Texas Discussion Thread

Shiva

Re: Texas Discussion Thread

#3131 Post by Shiva » 12 May 2022 22:28

NWbyNW wrote: 12 May 2022 22:04 Yeah, it's a shame. Everyone here just completely ignored my post as well as what you've been saying too. Instead one person responded harshly to my post trying to say that "because pine trees appear here on the map and there on the map, they are all the same, etc, etc." So I guess no one cares except us... Shame.
NWbyNW, I did ask about the trees. See page 312.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
NWbyNW

#3132 Post by NWbyNW » 12 May 2022 22:49

Shiva wrote: 12 May 2022 10:10
NWbyNW wrote: 12 May 2022 04:18 Most of the trees in the Texas 'Logging' blog post are not flora from Texas. They are using assets from Washington and Oregon and have the wrong trees including Douglas Fir, Sitka Spruce, and various Evergreens.
So none of the trees are the following? :
https://www.treehugger.com/common-unite ... es-1343033
wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_Woods
Pinus taeda, loblolly pine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_taeda
Pinus echinata, the shortleaf pine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_echinata + https://shortleafpine.org/why-shortleaf/history
Longleaf Pine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longleaf_pine
Oops, sorry, didn't see this. Yes, these particular pines all exist within the central east Texas eco-region and around various areas of the Gulf. These would be proper tree's to have instead of the one's they are using in the blog post photos.
Optional Features

#3133 Post by Optional Features » 12 May 2022 23:57

NWbyNW wrote: 12 May 2022 22:04
koolizz wrote: 12 May 2022 08:21 @NWbyNW I have been pointing this rehashing of textures and models out for ages, but whenever you do you always get the response that ”most US states look same, they all share vegetation so its quite realistic”. You are absolutely right, there are variations in vegetations IRL that SCS cares little about. They reuse most assets across the whole map, which is why more and more DLCs are starting to look the same. The IRL differences to vegetation is mostly missing, even though there are some unique assets to some states.But its a bit of a shame when we can’t tell a Texas forestry blog from a Wyoming, Colorado or a Montana one. We should be able to, particularly in terms of vegetation variation.
Yeah, it's a shame. Everyone here just completely ignored my post as well as what you've been saying too. Instead one person responded harshly to my post trying to say that "because pine trees appear here on the map and there on the map, they are all the same, etc, etc." So I guess no one cares except us... Shame.
The trees look a bit funny to me as well. I just don't know trees that well.
flight50

#3134 Post by flight50 » 13 May 2022 01:25

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 12 May 2022 20:24 Strange... I would expect the 2D department to create new companies first, so that the 3D modellers can create models/prefabs/assets, and then mappers can put those new companies on the map. Not the other way around, because then you would constraint the 3D modellers regarding dimensions of the models/prefabs/assets.
Prefab first seems right to me actually. The name or logo is then made to suite the prefab. We can have tons of buildings with no name. The naming comes after as the logo design is made to fit the prefab. Size of the prefab doesn't dictate the name though. So constraint shouldn't be in play by any means, its just a name, not a definition of the depot. Size should be irrelevant to a name.
Viper28

#3135 Post by Viper28 » 13 May 2022 03:34

angrybirdseller wrote: 12 May 2022 07:25 Viper 28@they do look at information posted on the fourm. Just complaining like some do accomplishs nothing for players.
:roll:
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
Travismods

#3136 Post by Travismods » 13 May 2022 05:51

@seriousmods I don’t know much about trees either, but I know enough to know a Texas blog should not be using the same exact assets as all the other previous states blogs every time. At this rate all states are starting to look the same because not only are prefabs and companies copy pasted, so are vegetation, trees and parked cars and ai traffic. I cannot tell these blogs apart anymore. The only thing SCS really spend time on diversifying are buildings, they create a lot of custom houses and what not. But completely ignoring vegetation differences is leading to the world looking a bit boring. I don’t get a feeling of a variation in climate with these blogs, because I see the same vegetation copy pasted in northern Washington as across Texas.

Of course people here will ignore this even though they know its true (no one of the frequent users will respond), lets instead debate on about traffic signal designs or some other small irrelevant company detail that we could live without instead of telling SCS the world just looks bland and copy pasted at this point. Montana is not Texas. Washington is not New Mexico is not Oklahoma. There is way too little diversity to the vegetation in ATS, the game kind of suggests all states are the same except some pines in the north and some palm trees in the south. Thats not realistic at all and it sure is more important than some of the things people here spend 200 pages discussing. It would be wise to demand more of SCS in this regard before its too late and we drive around NY state with the same vegetation as the Pacific Northwest or Florida with the exact same as California. The complete US world is going to look more or less the same wherever we go in terms of vegetation, which should be more important for diversity than whatever company texture you slap on an old prefab.
Vinnie Terranova

#3137 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 13 May 2022 06:33

If the screenshots of the Logging Industry blog represent the real life Texas ecosystem of eastern Texas, can we also expect new ecosystems? Or are the ecosystems in Texas just a mix of Oregon, Washington and New Mexico, to name a few?

I'm curious about this, because the problem with ETS2 for instance is that the ecosystems in eastern Europe look very similar, so you can't tell in what country you are if you just look at the vegetation. The same could happen with Texas; if you look at the vegetation in the screenshots of this Logging Industry blog, I can't tell that it is much different than ecosystems we already have. Ofcourse I might be wrong, because I don't know trees very well, too.
Midiangel

#3138 Post by Midiangel » 13 May 2022 06:54

The blogs of Montana and Texas about the lumber industry gave me déjà vu with Washington. I even thought so at first.

#3139 Post by flight50 » 13 May 2022 06:58

@Vinnie Terranova Yes East Texas is different than the PNW. The tree species to most people all look the same but if you compare pics side by side of real life, you can tell the difference. So lumber in Texas should bring different cargo than what the PNW would. Doesn't have to be much but indicating that region of lumber would be ideal. I can't say this would be reflected in the game though. Good chance that lumber is lumber in ATS for the time being. But for the lumber cargoes we have, we could get modified copies for East Texas for from scratch models.

I'm sure the sawmills differ too. As the trees come in, the staging around the mill would show those species of tree. Here is a bit of reading from one of the sawmill that tells you the 4 main species in East Texas. Of the 4, longleaf and shortleaf could be in ATS, harvested and yield cargo. Southern Yellow Pine is very common here dimensional lumber. Along with that plywood and pulpwood are easy cargos for ATS to have. I think we should have OSB, CDX or BC plywood and then a hardwood or somewhat.

https://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/aldridge/forest.html
Survivor11

#3140 Post by Survivor11 » 13 May 2022 07:26

koolizz wrote: 11 May 2022 22:24 Lol. I never asked SCS to do Texas to only my taste @angrybirdseller . I am pretty sure I am not the only one that asks for more content and more diversity, especially company diversity akin to ETS2, which SCS can apparently deliver, if they want to.

But yeah, lets see me, 1 single person, do a whole state DLC and all assets compared to a team of hundreds of game developers.....sure bud. Seems reasonable :?
If I recall correctly, SCS only has between 4 to 8 people working on a single state at a time.

I'm not sure about that however, so don't quote me on it.
Just your local Alsatian. <3

Return to “General discussion about the game”