Volvo VNR
42%
Volvo VNX
58%

Total votes: 107

flight50

Re: Volvo Trucks Discussion Thread

#381 Post by flight50 » 26 May 2023 16:22

Conventionals have more parts and pieces to make physics work right so its a bit more complex than Euro trucks for sure. Considering how quickly the modelers put the truck together compared to other ATS trucks, either the VNL has easier specs to model or the extra work was not an issue at all to delay things. SCS could have also just landed on a very very talented modeler as that knows how to incorporate suspension. Its bee quested for years and is just now coming. Better late than never but either way good stuff.

I wonder if there will be a lot of settings for suspension coming in the options to fine tune things even more than whats there now. I suppose the height adjustment that came not to long ago was a hint at suspension. If SCS can get suspension to account for ride height, we'd be cooking with some serious grease here. I honestly thought suspension physics would be one of the last things on a truck that comes.
MirM

#382 Post by MirM » 26 May 2023 16:52

@SerPounce

The mod you edited is not mine. I haven't submitted any of my mods to the Steam Workshop.
The GPS screen indicates that your mod is different.

---
Sorry, I'm using a translator.
SerPounce

#383 Post by SerPounce » 26 May 2023 17:03

MirM wrote: 26 May 2023 16:52 @SerPounce

The mod you edited is not mine. I haven't submitted any of my mods to the Steam Workshop.
The GPS screen indicates that your mod is different.

---
Sorry, I'm using a translator.
Okay thanks for clarifying!
TheTiger

#384 Post by TheTiger » 26 May 2023 17:03

Wolfi wrote: 26 May 2023 15:13 And as suspension physics go, the ATS VNL has a lot more advanced cab suspension logic than any ETS2 truck, though the suspension simulation is still built around existing solution, so it's obviously not perfect, yet. SCS devs received a lot of feedback regarding proper suspension behavior during our closed testing ad multiple reports are sitting in internal system, pointing out possible issues and solutions. So hopefully in not-so-far future we will see some additional improvements to the system.
What do you mean by "a lot more advanced" than any ETS2 truck? To me it looks the same like the ones from ETS2 but the only difference is made by springs.

As far as I understand, Volvo VNL cabin is connected to the chassis by 3 springs, and we know that in ETS2 by 4 (since cabin is a square). Other than this, I can't spot any difference. 🤔

I'm really curious what they have under the hood for "additional improvements to the system", since to me, it's pretty obvious that the wheels needs a complete overhaul.
xXCARL1992Xx

#385 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 26 May 2023 17:06

US cabs are mounted at the front to the chassis with 2 hinges (i think), the back is on 2 air bags like on european trucks, and not 4 air bags (or springs if you order them like this) and the whole simulation looks way better, the cabs in ETS2 "glide" when you brake, they shoudnt move an inch forward but tilt
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
TheTiger

#386 Post by TheTiger » 26 May 2023 17:52

Yeah I know that, but I was referring strictly to the game. How can they create a lot more advanced system since nothing was changed. I'm pretty sure that is the same system as ETS and the only difference is the 3 points cabin simulation instead of 4.

Maybe they did 1 point in front of the cabin, and 2 points behind and it's normal to behave differently.

Regarding ETS2, I know that cabs glide instead of tilt :lol: but I'm hoping that will be improved in future.

points = springs, hinges, air bags or whatever.
xXCARL1992Xx

#387 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 26 May 2023 17:55

its 2 front and 2 back, there is no 3 point, the whole system of it will never be visible to the player because it is simulation done in the background and only SCS will see what it does with the uncompiled code, that bit of changing on the models is nothing in regards to the simulation of it, took me about 10 minutes to make my LT work with it

what i wish though is that they change it so we can define where the points are in blender with locators like susp_point_1 or something, in ETS2 now all use the TGX positions, might work good on the TGX but not on the others and in ATS it now will be most likely all based on the VNL
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
TheTiger

#388 Post by TheTiger » 26 May 2023 18:05

I see. I don't know where I've saw or heard that 3 points cabin suspension but I think I was dreaming cuz I'm not able to find that detail anymore. LOL.
Max
SCS Software

#389 Post by Max » 26 May 2023 21:38

it is different on simulation level. basically, EU trucks have 4 air bags while US trucks have hinge in front and 2 air bags on back. hinge have completely different limitations of movement than regular joint, which makes the difference - together with different cabin length. modding wikki was updated today, so you can experiment with both suspension types on the very same truck to see how it works.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.

Return to “General discussion about the game”