Montana Discussion Thread

Sora

Re: Montana Discussion Thread

#3611 Post by Sora » 08 Aug 2022 10:24

yukonjack_ak wrote: 06 Aug 2022 21:54 In my opinion, this is what Billings should've been...
Do bear in mind that even the absolute largest city in the SCSverse (which for some reason is Albuquerque) doesn't have this many depots. In fact, aside from Albuquerque, the cap is generally 12, and even that's usually reserved for megacities like Madrid, Saint Petersburg, Los Angeles, and... apparently Redding, because someone on the rework team had an extra coffee that day.

But in any case, the only way Billings (which also has Laurel right next to it, for extra depots) is getting anywhere close to that many depots is if basically every city in ETS2 and ATS gains about 50-60% more depots than they currently have. And indeed, there's a perfectly valid and reasonable argument that they should... but that's not a "Billings rework" or even a "Montana rework", but a "two entire honking games" rework, so it probably isn't happening anytime soon. Especially when some of the east coast cities will probably be struggling to even fit this many.
Shiva

#3612 Post by Shiva » 08 Aug 2022 11:39

Regarding Shelby.
It is scenery and made as scenery.
But, I do think it is possible to make a few depots/deliveries for it, if wanted.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
VTXcnME

#3613 Post by VTXcnME » 08 Aug 2022 12:50

I know there's some folks who are disappointed with certain stretches (I94 notably). And I KNOW that I'm going to have the same criticisms when they get to my state (Maine, so not very soon).

Montana, overall, I feel is one of the better states to have been released so far. I am impressed with how full some of the cities feel, with depots stacked in behind other depots. The mountains and rolling hills feel mostly authentic. I'm digging the new cargos we got. The dumpsters/waste carboard. I'm digging on the trees (I can see these being used during the christmas event, hauling xmas trees).

One thing I'm absolutely impressed with is our community goal on cruising Montana. As of this post, we're at 50,785,000-ish miles out of 100,000,000. I've been driving the crap out of world of trucks contracts, and it looks like a lot of you all are too. Lets get after it guys! I'm thinking we can destroy that goal before next week! 4 days into launch and were already halfway there! Bravo to all of us contributing on that front!
flight50

#3614 Post by flight50 » 08 Aug 2022 12:56

rbsanford wrote: 08 Aug 2022 05:58 I just drove Going to the Sun.

I've been everywhere in ATS, of course, and I've been to most places in ETS2 (the only map DLC I don't have is Iberia), including the Großglockner Road. Let me just say one thing, without exaggeration: Going to the Sun is the most scenic road in the entire SCS universe, hands down, no contest. The previous most scenic road in ATS, the Trail Ridge Road, while still being very beautiful, has been completely outclassed. I came in with high expectations, and this road went beyond them. Did only one person really make it? Whoever did this road deserves a big raise and a promotion.

For anyone who hasn't driven it yet, I'd recommend going from west to east. The wonder begins gradually, and after you round the first switchback, everything just sort of unfolds as you move east, and it's one amazing view after another. Then after you crest Logan Pass it's another gradual transition, this time back to the normal world. Then, when you think you're all done, you get this one last view from US 89:
It's been shown in the Glacier blog post, the trailer, and the official gameplay video, but when you see it in this context, after having driven Going to the Sun, the view feels absolutely massive.
I haven't driven it yet. I don't plan to til another week or two from now. Thanks for the advise on how to drive it though. I'll try West to East. But yes Davido stated it was one person that did it surprisingly. He mentioned that they wanted to show up the Austria team (person) that did the Alps. So it was kinda of an internal competition, lol. That's cool to see. Because even on the ATS side of the forum, there are a few post that praise Austria as the king of scenes. So for Montana to do what its doing, in less than 12 months and pretty much fast tracked ahead of Texas is amazing. Some will say its rushed some think its great as is. I can't say exactly yet as I've only covered about 10-15% of the dlc so far. But what I'm seeing looks great outside of Helena's depot choices. I have a lot more to see though. Montana is "that" state I've been waiting for and finally its here.

@VTXcnME OMG. We are smashing that event, lol. It will slow down a tad though. A lot of people completed theirs already and may not drive more. I plan to drive until the event is over but I'm not sure if my loads count still after I hit my goal. I think they still do. The goal may have to be set much higher for Texas though. If its has the same criteria, I think we'd be done already, lol. I think a lotttttt of people are waiting for Texas.
VTXcnME

#3615 Post by VTXcnME » 08 Aug 2022 13:39

@flight50 as long as the job goes to or from Montana- it should still count. I'm jumping around the map to grab loads that fill in connectors from other states, fill in roads I didn't discover during cruising Montana contracts.

I'm fairly impressed with Montana- despite some of the criticisms here (justified in some situations) I think they did a helluva job. Texas is gonna have to be perfect to outshine Montana in my mind.
parasaurolophus67

#3616 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 08 Aug 2022 13:43

pretty much finished filling in every road. This state is pretty amazing. Along with Glacier park... holy crap it was beautiful. I want to meet the guy that did that and shake his hand AND buy him lunch lol This state was awesome to travel on and to discover. Because of the prehab problem I give it a 9/10. But besides that the state itself was awesome. :) Good job SCS.
yukonjack_ak

#3617 Post by yukonjack_ak » 08 Aug 2022 14:18

flight50 wrote: 06 Aug 2022 23:22 Very awesome sketch map you made. Only one issue.......its way too many depots. I counted 16. For a city like Billings, the max would be about 9-10.
You're right (along with a few other folks that have mentioned it like @Sora ) that it is far too many depots but I was trying to show that there are quite a few options for industry that is actually IN Billings, right off the interstate, and not in Lockwood. They could pick/choose from any of those and been spot on, but instead they opted to put 75% of "Billings" in a town that's ~10 miles away. That's almost the same distance from Billings as Laurel is. It'd be the same if they put all the industry in Tacoma and tried to call it Seattle; or Dallas/Ft Worth, Midland/Odessa, etc. And then the part of Billings they did give us (downtown) is only driven by trucks making local deliveries because there are length/weight restrictions.

In any case, aside from Billings and 94, I think this is by far the best ATS DLC. The amount of small details that made it in have amazed me. Eddies Corner on 87. Grey Cliff on 90. The Dash-In in Lewistown. Love seeing all of them in game.
My ATS Steam Workshop
- Western Star 4900FA Patch
- Mack Anthem Bull Bars
- Cascadia Sunvisor Fix
- Sweet Bran skin for SCS Grain Hopper
oldmanclippy

#3618 Post by oldmanclippy » 08 Aug 2022 14:35

yukonjack_ak wrote: 08 Aug 2022 14:18 In any case, aside from Billings and 94, I think this is by far the best ATS DLC.
This is pretty much how I feel. So much of it is a step above Wyoming which was pleasantly surprising. Yes, it's starting to plateau, but there are meaningful steps forward in the realms of mountain backdrops, elevation change, curve banking, city layouts, forest density, signage, environmental detail, and more. I think it's clear that it was rushed out the door, and I still think US-20 should be added ASAP, and of course I-94 was a letdown, but everything else about the DLC is really really good. Especially US-2 west of I-15.

Makes me really excited to see what they can do with Oklahoma. Hopefully not rushed this time. This team only got 9 months for Wyoming as a team of newbies, and moved up the release window for Montana by 4 months. They deserve a chance to show what they can do with a normal development length.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
BASSLovah

#3619 Post by BASSLovah » 08 Aug 2022 14:41

Loving Montana so far and haven't been through Glacier Park yet!

The grades on the roads and inside cities makes it even more realistic and interesting.

My only criticism regarding this DLC is the lack of US-20 between Idaho Falls and West Yellowstone and MT-200 between Missoula and Great Falls. I've also seen some very low-res hill textures right next to some driveable roads and I really hope they work on that..

Other than that, amazing DLC!
Shiva

#3620 Post by Shiva » 08 Aug 2022 15:04

US-20 between Idaho Falls and West Yellowstone, that 1 I think should be easier to implement, than MT-200, between Missoula and Great Falls.
If cheating with the Great Falls end, then MT-200's odds should get better.

I have checked a bit on roads midsouth Montana and https://www.google.com/maps/dir/White+S ... d46.445242 could be possible.
+ US-191 north from it.
Circle to Sidney, could be possible too https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Circle/ ... 416417!1m0 .
Troy to Thompson Falls, might very well have enough space? https://www.google.com/maps/dir/48.4357 ... 9777,9.62z
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.

Return to “General discussion about the game”