Why is ATS/ETS2 so badly optimized.

Jatruck

Re: Why is ATS/ETS2 so badly optimized.

#41 Post by Jatruck » 19 Sep 2020 16:51

What it's needed to be fixed is AA in general. I think all of people wants this ;)

There are lot of complains about it ;)
SirVirgoTheMess

#42 Post by SirVirgoTheMess » 19 Sep 2020 17:00

I think i have an idea.I don't know if that's possible,but if it is,i think two AA options would be good.If that's possible,i think MSAA would be an option for those who can run and/or want to have better AA.But for those who can't run MSAA,or for some reason,think SMAA does a good job...i think that option can stay.

So,my idea is(again if possible),to add MSAA and also keep SMAA as an option for those who think it's the better thing.

That might be impossible,but at least i wanted to share my idea.
plykkegaard

#43 Post by plykkegaard » 19 Sep 2020 17:12

DSR does wonders if you have a nvidia card
I am experimenting atm, but at least it is better than before

I had a reasonable game experience with an elder HD7970 but it was failing with a massive amount artifacts, the first 10 minutes it was fine, the then artificats came and finally a CTD
It is replaced with a GTX 970 but the image turned harsh and grainy with a lot if shimmering
DSR seems to help on this issue

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
jarryed

#44 Post by jarryed » 19 Sep 2020 18:40

Virgo91 wrote: 19 Sep 2020 17:00 So,my idea is(again if possible),to add MSAA and also keep SMAA as an option for those who think it's the better thing.
Please no. These two types of AA just blur the edges. Done as post processing and doesn't take up a lot of power. If SCS wants to fix the AA, which is the biggest complaint that I see they should give us TAA. It will fix the flickering, shimmering, and jagged edges. This would be the biggest help in cities where there is lots of concrete. SLC, Boise, and more.

TAA should be used as it is temporal anti aliasing which is best used for motion.

Here is a nice article to explain the differences: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/graphics- ... a-vs-msaa/

I especially like this from the article: "The latest and most popular form of AA is temporal anti-aliasing. TAA focuses on removing temporal aliasing or shimmering. It’s most evident in motion."

Most evident in motion, which is exactly what ETS2 and ATS is.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
Grizzly

#45 Post by Grizzly » 20 Sep 2020 01:04

Max wrote: 19 Sep 2020 06:42 linux does not have that much issues. its opengl works well and up to its specifications.
Yeah they've done a great job actually, looking at other people's screenshots and videos and reports of performance I don't think we're missing much at all. I can also run it under dx11 proton and can't really tell the difference.
Crocko From Oz

#46 Post by Crocko From Oz » 20 Sep 2020 02:03

For those wanting to help fix the power-lines and to a lesser extent the fencing, ENABLE Antialiasing - Line gamma in NVidia Profile Inspector (setting is not available in NVidia Control Panel).

You can either enable it in the Global Profile (which will enable this feature in ALL games, programs) or just enable it in the Game Profile.

Just another little tip - in NVidia Control Panel open the Display => Change Resolution panel and scroll down to 3. Apply the following settings. Check the Use NVIDIA colour settings and change the Output dynamic range to FULL. You'll be amazed in the difference in colour ;)

NOTE: Both settings only for NVidia cards. I have no idea if AMD has any similar settings.

EDIT: Added photo

[ external image ]
Last edited by Crocko From Oz on 20 Sep 2020 04:41, edited 2 times in total.
MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus - Intel i7-11700KF - MSI MEG CORELIQUID S280 AIO
MSI RTX 3070 Gaming Z Trio 8GB - Samsung LC32G7xT
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz - 5 x Samsung SSD - 9GB total
MSI A750GF 750W - LIAN LI LANCOOL 215 X
Oldspice

#47 Post by Oldspice » 20 Sep 2020 02:15

jarryed wrote: 19 Sep 2020 12:19 Please reread my post.

I repeat......I SHOULD NOT have to use DSR scaling to get a good picture is the argument that I am making. Most people have no clue on how to set DSR up.

SCS should fix this for everyone making it their responsibility to fix. There is jagged edges, shimmering, flickering all over the place.

SCS needs to FIX THEIR AA since they DON'T HAVE ANY! SMAA is absolute trash!!!
Thankyou jarreyd you summed it up what is was trying to explain myself, im no pc expert and just want to enjoy without the graphics
problems. shimmer,lag, filcker, fps rubberband etc is just not good enough.

jarryed wrote: 19 Sep 2020 12:30 You are not understanding that most users do not have any idea on how to use DSR scaling.

You can post that all over the net and most people are not going to care.

SCS needs to fix their game for the most popular gaming resolution and SHOULD NOT require players to jump through hoops to fix their game.

You want to run DSR to fix the game go right ahead. But again I state that your average user is going to have absolutely no idea on how to do this and they are not going to. They will want a game they can run that looks good without having to jump through hoops to do it.

I can't make this point any clearer to make.
Exactly well said mate, thank you
Last edited by supersobes on 20 Sep 2020 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post merged [Forum rule 2.5]
B-Double Truck Driver Australia 30+ Years
Current Truck 2006 IVECO POWERSTAR 6x4 550HP CURSOR13 90K TON RATED
cip

#48 Post by cip » 20 Sep 2020 09:44

Crocko From Oz wrote: 20 Sep 2020 02:03 ENABLE Antialiasing - Line gamma in NVidia Profile Inspector
perhaps this is why my game looks great while others complain about flickering, because I have also kept my Nvidia inspector although the AA no longer works in Dx11. I understand people hating the flickering ang jaggies because I hated them too when I had them. I was the biggest fan of Nvidia Inspector and its MSAA + SGSS that gave me the best possible quality although it was very demanding.

all this time I tried several times to give up to the Nvidia inspector because my GPU was in pain suffering and at 81°C while my game had often stuttering and sometimes even total freezing for a few good seconds. but the flickering at every edge even at 400% scaling had sent me back to Nvidia inspector every time.

with Dx11 the miracle happened, I kept the inspector for those settings that do not exist in Nvidia control panel and at 400% scaling (1080p screen) and medium-high graphic settings, the game was totally better than I remember from all my past attempts. therefore yes in Dx9 the game was awful without the external AA but Dx11 is totally different, my game is 95% at the same quality as with MSAA+SGSS and in the latest map DLC with improved cables technique I have absolutely great quality but with much less pressure to my GPU even at 400% scaling.

on a different subject, I also believe that any modern game should be "good to go" with basic settings. It should look acceptable for playing at the default settings (100% scaling) in a normal 1080 screen which unfortunately do not happen with ETS2. however considering the age of ETS2 I am fine with how the game looks at high settings and with the help from the external GPU settings
Enjoy driving with my Real Traffic Density for ETS2 and ATS
Enjoy listening my Real Ai Traffic FMOD Sounds for ETS2 and ATS
I have quit SCS forum...
plykkegaard

#49 Post by plykkegaard » 20 Sep 2020 10:46

Considering the husge span of hardware configurations Prism3D supports I belive the game is doing pretty fine
Which game supports laptops with onboard intel graphics up to huge 4 screen configurations over 4K resolution but also VR?

Instead of the complaints do something about it
SCS is not able to handle the huge amount of different requirements in the game
Not enough traffic? Create a mod
No RL signage? Create a mod
Dislike the paint jobs? Create a mod
Issue with the graphics? Use the tools your hardware manufacturer gives you for free

You have only but one risk: You might learn something in the process
I'ts a give away :D

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
jarryed

#50 Post by jarryed » 20 Sep 2020 11:50

cip wrote: 20 Sep 2020 09:44 perhaps this is why my game looks great while others complain about flickering, because I have also kept my Nvidia inspector although the AA no longer works in Dx11.
AA actually does work with NPI. The kind people over at roextended got it figured out. Nothing however for SSAO when using NPI.

https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1000
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."

Return to “General discussion about the game”