Peterbilt Trucks Discussion Thread

supersobes
Global moderator

Peterbilt Trucks Discussion Thread

#1 Post by supersobes » 17 Jul 2020 19:46

Peterbilt Trucks is the one that started it all for American Truck Simulator. The very first time SCS Software revealed that they are working on an American based truck simulator featured a Peterbilt 579. The truck, which was brand new to the truck market in real-life at the time, was featured in a blog titled Stuff we are working on published in March 2013 in which SCS hinted that they have another project they have been working to develop in parallel to Euro Truck Simulator 2.

[ external image ]
Peterbilt 579 teaser from SCS Blog, March 19, 2013

Very early screenshots of the truck appeared to show that the truck was a very experimental project for SCS, such as this screenshot from a blog titled Change of Topic (and Continent!).

[ external image ]
Peterbilt 579 parked with hood and doors open from SCS Blog, September 6, 2013

When American Truck Simulator launched in February 2016, the Peterbilt 579 was one of two trucks that released with the game. Alongside the Kenworth T680, the Peterbilt 579 pioneered the ATS world.

[ external image ]
Peterbilt 579 licensed courtesy of PACCAR from SCS Blog, January 25, 2016

Later that year in November, SCS released the Peterbilt 389, Peterbilt's modern square hood truck with a nod to past icons such as the immensely popular Peterbilt 379.

[ external image ]
Peterbilt 389 promotional image from SCS Blog, November 3, 2016

Since release, these truck have remained largely unchanged. Some subtle improvements have been made to them, and they have been made compatible with all new game features.

[ external image ]
Peterbilt 579 in ATS version 1.38 by supersobes, July 17, 2020

[ external image ]
Peterbilt 389 in ATS version 1.38 by supersobes, July 17, 2020

So what's next for Peterbilt Trucks in ATS? A new model? Reworks? Tuning packs? New options?

The Peterbilt 567 is a truck that comes to mind for a possible new addition to ATS. Although it is a vocational truck, it does come in a class 8 tractor configuration. The Peterbilt 567 by the GTM team has always been a highly popular mod for ATS, and it proves that vocational tractor units could work well in ATS, despite ATS being based largely around OTR trucking.

[ external image ]
Peterbilt 576 promotional image provided on Peterbilt Trucks website

In early 2018, Peterbilt launched a new cabin option for the 579. This is known at the Peterbilt 579 UltraLoft. This cabin targets OTR drivers, providing lots of space and comfort for long trips. Many would feel inclined to compare this option to the largest sleepers on the Freightliner Cascadia and the Volvo VNL. Ever since its launch two years ago, this cabin option has been highly requested by ATS fans.

Along with the UltraLoft cabin, many players have requested reworks of the Peterbilt 579. With it being the oldest model in ATS, dating back seven years, it is definitely below the quality standard of the newest trucks in ATS.

[ external image ]
Peterbilt 579 UltraLoft promotional image provided on Peterbilt Trucks website

[ external image ]
Peterbilt 579 UltraLoft promotional image provided on Peterbilt Trucks website

New tuning options is also somethings that could come to the Peterbilt Trucks in ATS. For example, in the blog Truck Licensing Situation Update, full fenders over the drive axles can be seen on the Peterbilt 389, which are still not in the game to this day. A tuning DLC for Peterbilt trucks has also been a highly requested thing by many players.

[ external image ]
Peterbilt 389 will appear in ATS soon courtesy of PACCAR from SCS Blog, January 25, 2016
55sixxx

Re: Peterbilt Trucks Discussion Thread

#2 Post by 55sixxx » 17 Jul 2020 20:13

I think it's very unlikely that a new Peterbilt will come to ATS. We already have two of them... the odds of a Tuning Pack for it are way bigger tho, but not any time soon, since Pavel already said they're are trying to get all truck brands in-game and only after that they'll start thinking about tuning dlc's.
Skoot

#3 Post by Skoot » 17 Jul 2020 20:50

I want myself a Peterbilt 365 with a setback front axle, bumper headlights and a 72" stand up sleeper. :lol:
busted85

#4 Post by busted85 » 17 Jul 2020 20:54

The open hood and door option would be nice for all of the trucks.
Madkine
Global moderator

#5 Post by Madkine » 18 Jul 2020 00:21

55sixxx wrote: 17 Jul 2020 20:13 I think it's very unlikely that a new Peterbilt will come to ATS.
I agree it unlikely that one will come soon, but new ones will come eventually. Just look to ETS2 where new trucks are being added to existing brands.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
lamar326g

#6 Post by lamar326g » 18 Jul 2020 00:33

@55sixxx I think the purpose of this thread wasn't to say that a new Peterbilt truck was coming soon but simply to get conversations started regarding Peterbilt trucks. As @supersobes mentioned in his kickoff post, Peterbilt has since then introduced new models/updates to their fleet. Hopefully, we'll one day see those newer additions in American Truck Simulator! Besides, the SCS team made it quite clear that they read the various topics published on the forum (and do their best to implement those suggestions in game) and I know that several ATS gamers would like to see the Peterbilt brand expanded in the game, over time.
harishw8r

#7 Post by harishw8r » 18 Jul 2020 02:47

The blackout edition can make a good addition to the game. I guess it comes along with the ultraloft cabin option.

Speaking of which, does Peterbilt (and Kenworth) have painted grills as an option?
Freeze338

#8 Post by Freeze338 » 18 Jul 2020 04:40

If there would be new models released those should be :

Peterbilt 386
Peterbilt 587
Peterbilt 567

Also 579 needs a proper rework tbh. It needs 3rd sleeper cab the ultrloft, it needs interior and exterior rework. If SCS would remake current models with CAD it would be amazing. If not at least dashboard computer of 579 should change.

I know many of you wanna see classic Peterbilts but it's not the right time to have those.

Double Post Merged
Madkine wrote: 18 Jul 2020 00:21 I agree it unlikely that one will come soon, but new ones will come eventually. Just look to ETS2 where new trucks are being added to existing brands.
Comparing ATS and ETS2 is just wrong about truck side. European truck brands has less options as the semi truck while American brands has way models.

SCS making a big mistake about not adding vocational trucks in ETS2. For an example Mercedes Arocs has tractor option so does the DAF CF and etc.

But even with that European brands has 2 models per brand as the semi truck. North American Brands are different tho. Only Kenworth has 6 different semi truck models. So approaching like ETS2 is completely wrong.
Last edited by supersobes on 18 Jul 2020 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post merged [Forum rule 2.5]
Phantom19

#9 Post by Phantom19 » 18 Jul 2020 05:04

Yes!Thank you SCS and supersobes for making this topic,Pete is always my favourite US Truck.
Although there aren't that much dealers and Heavy-Duty Trucks for Peterbilt IRL,I still like them.
Well the only things we need are a Peterbilt Tuning Packs for both the 579 and 389,and that Ultraloft Sleeper you suggested for the 579,a nice cab that can added as a free update to the Peterbilt 579.
Madkine
Global moderator

#10 Post by Madkine » 18 Jul 2020 08:08

@Freeze338 You don't want to follow the ETS2 approach of having more than 2 trucks per brand? Why not?
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Return to “General discussion about the game”