[REL] Minor Urban Overhaul (12/01/2023)

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
digital31

Re: [REL] Minor Urban Overhaul (11/15/2022)

#741 Post by digital31 » 21 Nov 2022 23:05

LAFAYET47 wrote: 21 Nov 2022 22:22 I have to agree with you guys about the fps drops, it's way too much for my taste, sadly. In my case it's not just in Texas, but in almost every big city of the map. I even had some very bad drops to 20 fps in some particular spots when this never happened before in previous game updates (and of this mod).

I have a GTX 1660 Super and a Ryzen 3 3300X which of course aren´t top notch hardware but they shouldn´t be performing so badly like this. I tried to tweak the traffic_data.sii file (reduced the 10.000-vehicle spawning number to 5000) and this helped a bit with the performance but not so much, sadly.
Yeah it's happening in every major city with an abundance of street lighting...
XesXand

#742 Post by XesXand » 21 Nov 2022 23:23

Could less traffic be solution ?
Do you use any traffic mod with MOU ?
My ETS 2 load order ---> viewtopic.php?t=321147
My ATS load order ---> viewtopic.php?t=319969
Quaristice

#743 Post by Quaristice » 22 Nov 2022 01:32

Don't really have much experience with night-time performance because I always use console commands to set the time to around 8PM-10PM when I'm about to rest so that I always wake up in the early twilight and completely skip nights, avoiding boring pitch-black driving. That's the main reason why I also never bothered fixing the lighting in all the custom Los Angeles models (that and the fact that I've lost all of the original model files somehow).

I won't be nerfing spawn rates because of frame rates in the 30-60 range, that's perfectly playable for me. In fact, I'm experimenting with decreasing the minimum forward spawn distances and reached a point where gaps in urban freeway traffic have pretty much disappeared. The problem is that occasionally you can spot cars spawning out of nowhere and while it doesn't bother me as much as empty stretches of high-capacity freeway during daytime, I'm sure if I ever commit these changes I'll get dozens of complaints about that.

Maybe you can get something similar to the pre-1.46 spawning by limiting max_vehicle_count in traffic_data.sii to 600 or so, I myself prefer the new system and won't be creating and maintaining versions of this mod with differing traffic tweaks.
wcwood92

#744 Post by wcwood92 » 22 Nov 2022 03:58

I'm trying to tweak this to find a balance of FPS and decent traffic density.
Can anyone tell me what the traffic frequency number actually means?
Is it vehicles spawned per second? Or something else like that?
Optional Features

#745 Post by Optional Features » 22 Nov 2022 04:50

Can you explain what your traffic edit does? Seems very interesting: does it have peak rush hour times or just more traffic in general? G_traffic 1 or higher to experience more realistic density?
Quaristice

#746 Post by Quaristice » 22 Nov 2022 06:34

In the def/traffic_data.sii file the following parameters are edited:

"max_vehicle_count" - This is the maximum number of cars allowed to spawn in the game under any circumstance. The vanilla number is 50, I set it to 10000 to basically get rid of the limit, I doubt the game ever comes even close to spawning that amount of vehicles.

"spawn_distance" - There's spawn_distance_min, spawn_distance_forward and spawn_distance_backward. Each represents in meters the minimum distance AI traffic is allowed to spawn from you. Min is for roads that are out of sight, forward is for road nodes in front of you, backward is for road nodes behind you. Small values for the forward value causes traffic to "pop-in" a lot, bigger values for any of them causes the effect of sometimes you ending up alone while there's cars everywhere in the distance.

"ai_speed_coef" - There's ai_speed_coef_preferred, ai_speed_coef_sunlight and ai_speed_coef_wetness. This controls the speed the AI cars go in percentage of the set speed limit. So if you set it as, say, (0.9, 1.2), the traffic speed will vary between 10% under the speed limit to 20% over. I don't know the difference between "preferred" and "sunlight" so I set them as the same, "wetness" is obviously the speed values for the AI under rainy conditions.

Now for the def/world/traffic_data_spawn.sui file, this is the file that controls spawn rules for each type of road:

Every traffic_rule_data has a series of blocks of three parameters, they represent the density of AI spawning for certains hours of the day. So, for example, if you have this:

num_params[]: 5.0 # 5:00
num_params[]: 0.05 # frequency
num_params[]: 15 # count limit

num_params[]: 7.0 # 7:00
num_params[]: 0.2 # frequency
num_params[]: 300 # count limit

num_params[]: 17.0 # 17:00

num_params[]: 0.0 # 00:00

The first parameter is the hour of the day for the other two parameters.
The second parameter is the spawn density value, think of it as equivalent to using the g_traffic console command.
The third parameter is the maximum number of vehicles allowed to spawn in this type of road at the following hour.

What the games does this is that at 5AM the spawn frequency will be set to 0.05. Gradually, the spawn frequency will increase with time until it reaches 0.2 at 7AM. Then, it will stay at 0.2 until 5PM, when it will gradually decrease to 0.05 until it's midnight, and after that stay at 0.05 until 5AM, continuing the cycle. The same will also be applied to the car count limit, which takes priority over the 10000 limit set on the other file.

Spawn density definitions that are the most important are:

"Spawn density car low" - AI spawn settings for small roads outside of any traffic area that changes spawn settings. Ranges between 0.03 and 0.02 spawn density depending on time. Should spawn 0-3 cars on the way you're going and make an oncoming car pass by every 10 seconds or so.

"Spawn density car high" - AI spawn settings for bigger roads outside of any traffic area that changes spawn settings (basically anything wider than a two lane road). Should spawn 2-10 cars on the way you're going and occasionally have a few cars passing by on the oncoming lanes.

"Spawn density car urban" - AI spawn settings for roads inside a "City" traffic area. I use these areas for regions surrounding large towns and cities, including highways near or in them. Large cities have these areas in urban roads inside of the city, but not in their highways. With a density setting of 2.0 from 6AM to 8PM, decreasing to 0.2 from midnight to 5AM, this usually spawns 20 cars or so on the way you're going and small bursts of traffic on the oncoming lanes. While stoplights can handle this amount of traffic well, some crossings with only stop signs that end up inside of city traffic areas can become very congested and even impossible to cross without resetting traffic, I try to tweak those when I find them.

"Spawn density car urban high density" - AI spawn settings for roads inside a "Large City" traffic area. With an extreme spawn frequency setting of 400.0 during daytime hours and ranging between 0.5 and 0.2 in the late nights, these are the settings reserved for controlled-access highways inside major metropolitan areas, these are the ones that are shown in the map in the OP. Highways cutting through large cities and heavily-trafficked corridors like Los Angeles - San Diego, Phoenix - Tucson, Provo - SLC - Ogden, most of the Texas Triangle, etc, are inside of these traffic areas. These settings aim to continuously spawn cars on said road stretches and will immediately gridlock any local road that ends up inside said area, which is why I have to edit them all manually in the map editor to cover only highways.

A small note that these settings are for car spawns. Truck spawns have their own settings, which are set much lower than car spawns, especially in the city traffic areas as truck spawns should be way more common in rural areas than in urban areas.
yellowboy06

#747 Post by yellowboy06 » 22 Nov 2022 08:18

Quaristice wrote: 22 Nov 2022 06:34 In the def/traffic_data.sii file the following parameters are edited:

"max_vehicle_count" - This is the maximum number of cars allowed to spawn in the game under any circumstance. The vanilla number is 50, I set it to 10000 to basically get rid of the limit, I doubt the game ever comes even close to spawning that amount of vehicles.

"spawn_distance" - There's spawn_distance_min, spawn_distance_forward and spawn_distance_backward. Each represents in meters the minimum distance AI traffic is allowed to spawn from you. Min is for roads that are out of sight, forward is for road nodes in front of you, backward is for road nodes behind you. Small values for the forward value causes traffic to "pop-in" a lot, bigger values for any of them causes the effect of sometimes you ending up alone while there's cars everywhere in the distance.

"ai_speed_coef" - There's ai_speed_coef_preferred, ai_speed_coef_sunlight and ai_speed_coef_wetness. This controls the speed the AI cars go in percentage of the set speed limit. So if you set it as, say, (0.9, 1.2), the traffic speed will vary between 10% under the speed limit to 20% over. I don't know the difference between "preferred" and "sunlight" so I set them as the same, "wetness" is obviously the speed values for the AI under rainy conditions.

Now for the def/world/traffic_data_spawn.sui file, this is the file that controls spawn rules for each type of road:

Every traffic_rule_data has a series of blocks of three parameters, they represent the density of AI spawning for certains hours of the day. So, for example, if you have this:

num_params[]: 5.0 # 5:00

num_params[]: 7.0 # 7:00

num_params[]: 17.0 # 17:00

num_params[]: 0.0 # 00:00

The first parameter is the hour of the day for the other two parameters.
The second parameter is the spawn density value, think of it as equivalent to using the g_traffic console command.
The third parameter is the maximum number of vehicles allowed to spawn in this type of road at the following hour.

What the games does this is that at 5AM the spawn frequency will be set to 0.05. Gradually, the spawn frequency will increase with time until it reaches 0.2 at 7AM. Then, it will stay at 0.2 until 5PM, when it will gradually decrease to 0.05 until it's midnight, and after that stay at 0.05 until 5AM, continuing the cycle. The same will also be applied to the car count limit, which takes priority over the 10000 limit set on the other file.

Spawn density definitions that are the most important are:

"Spawn density car low" - AI spawn settings for small roads outside of any traffic area that changes spawn settings. Ranges between 0.03 and 0.02 spawn density depending on time. Should spawn 0-3 cars on the way you're going and make an oncoming car pass by every 10 seconds or so.

"Spawn density car high" - AI spawn settings for bigger roads outside of any traffic area that changes spawn settings (basically anything wider than a two lane road). Should spawn 2-10 cars on the way you're going and occasionally have a few cars passing by on the oncoming lanes.

"Spawn density car urban" - AI spawn settings for roads inside a "City" traffic area. I use these areas for regions surrounding large towns and cities, including highways near or in them. Large cities have these areas in urban roads inside of the city, but not in their highways. With a density setting of 2.0 from 6AM to 8PM, decreasing to 0.2 from midnight to 5AM, this usually spawns 20 cars or so on the way you're going and small bursts of traffic on the oncoming lanes. While stoplights can handle this amount of traffic well, some crossings with only stop signs that end up inside of city traffic areas can become very congested and even impossible to cross without resetting traffic, I try to tweak those when I find them.

"Spawn density car urban high density" - AI spawn settings for roads inside a "Large City" traffic area. With an extreme spawn frequency setting of 400.0 during daytime hours and ranging between 0.5 and 0.2 in the late nights, these are the settings reserved for controlled-access highways inside major metropolitan areas, these are the ones that are shown in the map in the OP. Highways cutting through large cities and heavily-trafficked corridors like Los Angeles - San Diego, Phoenix - Tucson, Provo - SLC - Ogden, most of the Texas Triangle, etc, are inside of these traffic areas. These settings aim to continuously spawn cars on said road stretches and will immediately gridlock any local road that ends up inside said area, which is why I have to edit them all manually in the map editor to cover only highways.

A small note that these settings are for car spawns. Truck spawns have their own settings, which are set much lower than car spawns, especially in the city traffic areas as truck spawns should be way more common in rural areas than in urban areas.
love the mod unfortunatley i think it cause fps lag in certain areas loading so much traffic. can you make a solution to this?
KubaLinBunio

#748 Post by KubaLinBunio » 22 Nov 2022 10:01

LAFAYET47 wrote: 21 Nov 2022 22:22 I have to agree with you guys about the fps drops, it's way too much for my taste, sadly. In my case it's not just in Texas, but in almost every big city of the map. I even had some very bad drops to 20 fps in some particular spots when this never happened before in previous game updates (and of this mod).

I have a GTX 1660 Super and a Ryzen 3 3300X which of course aren´t top notch hardware but they shouldn´t be performing so badly like this. I tried to tweak the traffic_data.sii file (reduced the 10.000-vehicle spawning number to 5000) and this helped a bit with the performance but not so much, sadly.
Luckily I have a Dell Optiplex All-in-One with NVIDIA GTX 1650 Ti and Intel® UHD Graphics 630 at home, which was privately purchased this year. On it my gameplay very well and super speeds without a problem thanks to my just mentioned NVIDIA graphics card. I can also add if you will be interested in the fact that it has an Intel® Core i5-10505™ CPU @ 3.20GHz. I do not regret the purchase of this computer equipment. I have not yet tried the entering of Texas in the current version, because I am waiting for farther updates of mods and ATS Reforma.
My current laptop specifications

Video Cards: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design and Intel® HD Graphics 630
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 16 GB
befsztyk

#749 Post by befsztyk » 22 Nov 2022 10:40

One issue that I have is (not much) lower fps at night at big interchanges with huge traffic with a lot of night lighting. I reduced scaling from 400% to 300% and problem is solved I thing. I think that could be issue caused some other AI traffic mods. At daytime even on huge interchanges and interstates in big cities with scaling 400% I had no problem with fps, everything was very smooth. I have 16GB, IntelCore i5-7600, GeForce GTX 1060.

Edit: Sorry, not reduced scaling was the solution but changed SSAO from high to medium.
Quaristice

#750 Post by Quaristice » 23 Nov 2022 07:03

I did have framerate issues which were solved by lowering the SSAO to low (from high), but those FPS issues started for me with whatever game update brought SSAO into the game, not 1.46

Return to “Maps”