Texas Discussion Thread

Shiva

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3381 Post by Shiva » 23 May 2022 16:57

Buy a yard or 2 per state? depending on size of the state, yeah, that could be something.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
oldmanclippy

#3382 Post by oldmanclippy » 23 May 2022 16:59

I guess overall I'm just looking for the business management side of the game to have more structure and meat to it. Allow us to import a company logo in-game and put it on our trucks and trailers. Designate certain drivers as regional only, while others can do long haul after I decide they've proven themselves. Or let me specialize my drivers in certain cargoes, instead of the jack of all trades that each driver ends up as with enough XP. Basically, the current system of rpg-lite mechanics and no personality isn't cutting it.

I think the best first step would be allowing a more custom company identity without having to use mods. That would get people more invested in the economy side for now while more substantial improvements get made. Whenever a new state comes, I move my HQ to that new state. How cool would it be if I could refresh my company branding every time, so when I move my HQ to Texas I could have on the side of my truck

Clippy Trucking NA
Houston, TX

without making a custom truck skin mod? Speaking of that, a lot of trucking companies have 2 or 3 locations that they list. Let us have a primary HQ and secondary regional HQs. Heck even have the game autopopulate that information on your truck, with the option to customize further. The wishlist could go on forever because there's so many things that could be done to the business management side.

Of course this isn't even touching the whole World of Trucks 1.0 stuff that could come someday which could really bring a lot of depth. But with WoT being more or less the same for years and the number of events evaporating out of thin air the past year or so, I have little faith that WoT will improve substantially in the near future, let alone provide an MMO-lite experience that so many people were hoping for.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Optional Features

#3383 Post by Optional Features » 23 May 2022 17:30

Scale is great, but we really just need to use the available space.

I've been tweaking Denver over the weekend trying to open up some of the roads that SCS already put in. By just deleting some walls and adding some lines, I've added probably 5 miles of roads within the city, and there are plenty more. There's even a new freeway exit and entrance.

And by opening these roads, I've made a path to what could be dozens of additional companies. There could be 50-75 companies a city instead of like 5. And this is repeated across the map.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
HRTrucking

#3384 Post by HRTrucking » 23 May 2022 17:42

@seriousmods Try to add a lot more companies to only one place or area and see what happens. Don't think you'll like it. If you want to make this work you need to add more companies all over the map to each city so the market keeps working right.
VTXcnME

#3385 Post by VTXcnME » 23 May 2022 17:44

I've never understood the purpose of creating roads, buildings, signage along a road in the middle of a town/city and have that road be not useable. Particularly when the road in question, CONNECTS TO ANOTHER DRIVEABLE ROAD. That's one thing SCS does that I've *NEVER* understood.

Road limiters where there's no where to go, sure. But in the middle of a city? Weird.

It would be really nice if SCS would re evaluate this process of theirs, to add more diversity of businesses. There's a host of places competing businesses could be added, I've see it driving around the map. I'll get some screen grabs to post in your other thread @seriousmods .

Impressive this has been done by a single user with a few hours work. Guess it should be simple for SCS to knock down a few barriers, if nothing else, it provides more places for trucks to drive. And opportunities to address the cargo market.
supersobes
Global moderator

#3386 Post by supersobes » 23 May 2022 18:40

The purpose of such roads is simply visual scenery that can be seen from the roads that the player is actually meant to be driving. In the screenshots above, you can see the scenery around those roads is noticeably lower quality because it's only meant to be viewed from a distance. But if SCS was to add the same details to that area that they add near roads that you can drive, it would absolutely destroy the framerate in that area of the map. They wouldn't just get rid of the barriers and open the road to players. SCS quality standards are much higher than that.
xXCARL1992Xx

#3387 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 23 May 2022 18:41

apparently people want a void everywhere we cant drive, or just a green lawn
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Optional Features

#3388 Post by Optional Features » 23 May 2022 18:45

VTXcnME wrote: 23 May 2022 17:44 I've never understood the purpose of creating roads, buildings, signage along a road in the middle of a town/city and have that road be not useable. Particularly when the road in question, CONNECTS TO ANOTHER DRIVEABLE ROAD. That's one thing SCS does that I've *NEVER* understood.

Road limiters where there's no where to go, sure. But in the middle of a city? Weird.

It would be really nice if SCS would re evaluate this process of theirs, to add more diversity of businesses. There's a host of places competing businesses could be added, I've see it driving around the map. I'll get some screen grabs to post in your other thread @seriousmods .

Impressive this has been done by a single user with a few hours work. Guess it should be simple for SCS to knock down a few barriers, if nothing else, it provides more places for trucks to drive. And opportunities to address the cargo market.
One user with literally no skill lol: this is only like the second major time I've toyed around with the editor. And I already know enough to at least make the city feel bigger.

There's one road along an interstate that connects two driveable roads, and was useable by removing one barricade and a cut plane. I plan to add some limited detail and try to figure out this other barrier, but already I feel
accomplished.
HRTrucking wrote: 23 May 2022 17:42 @seriousmods Try to add a lot more companies to only one place or area and see what happens. Don't think you'll like it. If you want to make this work you need to add more companies all over the map to each city so the market keeps working right.
Well, you see I think I'm going to fake the concept of tons of companies with repair triggers. Those don't have the same effect, right?
oldmanclippy

#3389 Post by oldmanclippy » 23 May 2022 19:09

I'm not saying they shouldn't make more of these roads driveable and more of these businesses functional, but testing is a massive part of software development, and the more you develop, the more you test. And in video games, adding more stuff doesn't necessarily result in a linear increase in test load, often times it's exponential to some effect. So what looks like 20% more roads in a city might lead to 30% more testing required, etc. Again I'm not saying they shouldn't increase density in this way, but this is a better reason why they wouldn't besides performance concerns.

I still think that when SCS brings on newbies, they should have them add some businesses, roads, etc to existing areas. Even just one road as a project (like what they did with Iberia), or maybe 1 or 2 cities enhanced with more prefabs or more unlocked roads, would really add up over time.
Last edited by oldmanclippy on 23 May 2022 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
supersobes
Global moderator

#3390 Post by supersobes » 23 May 2022 19:09

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 23 May 2022 18:41 ...or just a green lawn
They'll get that when we get to North Dakota. :lol:

[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”