Peterbilt Trucks Discussion Thread

Optional Features

Re: Peterbilt Trucks Discussion Thread

#421 Post by Optional Features » 25 Jun 2022 07:01

Wolfi wrote: 25 Jun 2022 05:56
seriousmods wrote: 24 Jun 2022 20:32 I don't know Euro trucks as well as American trucks, but from what I know, while old, the worst ETS2 trucks are more accurate than the 389 and parts of the W9.

The 389 is just terrible: the old Scanias and such just look dated.
Saying that old ETS2 trucks are better is plain BS and a pure display of ignorance.
The worst truck in ETS2 currently is the old Iveco. It isn't even a truck. It's a mashup of 3 generations of the truck and nothing matches anything. Not to mention interior and it's textures coming out of the 90's.
As for the example of the old Scania, as an author of the presumably most accurate in-game model made to date, I can tell you, there's not a single accurate part on the in-game "Scania".
So next time before you say you "know" something, at least do some basic research. 🙄
Well, if you read what I said, I said I don't know Euro trucks as well lol. And I also have barely played ETS2 in comparison, so that plays a part as well. As far as general appearance, the old Scania looks like a Scania to me. The 389 differs greatly from the real life version: I think the interior and maybe the mirrors could be salvaged. Just about everything else from the bumper to the rear fenders could use some changes, and some parts are just figments of the modeler's imagination (like those "chunks" on the edges of the front steps).

Having never seen a Euro truck in my life, I have no reference on which to base model accuracy, which is why I said I don't know.

I don't think this is a competition, though: whose trucks are the poorest. For a team of professionals, it should be a race to the top, not the bottom.
Tristman

#422 Post by Tristman » 25 Jun 2022 08:46

You've said three times now that you know nothing about Euro trucks. So why bother saying that the old trucks in ETS2 are more accurate than those in ATS when "you have no reference on which to base model accuracy"?
It's clear that you're not the right person to judge this, so your comment doesn't add anything of value to the discussion.
harishw8r

#423 Post by harishw8r » 25 Jun 2022 09:00

seriousmods wrote: 25 Jun 2022 07:01 Well, if you read what I said, I said I don't know Euro trucks as well lol. And I also have barely played ETS2 in comparison, so that plays a part as well.
Exactly, and that’s why you cannot claim something you don’t have a complete idea about, and when someone tries to correct, using the lack of knowledge as a defense isn’t a good thing IMHO. For me, 389 looks like a 389, so can I claim that 389 doesn’t require rework? That’s exactly how your claim sounded to me.

On the other hand, I see your point. ETS2 models might be dimensionally inaccurate and have old textures, but Pete’s exterior has some poor, unrealistic exterior model choices and non-changing fuel tanks in addition to being dimensionally inaccurate.
Optional Features

#424 Post by Optional Features » 25 Jun 2022 09:11

Tristman wrote: 25 Jun 2022 08:46 You've said three times now that you know nothing about Euro trucks. So why bother saying that the old trucks in ETS2 are more accurate than those in ATS when "you have no reference on which to base model accuracy"?
It's clear that you're not the right person to judge this, so your comment doesn't add anything of value to the discussion.
I didn't say I know nothing. I'm not claiming to be an expert on something I have never seen and have no experience with. But I have seen many pictures, and used mods, and I don't see a drastic difference between this:

[ external image ]

and this:

[ external image ]

Do you see it? Can you point it out to me?

Compare that to this:

[ external image ]

vs:

[ external image ]

Bumper rounding starts way too far in
[ external image ]

Missing signal on rear of headlight
[ external image ]

Missing flap and chrome bar at bottom of fender
[ external image ]

Unrealistic hood slope
[ external image ]

Weird rounded fuel tank straps
[ external image ]

Similarly weird breathers (should have been taken from the W9) and rounded breather straps
[ external image ]

Non functional marker lights
[ external image ]

1/3? fenders? Bizarre
[ external image ]

Step boxes that don't exist in the real world
[ external image ]

I have seen 389s, but I don't have to see one to see that something is wrong with this model. Look where the curve on the bumper starts. Where are the front mudflaps? Where are the chrome bars at the bottom of the front fenders? Why are there weird faces joining the step to the main body of the front and rear toolboxes? What are those rear fenders? 1/3 fenders? Why don't the rear lights work? Why does the hood slope like that? Why are the straps on the tanks and breathers rounded? And on and on.

Those are glaring issues that I think even someone who had never seen the truck irl could notice if they were paying attention. I think it takes a more trained eye to spot the issues with the Euro models. Maybe I am wrong.
Last edited by Optional Features on 25 Jun 2022 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
Optional Features

#425 Post by Optional Features » 25 Jun 2022 09:14

werewoooooooolf wrote: 25 Jun 2022 09:00 Exactly, and that’s why you cannot claim something you don’t have a complete idea about, and when someone tries to correct, using the lack of knowledge as a defense isn’t a good thing IMHO. For me, 389 looks like a 389, so can I claim that 389 doesn’t require rework? That’s exactly how your claim sounded to me.

On the other hand, I see your point. ETS2 models might be dimensionally inaccurate and have old textures, but Pete’s exterior has some poor, unrealistic exterior model choices and non-changing fuel tanks in addition to being dimensionally inaccurate.
I never said the ETS2 models don't need rework. My point was that the 389 seems exceptionally bad amongst the models they have created. SCS can rework everything for all I care. If you read my posts, you'll see I'd like to see them rework Northern Cali for a third time to fix the elevation issues that still persist.

There's nothing wrong with fixing up old stuff. And if someone would like to educate me on what is visually wrong with the ETS2 models (in an appropriate thread), I would love to hear it so I can spot them myself!
Wolfi
Beta tester

#426 Post by Wolfi » 25 Jun 2022 11:29

It all boils down to experience. For you Euro trucks look good enough, but every person who ever had any contact with them will be able to point out multitude of issues with almost every single one of them. There's the mashup Iveco I mentioned before, the old Scania wannabes, my personal favorite Renault Premium, on which I spent over 300 hours in Blender fixing and polishing SCS mistakes.
The Magnum comparison you provided... Uhm.. you are aware those are different generations right? It's like comparing 379 and 389...
But as I said, it boils down to experience. You don't see the difference for Euro trucks.
On the other hand the 2 pictures of 389 you provided will look identical to most of the playerbase.
And given the truck was made from pictures, by someone who probably never saw a US truck before, (or any truck for that matter) I'd still say it's surprisingly accurate.
And as I said before, the list of things that are reported on that truck is quite impressively long (interestingly not as long as W900 though). But the truck was made under the wings of a team leader who didn't give a duck about quality, so nothing from the massive report was fixed. And seeing as SCS doesn't revisit old trucks, despite all of my efforts to persuade them to do so, I don't expect anything to change in that matter.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Tristman

#427 Post by Tristman » 25 Jun 2022 11:43

It's honestly the exact same thing as the I-5 discussion. It bothers you because you are familiar with it irl. If you drove the NM-529 regularly, you would probably be posting about that road every day. If you saw DAFs on the road every day, you would be writing an essay about everything wrong with the old DAF in ETS2.
I find it amusing that you are trying to prove your point that the Peterbilt has more flaws while you are posting pics of 2 different generations of Renault Magnum, which obviously have more differences between them.

You're constantly voicing your opinions as if they are facts, and you clearly don't listen to anyone telling you you're wrong, so this comment is probably wasted on you.
Optional Features

#428 Post by Optional Features » 25 Jun 2022 11:59

Wolfi wrote: 25 Jun 2022 11:29 The Magnum comparison you provided... Uhm.. you are aware those are different generations right? It's like comparing 379 and 389...

But as I said, it boils down to experience. You don't see the difference for Euro trucks.

And as I said before, the list of things that are reported on that truck is quite impressively long (interestingly not as long as W900 though).
Yeah, fair enough, and no, I didn't know that truck came in two generations. They look equally boxy to me! 😂

As for the default W9, the biggest issues I have with it are the rear fenders and flap hangers (I wish they were an accessory), the inability to have a blank frame, and the in-dash gps (I prefer full gauge packages).

That model seems far better to me, and I have and will continue to use it in gameplay, albeit with accessories. Some more sleepers would be nice as well.
flight50

#429 Post by flight50 » 25 Jun 2022 14:55

Wolfi wrote: 25 Jun 2022 11:29 But the truck was made under the wings of a team leader who didn't give a duck about quality, so nothing from the massive report was fixed. And seeing as SCS doesn't revisit old trucks, despite all of my efforts to persuade them to do so, I don't expect anything to change in that matter.
You must be referring to Swat, lol. I didn't know he was that bad. I guess its good for us that he moved on. The trucks are not perfect still but its a night and day difference from the first 5. At least for ATS trucks. I don't use ETS2 vanilla trucks when I play ETS2.
parasaurolophus67

#430 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 25 Jun 2022 14:56

So swat is why the tucks are like that? dang .-.

Return to “General discussion about the game”