Montana Discussion Thread

Vinnie Terranova

Re: Montana Discussion Thread

#1831 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 30 Jun 2022 17:11

seriousmods wrote: 30 Jun 2022 16:25A west coast log truck being unloaded
This is what I don't like about ATS: all we do is pick a trailer with cargo from point A and deliver that trailer with cargo to point B. At point B we leave the trailer with cargo behind... But this is not always realistic. Take a look at that log trailer: in real life, when you arrive at point B with your log trailer with some logs, only those logs are unloaded, and the truck driver leaves point B with his empty trailer.
CarCat

#1832 Post by CarCat » 30 Jun 2022 17:15

Here's all the box trailers for new companies in Montana, as seen in 1.45 OB

Faraday Energy
[ external image ]

Great Falls Cargo Terminal
[ external image ]

Sweet Beets
[ external image ]

Walden's Landscape Supplies
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there...

I live in Rhode Island and love anything related to trucks.

Specs: Ryzen 3 2200G, 1660 Super, 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Optional Features

#1833 Post by Optional Features » 30 Jun 2022 17:32

oldmanclippy wrote: 30 Jun 2022 16:36 ETS2 has some dirt roads that are pretty tight in Bulgaria and Latvia I think. And some tight paved roads in Iberia. Another example of an area that ATS could learn from ETS2.
ETS2 is consistently a better game. Better docks, better cargo, better companies, better mountains (in Austria), etc.
Vinnie Terranova wrote: 30 Jun 2022 17:11 This is what I don't like about ATS: all we do is pick a trailer with cargo from point A and deliver that trailer with cargo to point B. At point B we leave the trailer with cargo behind... But this is not always realistic. Take a look at that log trailer: in real life, when you arrive at point B with your log trailer with some logs, only those logs are unloaded, and the truck driver leaves point B with his empty trailer.
Flight50 mentioned earlier that ATS is mainly about OTR trucking. Perhaps that is what the game has become, but that is due to SCS more than what is represented. We have a lot of things in game that aren't OTR related (like these log sites or mines), but the overall concept of the game (an oversimplified version of trucking) persists.

Log trucking is a major industry in Washington, Oregon, northern California, Idaho, Montana, Colorado, and maybe a bit of Wyoming. And while I don't expect SCS to full grasp its concepts, I wish the game would make things possible. Being able to dump a chip trailer like that should be possible. Being able to script in a pole log truck should be possible. Being able to haul cargo on a mule train (on both truck and trailer) should be possible.

Right now, we are limited to what you describe, drop and hook everything.

Piggybacking trailers is another common part of log trucking: I don't necessarily expect this in game as a feature, but it should be possible.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Vinnie Terranova

#1834 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 30 Jun 2022 17:55

CarCat wrote: 30 Jun 2022 17:15Here's all the box trailers for new companies in Montana, as seen in 1.45 OB
Do you know if those new companies also have some new visible cargo? Because those box trailers are actually just normal trailers we already have for a long time, but with a different skin. That's all. So it would be very nice if those companies also come with new visible cargo...
Tristman

#1835 Post by Tristman » 30 Jun 2022 17:57

seriousmods wrote: 30 Jun 2022 17:32
Flight50 mentioned earlier that ATS is mainly about OTR trucking. Perhaps that is what the game has become, but that is due to SCS more than what is represented. We have a lot of things in game that aren't OTR related (like these log sites or mines), but the overall concept of the game (an oversimplified version of trucking) persists.
I'm pretty sure the game always was about OTR trucking. It wasn't until Oregon when they released all the logging stuff, with the Forestry DLC on top.
Later on we got more mines and off-road stuff, but the core concept was always OTR.

I agree SCS should maybe try a little harder to also nail the off-road trucking, but let's not pretend that the off-road part is what the game was all about from the beginning.
Optional Features

#1836 Post by Optional Features » 30 Jun 2022 18:53

Tristman wrote: 30 Jun 2022 17:57 I'm pretty sure the game always was about OTR trucking. It wasn't until Oregon when they released all the logging stuff, with the Forestry DLC on top.
Later on we got more mines and off-road stuff, but the core concept was always OTR.

I agree SCS should maybe try a little harder to also nail the off-road trucking, but let's not pretend that the off-road part is what the game was all about from the beginning.
Yes and no.

Original California (LA) had a downtown construction site. The vast majority of deliveries to construction sites are not long haul truckers. Dump trailers were an early cargo market addon: again, not OTR.

SCS limited itself to OTR by focusing exclusively on making the map bigger and adding more scenery rather than honing industries within existing dlcs. That's why we have what we have today: a giant map and very simple, repetitive tasks to do.

Any attempt to include vocational trucking (which is a massive part of the industry) has essentially been postponed indefinitely. Modders have tried, but the game was built with only semi trailers in mind.
Trucker Nik

#1837 Post by Trucker Nik » 30 Jun 2022 19:02

@CarCat Montana has 6 or 7 new companies, check the semi-trailer catalog again, two companies you didn't send here are in Cody
oldmanclippy

#1838 Post by oldmanclippy » 30 Jun 2022 19:07

seriousmods wrote: 30 Jun 2022 17:32 ETS2 is consistently a better game. Better docks, better cargo, better companies, better mountains (in Austria), etc.
On one hand, yes. ICCs in ETS2 put ATS to shame. From a map perspective, allmost everything about the Austria rework is better than ATS. Heck you can even drive smack dab through the middle of Vienna now (every major city in Europe should get us into it, I'm pretty sick of ring-roads only and trucks do go into city centers in Europe via parkways). The mountains are phenomenal, with amazing detail, models, and scale. Signage is a new high point for both games. Tons of road density while letting each city breathe and have space from one to the other. Adding an optional national park road while still getting all the other important commercial roads in. It's the best region in either game, with IMO only parts of Wyoming (US-191 through Jackson Hole, Jackson, US-14 through Yellowstone, Cody) being able to compete.

I will say that ATS on the whole does a much better job of depicting small towns than ETS2. It seems like there is more of an emphasis on scenic unmarked towns, although Romania and Austria do this well too. Just look at the screenshots we've seen for Montana and Texas for unmarked cities so far. Almost as much attention to detail goes into them as into the big cities. When I think of Europe, sure I think of the big cities, but I moreso think of small quaint historic towns and villages. France and Germany should be peppered with them, but they are few and far between. Austria brought them and they'll have to come with West Balkans. So that's one area that I feel like ETS2 is only just starting to catch up to ATS in.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
CarCat

#1839 Post by CarCat » 30 Jun 2022 19:13

Virtual Trucker 51 wrote: 30 Jun 2022 19:02 @CarCat Montana has 6 or 7 new companies, check the semi-trailer catalog again, two companies you didn't send here are in Cody
Ah, I didn't think to include them having actually seen them in-game, plus they had actual names in the browser whereas the ones I posted had file names. Here are the others:

18 Wheels Garage
[ external image ]

Municipal Waste Management (MWM)
[ external image ]

Mon Coeur Vineyards
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there...

I live in Rhode Island and love anything related to trucks.

Specs: Ryzen 3 2200G, 1660 Super, 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM
oldmanclippy

#1840 Post by oldmanclippy » 30 Jun 2022 19:15

Mon Coeur is from the California rework.

6 new companies is OK. Not as good as I hoped, but at least it's getting closer to where Oregon was. A state Montana's size should have brought about 10 IMO. 6 will be noticeable but not game-changing unfortunately.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)

Return to “General discussion about the game”