Why is ATS/ETS2 so badly optimized.

CodArk2

Re: Why is ATS/ETS2 so badly optimized.

#21 Post by CodArk2 » 19 Sep 2020 03:43

Mac OS is not well optimized, but hats par for the course for Mac games. Most devs use openGL which is much slower than more bare metal graphics APIs, like Metal or Vulkan. I see people complaining about getting less than 60 fps on high or ultra, but that's what my FPS is like on Low graphics settings. running on high or ultra goes between 10 and 20 FPS with occasional peaks of close to 30 FPS. Not quite slideshow but pretty noticeable in some situations. My specs are 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 560 4 GB but unless they are running on Metal or MoltenVK or are old they won't run at a great FPS.

That said, ATS/ETS2 are not the worst in terms of optimization. and they have hinted at DX12 and Vulkan in a previous stream, so hopefully that will allow for better performance. DX11 was a big help for windows, but DX12 and Vulkan/Metal on linux/Mac will help a good deal more. They will have dealt with their graphical API technical debt and will be able to bring a lot of new graphical features without wondering 'will this work in the next jump?". DX11 was the start of that process, but not the end. But patience is required.
Max
SCS Software

#22 Post by Max » 19 Sep 2020 06:42

linux does not have that much issues. its opengl works well and up to its specifications.
issue with mac is they just changed their main render pipeline and stopped support opengl. from that point lot of opengl things is just gradually failing. all engines not able to instantly switch to dx12-class api are lost in same way.

but we believe if will be better once that hell amount of work linked with changing api will be done.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
jarryed

#23 Post by jarryed » 19 Sep 2020 11:27

Grizzly wrote: 19 Sep 2020 02:18 It makes a huge different how many pixels you're pushing
The most popular gaming resolution is 1920x1080 according to Steam Hardware survey. This should be the resolution that SCS focuses on. My post about shimmering/flickering/jagged edges happens on a 27 inch panel running at 1920x1080.

65.55% of all Steam users are using a monitor at this resolution. That number drops off dramatically to 6.59% for 2560x1440. Less than 2.5% of players are using a 4k monitor.

I will repeat that it is not my responsibility to go out and buy a 2k, or even 4k monitor to make this game look good. I also should not need to use DSR factors on my 1080p panel to make it look good. And I definitely should not be using the NPI tweaks at roextended.

This is a problem that SCS needs to fix and it should be fixed sooner rather than later.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
plykkegaard

#24 Post by plykkegaard » 19 Sep 2020 12:09

Sorry, but you are a funny guy

Your computer, your responsibility
Whether you want to take advantage of your hardware it is up to you not SCS

DSR can be applied to any game you play
It will give you 4K experience on a HD screen
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/dynamic-super-resolution-instantly-improves-your-games-with-4k-quality-graphics/ wrote: Dynamic Super Resolution Improves Your Games With 4K-Quality Graphics On HD Monitors
Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) will have largest impact, enhancing any game that supports resolutions above 1920x1080. What does DSR do? Simply put, it renders a game at a higher, more detailed resolution and intelligently shrinks the result back down to the resolution of your monitor, giving you 4K, 3840x2160-quality graphics on any screen.

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
jarryed

#25 Post by jarryed » 19 Sep 2020 12:19

Please reread my post.

I repeat......I SHOULD NOT have to use DSR scaling to get a good picture is the argument that I am making. Most people have no clue on how to set DSR up.

SCS should fix this for everyone making it their responsibility to fix. There is jagged edges, shimmering, flickering all over the place.

SCS needs to FIX THEIR AA since they DON'T HAVE ANY! SMAA is absolute trash!!!
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
plykkegaard

#26 Post by plykkegaard » 19 Sep 2020 12:26

As I said whether you want to get 4K resolultion on your existing 1920x1080 HD screen is up to you
You do not need to buy additional hardware

Please read the article I have linked to it'll explain it all

[EDIT]
jarryed wrote: 19 Sep 2020 12:19 Most people have no clue on how to set DSR up.
Start a program and tick a few boxes, shouldn't be difficult
Easier than installing a mod and check it for validity
Last edited by plykkegaard on 19 Sep 2020 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
jarryed

#27 Post by jarryed » 19 Sep 2020 12:30

You are not understanding that most users do not have any idea on how to use DSR scaling.

You can post that all over the net and most people are not going to care.

SCS needs to fix their game for the most popular gaming resolution and SHOULD NOT require players to jump through hoops to fix their game.

You want to run DSR to fix the game go right ahead. But again I state that your average user is going to have absolutely no idea on how to do this and they are not going to. They will want a game they can run that looks good without having to jump through hoops to do it.

I can't make this point any clearer to make.
plykkegaard

#28 Post by plykkegaard » 19 Sep 2020 12:34

jarryed wrote: 19 Sep 2020 12:30 ... most users do not have any idea
You are probably right, having delt with computers for more than 35 years ... it tends to be easier over the years :)

jarryed

#29 Post by jarryed » 19 Sep 2020 12:39

I can run DSR on my system and have used it previously. Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB 3200MHz RAM, and a RTX 2070.

I can understand the point you were trying to make with DSR factors.

At the end of the day the majority of the ETS2/ATS player bases are not the high end connoisseur of hardware and just want something that simply works.
xXCARL1992Xx

#30 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 19 Sep 2020 12:43

also at the end of the day most of the ETS/ATS player base dont really care about the flickering and just want to play a game, same goes to mods, just a fraction uses them, it is only the tech savvy ones who start to complain not the common user who just knows how to turn on a PC and start a game
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”