
They've already done dirt roads and rumble strips. I don't really see the difference.
parasaurolophus67

#3326 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 20 May 2022 23:36

@justgettingold He was talking about like bumps on the road like this https://imengine.prod.srp.navigacloud.c ... width=1024 You would feel the truck cab moving as you go over it. The roads don't have that. That is what he is saying.
flight50

#3327 Post by flight50 » 20 May 2022 23:42

@supersobes I get what you are saying. That second pic has a reduced yellow lane. Both side aren't equal. I'm sure that's the interstate. If they massaged that side, looks like a 3rd lane fits imo. The last pic is a hybrid kinda. The right has the same distance from the solid line to the edge of the pavement but it has dirt/grass for the shoulder. I agree that it won't feel right if they did something like the first pic but the experience is still there, its just not visually correct. Again, its just a suggestion to get in that 3rd lane. Personally, I'd leave it alone like I was saying earlier. I'm not the original person complaining about the lanes. I''ve only tried giving a way to solve it.
SuchManor

#3328 Post by SuchManor » 20 May 2022 23:56

Quote removed - Don't quote images/code boxes - Rule 2.3

The player won't get the experience of driving on an Interstate highway.
[/quote]
Sorry, but this makes zero sense to me. Are the roads in the game currently not interstates already? Are they gravel or dirt roads? Shoulders don't give you experience of driving on a road. The road itself itself with or without shoulders gives that experience with the surroundings. One can identify the locations in the blogs based on what's provided whether shoulders are there or not so you'd still get the experience.
[/quote]
I disagree that the shoulders do nothing. They add authenticity like you said and a place to pull over if needed. Not paying attention and the dumb AI suddenly brake because one of them is trying to merge onto the interstate? Pull onto the shoulder. AI somehow crashed ahead and they are blocking traffic? Use the shoulder to get around them. Etc, etc, etc. (really this is coming down to just how terribly awful the AI are 5 years after release). We all mostly agree that we want the ATS world to feel big, so why do some people want it to feel small? Adding 2 extra lanes will not affect the scale whatsoever. If they have to remove a line of trees and grass at the edge of the city that no players will ever see to make room then so be it. Maybe a ton of work does have to go into getting those extra lanes but they should’ve learned that lesson long ago when people were first giving feedback about it. And if not then learn that lesson now and implement the extra lanes where applicable.

Also, like sobes said, shoulders ABSOLUTELY give you the experience of driving on an interstate. Recently visiting Texas from the Northeast it was mind blowing how wide the 2 lane back country roads are compared to the NE. Same can be said for the interstates compared to other roads.

Adding a TON of lanes is not what we are asking. Just add the 2 more to make it really feel like an interstate in a large Texas city. Adding the lanes really has no negatives at all (other than making the interstate feel even more empty which others have mentioned) and I think since the majority of developers are from Europe they don’t really understand that wide freeways add to the authenticity of the US. Now, especially with Texas, is the time to change that. Everything is bigger in Texas.
Check out my screenshots
Madkine
Global moderator

#3329 Post by Madkine » 21 May 2022 00:53

SuchManor wrote: 20 May 2022 23:56 Just add the 2 more to make it really feel like an interstate in a large Texas city. Adding the lanes really has no negatives at all (other than making the interstate feel even more empty which others have mentioned)
The one downside is that they need to remove something else from the map to free up the space for the extra lanes. Not necessarily an issue, but there is a downside.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
SuchManor

#3330 Post by SuchManor » 21 May 2022 00:55

That is true. I suggest to remove something the player will never see like the example I gave. It really won’t be that much space.
Check out my screenshots

Return to “General discussion about the game”