Montana Discussion Thread

Vinnie Terranova

Re: Montana Discussion Thread

#1342 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 24 May 2022 15:57

I wonder if in that video SCS has used Cip's Real Traffic Density and Ratio instead of default traffic density...
Bedavd

#1344 Post by Bedavd » 24 May 2022 18:04

Pic 1 - Lookout Pass on I-90. I remember this pass pretty distinctly when I moved out to Washington and it's cool to see here. Looks really good to how I remember it.
Pic 2 - Exit of the Lost Trail Pass Rest Area on US 93, just north of Salmon, ID.
Pic 3 - Entrance of the Lost Trail Pass Rest Area on US 93.
Pic 4 - US 93 at the Lost Trail Pass, the rest area from Pic 2 and 3 is visible in the background. The road branching on the left is ID/MT-43 and travels east to I-15. I hope we get this road to help connect Salmon up to the interstate, but I'm not holding my breath.
Pic 5 - Overpass on I-90 at Lookout Pass, facing west toward the Idaho boarder.
Pic 6 - Lookout Pass Ski Area, just off of Exit 0 on I-90. The building on the left is in Montana, and the larger one is in Idaho, with the boarder running right between them.
Pic 7 - From the Lookout Pass Ski Area, looking east over I-90 as it enters Idaho and the Rocky Mountains beyond. The Google car doesn't get close enough to the embankment for the photo to show I-90.
Pic 8 - Lolo Pass Rest Area on US 12.
Pic 9 - Lolo Pass on US 12, the Rest Are from Pic 8 is visible in the background. How beautiful does this look in the winter!
Pic 10 - Think it's just a bit south of Lolo Pass in Idaho, at this pull off area. You can't see through the trees but beyond them US 12 curves and cuts into the mountain similarly to what we have in the photo.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
Izmaragon

#1345 Post by Izmaragon » 24 May 2022 19:38

Ah, I remember Lolo pass.. Not my most recent memory but the time it was on fire in late 80s... Thats the most vivid memory I have of it...

Lookout pass... Look out below... =P

Jokes aside, I look forward to Montana coming.
My WoT

Show trucks are working trucks, they simply do the same job in a slightly more noticeable and stylish fashion.
Viper28

#1346 Post by Viper28 » 25 May 2022 04:08

duplicate by mistake
Last edited by Viper28 on 25 May 2022 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
Viper28

#1347 Post by Viper28 » 25 May 2022 04:09

Viper28 wrote: 25 May 2022 04:08
Vinnie Terranova wrote: 24 May 2022 15:57 I wonder if in that video SCS has used Cip's Real Traffic Density and Ratio instead of default traffic density...
I hope not. That's a bit sketchy if they are. As the developer you need to showcase your own product as you make it; if you're going to utilize mods then IMO the modder needs to be at least credited in the piece of media and ideally paid or on staff. Not to mention if your base content media content is using mods, that's probably a strong indicator you need to take a serious look at addressing that issue "in-house."

Don't do that.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
harishw8r

#1348 Post by harishw8r » 25 May 2022 04:21

Would be mostly g_traffic tuned for different times. They would not have used mods at all.
rbsanford

#1349 Post by rbsanford » 25 May 2022 06:30

Very nice blog post, with some good historical content!

For some extra historical context: the Corps of Expedition traveled up the valley of Horse Pasture Creek, westward from the modern Clark Canyon Reservoir, and crossed the Great Divide at Lemhi Pass (east of modern Tendoy, today crossed by a dirt road) on August 12, 1805. They expected, and hoped, to see the Pacific in the distance, but instead found endless mountains; this confirmed that there was no Northwest Passage through the new territory. Here they also met the Shoshone people (the very band from which Sacajawea had been kidnapped as a child, as a matter of fact), who gave them a general lay of the land, and pointed the party towards the Nez Perces to the northwest, in the area of modern-day Lewiston. Three routes were proposed: going south to the Snake River, and following that, which would have taken the party through inhospitable desert and daunting canyons; following the Salmon River, which was running rather wildly, and was considered unsafe (this would also have taken the party through a long and difficult canyon, which even today is notorious for its rapids, and is often called the "Canyon of No Return"); and an overland route via the Bitterroot Valley, which was chosen. A Shoshone the party named "Toby" guided them down the Lemhi and Salmon Rivers and over Lost Trail Pass into the Bitterroot Valley, where they met with the Flatheads. The Flatheads gave the party some horses, let them camp (at the site of Travelers' Rest State Park in Lolo), and informed them of the route westward, saying it would be an easy five days to the ocean, which was way off. Following a well-established trail, and with the help of Toby, it took nine days to travel from the Bitterroot Valley to the Columbia Plateau, a route that took them over Lolo Pass; this was one of the most difficult legs of the expedition, as there was indeed horrible weather, grueling terrain, and a lack of food.

Too bad we didn't get any shots of Lost Trail's grades. There are some good switchbacks there, especially on the south slope.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Midiangel

#1350 Post by Midiangel » 25 May 2022 06:48

Thanks for the interesting story!

Return to “General discussion about the game”