Speed Limiter with World of Trucks

FirestormMk3

Speed Limiter with World of Trucks

#1 Post by FirestormMk3 » 17 Jul 2020 08:12

I do apologize if I retread some ground here as I know this has been a part of WoT jobs for quite some time, but in terms of recent discussion a cursory search only brought up an old thread from several years ago on the ETS2 board. A big part of my mentioning this here and now is admittedly as I've mentioned elsewhere when I joined this board circumstances meant I took a long hiatus from ATS and only started playing again the last couple months. Though I had bought state DLCs I actually had not played since before the map rescale, and I only further delayed my rejoining both games when circumstances lead to the loss of my saves in both games (including the backup I had on another HDD) and the significant number of hours involved demoralized me.

I guess that's enough preface on why I am bringing up something that may be old hat. To be short I find it irksome to be limited to below the speed limit for trucks in the United States during these jobs and have them both take longer and have AI traffic, including other trucks, blowing past me the whole way (as they would if you drove below the speed limit on American highways) every time I do a job on WoT. Having been based out of CA I did not really notice at first (for similar reasons as to why it never bothered me in ETS2 - the speed limit is always at or below the limiter in CA as it almost always is nearly everywhere in Europe) but it's a real pain when you so a long-distance haul outside of the state and aren't doing special transport. Worse there does not seem to be any compelling reason for this "feature." The only official explanation I got anywhere was to make sure everyone is playing by the same rules. Yet forgive me if this sounds harsh but that explanation just doesn't hold water. Ignoring for a second the game does't exactly have competitive multiplayer anyway and that it's not like mods are forbidden in WoT jobs, even if the sole purpose was to have an "equal playing field" on delivery times of similar jobs then the person who turns off damage and traffic fines and then delivers only within CA suddenly has the advantage over the person obeying the traffic laws. This being a feature for that stated reason makes no sense in this context. It would only really make sense if the limiter was dynamically linked to the local speed limit. If the goal is to ensure drivers drive correctly and responsibly then if anything is hard-locked on it should be things like traffic violations with runs being disqualified if you break the law (note I'm not advocating for that, just making a point of parity).

Not before someone just says, "Then don't do WoT jobs, it's optional" I understand that. That said obeying the financial constraints of the game or traffic laws or the like are "optional" and we would still be right to complain if either were working in an unbalanced or nonsensical fashion. I actually like doing jobs this way. I like having a logbook of runs and honestly wish logged deliveries hadn't been a brand new feature not long before my hiatus in ETS2 as it would have been cool to at least have a record of all those miles driven and tonnage hauled. That doesn't even touch on participating in community events like the great Genoa Bridge event recently in ETS2 where suddenly I'm going to want to do all my loads as special transport or within CA just to not feel hampered out on the highway. Frankly the "opt out" option is probably what I will pick outside of events in ATS now and it makes me feel like I actually do lose a little something in that game compared to the European counterpart. Generally speaking I'd rather do my jobs through the service even when not in an event, but shouldn't have to crawl along at 15 under the speed limit just to keep a log of my deliveries. It also just makes me less hyped about events in this game vs ETS2 where I preordered ATS because I loved ETS2 and wanted to drive the highways I'm familiar with in the trucks I recognize and generally thought ETS would more fall by the wayside with me except maybe for events, where now ETS events will feel like the same fun while ATS ones will always give me that sense of frustration.

To everyone who read through this I thank you for your time and consideration for the lamentations of one so new to this community. Take care, stay safe, masks up, rubber down, and keep on trucking.
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Speed Limiter with World of Trucks

#2 Post by Madkine » 17 Jul 2020 09:15

This has been brought up many times and SCS aren't going to change their mind on this.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
poozykrem

#3 Post by poozykrem » 17 Jul 2020 09:21

But they should, making speed limits according to actual speed limits signs seems to be right, like 30mph in cities and 80 mph on big highways
xXCARL1992Xx

#4 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 17 Jul 2020 09:28

the speed limiter should limit the speed a truck can achieve, like 90km/h in Europe, or 55mp/h in California and not adjust to the road you are on, this is what they need to change, state depended max. speed limits for trucks on highways and not lock the truck to the speed the street alowes
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Freeze338

#5 Post by Freeze338 » 17 Jul 2020 12:09

In a couple of years later max, Texas will come. Driving 65mph in Texas is just not right... Even in I-15 It's like a torture driving 65mph. In ETS2 they 90 is enough but 65 is not ideal for ATS.

As the @xXCARL1992Xx said state depended speed limit would be nice. Or you can increase that speed limit to 70-75mph for having thr average for all states.
pigbrother

#6 Post by pigbrother » 17 Jul 2020 12:31

75 should be fine. 85 is max only in a small part of Texas. 80 is more common, like the whole Nevada, but the 5 mph difference is fine.

Personally, I don't care, I see no reason to drive faster than 65 with a 40 tons vehicle.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
FirestormMk3

#7 Post by FirestormMk3 » 17 Jul 2020 19:01

poozykrem wrote: 17 Jul 2020 09:21 But they should, making speed limits according to actual speed limits signs seems to be right, like 30mph in cities and 80 mph on big highways
This is the point I'm making. Thank you. We shouldn't just accept that something that makes a cool service for their game inconvenient and worse. If they insist on some sort of limit that is standard at the very least it should be at least as high as the highest legal speed limit in the game.
timski

#8 Post by timski » 17 Jul 2020 20:31

The World of Trucks speed limiter is remarkably unintuitive when first experienced. Why, I wondered, couldn't I exceed 65 mph in Utah? It was only when I exceeded 65 on a non-WoT contract that I realised the limit was hard-coded, and stopped looking in the options for a way to turn the limit off.

The limit itself is largely psychological. Mostly it caps that top 5 or 10 mph that trucks most often only reach for a small fraction of a journey. The limit shouldn't matter, but it does because it plays on the mind: Why can't I reach 80, like the sign says? So much so, that some players appear to skip WoT contracts because they are limited.

I was hoping for some explanation of "to make sure everyone is playing by the same rules", because as @FirestormMk3 points out, the multiplayer sensitivities are not obvious.

I initially presumed the aim was to balance WoT achievements and event progress that monitors distance, and de-incentivise powergaming players from turning off fines and driving flat out. Or even evoking some sort of teleport hack to complete jobs in seconds. But the existing speed limit rule is crude tool indeed: A 65 mph limit does not reflect legal behaviour in California. Likewise 65 mph is about 10 mph faster than ETS2's 90 km/h limit, so there's no parity between players in different games, even though events and achievements are often shared between games.

At the time WoT contracts were introduced, nowhere in ETS2 allowed trucks beyong 90 km/h (Britain increased her Heavy Goods Vehicle limit to 60 mph just after, as I recall), so we may presume that the original reasoning was simply to cap excessive driving speed as crudely as possible. ATS presumably took one look at the first two states and concluded 65 mph would meet the same logic, possibly unaware how much higher speeds would go in subsequent states.

So I conclude that these speed limits were pragmatic reflections on the maximum legal driving speeds at the time they were introduced. But with no capacity for nuance, they are now burning a hole in the conscious of perfectly legit players, who just want to be able to match the legal road speed in more recently added states.

I suppose that if this were easy to fix it would have happened already. World of Trucks isn't a proper online game, and doesn't record player activity with any reliability: For example, by reloading an autosave, one can shift time relative to position, or magically reset truck damage. Given those sorts of vulnerabilities we can reasonably assume WoT can't be trusted to monitor anything much except the start and end timestamps on the WoT server itself. I suspect that's why SCS ended up with the simplest possible hardcoded solution.

That said, there is a strong argument for the WoT contract speed limit to simply match the _current_ highest legal speed anywhere in the game. That would perpetuate the original (as I see it) logic behind the limit, would still cap the truly game-breaking excesses, and would remove the negative psychology of the current limit being too low in many states.
xXCARL1992Xx

#9 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 17 Jul 2020 20:36

timski wrote: 17 Jul 2020 20:31 and doesn't record player activity with any reliability: For example, by reloading an autosave, one can shift time relative to position, or magically reset truck damage.
quick saves wont help you, did your truck get damaged WoTr will already have it registered before you can even act, same goes for roll over of the truck, you cant reverse it, even if you load a previous save from 5 minutes before the roll WoTr will roll you over again where you left it, the time ingame itself is irrelevant because WoTr uses real time anyway

also Europe has 90km/h everywhere without exceptions, UK might have 97 but the EU law overrules it (for now)
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
joschac2

#10 Post by joschac2 » 17 Jul 2020 20:41

Most IRL truck limiters in the USA are set at 73-75/MPH.

I personally cruise at 60-68, that won.t change untill we get to the great plains

Return to “WORLD OF TRUCKS”