Montana Discussion Thread

oldmanclippy

Re: Montana Discussion Thread

#1861 Post by oldmanclippy » 01 Jul 2022 13:21

Bedavd wrote: 01 Jul 2022 08:13 Ah man, I put this thread together a while ago to help update on the plates. Maybe SCS just liked those 90’s plates better and decided to use them as the default. I’d prefer they use the blue plates but I noticed driving through Montana a few years ago that they seem to have a lot more variety in plate design than most other states. Looking forward to Montana coming soon, though!

Edit: opening the game up it looks like they don’t have separate plates for the tractors or trailers or police cars yet, so it’s likely still in the middle of being worked on in the beta. I care a lot about the plates so hopefully that’s the case.
If any state was to feature a wonky license plate choice, it should be Montana. I've never seen so much variety in license plates than in Montana.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that you can still get that plate today, and that there isn't a "default" plate design per se in Montana like there are in other states. The one in the image is a replica 1991 plate, which Wikipedia lists as having been issued from 2012-Present. Here's what it says:
Replicas of 1991, 2000 and 2006 bases and the optional Montana Centennial plate, issued due to mixed reception of the 2010 blue base. Motorists can choose any one of these five plates.
And the Montana DOJ website lists them as "Alternate Standard Plates", distinct from their other optional plate designs. Very interesting. So IMO, SCS didn't really screw up here. Now if every plate is the 1991 Replica Alternate Standard plate, then that would be weird. But I can't say it would be an illegitimate choice considering that these plates don't come with extra fees. So while the blue is the "default", these are also standard if that makes sense.

https://dojmt.gov/driving/license-plates/

Maybe they'll include multiple passenger options and let them spawn randomly. ETS2 lets you spawn a different license plate in different cities for countries that make a differentiation. I can't imagine that adding a randomized element would be too difficult, plus it would pave the way for out of state plates to appear. It would be pretty amazing attention to detail if all 5 Montana standard plates were eligible to spawn on passenger vehicles.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#1862 Post by flight50 » 01 Jul 2022 13:29

werewoooooooolf wrote: 01 Jul 2022 13:08 Which link, @flight50? That was SCS' tweet though...
SCS tweet but AP101 posted a pic of the Montana microsite. Anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt. SCS wouldn't broadcast the exact blog coming like that. They'd just do it. The microsites are the teaser already. We just don't know which blog is next.
rbsanford

#1863 Post by rbsanford » 01 Jul 2022 13:41

I don't know, SCS kind of spelled it out there. "7,12,1,3,9,5,18" means "Glacier," while "Gameplay" would be "7,1,13,5,16,12,1,25."

On the other hand, the simple gematria of "Glacier" equals 55, which is also the reverse full reduction gematria of "Wisconsin," so maybe Wisconsin will be confirmed too.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
halbtollekreatur

#1864 Post by halbtollekreatur » 01 Jul 2022 13:52

The Twitter Pic could be here somewhere on the Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park
Shiva

#1865 Post by Shiva » 01 Jul 2022 13:57

Yeah, somewhere there.
SCS's sort of almost look better than the IRL? https://www.google.com/maps/@48.7250588 ... 312!8i6656
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
halbtollekreatur

#1866 Post by halbtollekreatur » 01 Jul 2022 14:02

The mountain in your location fits better and the wall next to the road in my location fits better. So probably a mixture of both that comes with the reduction in size.
hangman005

#1867 Post by hangman005 » 01 Jul 2022 14:22

Gonna be Glacier NP blog, seeing as the numbers spell Glacier.
clifflandmark

#1868 Post by clifflandmark » 01 Jul 2022 14:34

Going to sun Road !! Thank you.

*Applause

Edit : I'm still not sure, it's looking like Going to Sun Road.Its prohibited to commercials. Since it's an important landmark and represent Montana, they could add although prohibition.
oldmanclippy

#1869 Post by oldmanclippy » 01 Jul 2022 15:01

Yeah Going-to-the-Sun is a road that I wouldn't say no to since it's so darn scenic, but it serves absolutely zero benefit from a trucking perspective even for those who are willing to eschew realism to take it. US-34, that's a shortcut between US-40 and Fort Collins. Yellowstone, that's a shortcut to get between Jackson, Cody, and Bozeman. Yosemite, again a shortcut from Bay Area to Nevada.

Going-to-the-Sun is kind of in the same boat as Grossglockner: a world-famous road that's really cool to drive but has no utility in-game. Mayyyybe it will be a shortcut from Kalispell to Alberta in 15 years but I bet it's still slower than going around. It's just kind of a weird addition. And I know that if someone from SCS reads this might think "make up your mind, do you want national park roads or not???" while tearing their hair out in frustration at the mercurial fans, again I think the wrong lesson might have been learnt from Yellowstone.

Illegal non-commercial road that acts as an optional alternate shortcut for those who are willing to eschew realism? Great put it in the game!

Illegal non-commercial road that is simply a loop and doesn't add any trucking utility even for those willing to eschew realism? Probably not worth spending the manpower to put it in game unless there's no important commercial road misses, IMO.

Then again, Grossglockner falls into that category, and I love it. So I'm sure I'll love Going-to-the-Sun. Its inclusion will just increase the scrutiny on missing commercial roads. Austria had no misses so Grossglockner was a nice fun bonus. Montana is gonna have some misses, and some big ones if US-20 is missing. So Going-to-the-Sun is gonna sting for me IMO. I would have preferred they spend their energy elsewhere. Again, sorry to the SCS employee reading this who gets an annuerism because they're fresh off the headache that was the Yellowstone debacle. But I really do think there is a substantive difference between most of the NP roads in-game, and Going-to-the-Sun, in terms of worthiness to be included in ATS.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Tristman

#1870 Post by Tristman » 01 Jul 2022 15:21

I think Going-to-the-Sun road will be a nice addition, but indeed not all that useful. I think the main reason we got it, is because it's up against the Canadian border, and it's not in the way of anything else. I guess I would see it as a Garden of the Gods, but in a more convenient place where it doesn't push roads or cities away.

I have good hopes that we will see US-20 to WYS eventually, even if it's missing from the DLC's launch. I'm not sure that the presence or absence of Glacier Park would have changed anything about that either.

Return to “General discussion about the game”