Oklahoma Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Oklahoma Discussion Thread

#291 Post by flight50 » 09 Aug 2022 13:21

An upgrade to the particle system helps complement weather anupgrade. We'll need debris tossed around in the air and the ground. That would be best as random events.
BASSLovah

#292 Post by BASSLovah » 09 Aug 2022 14:06

oldmanclippy wrote: 09 Aug 2022 12:54 Wind would be a good start. Wyoming was the missed opportunity for wind to make it in the game. Great Plains is the next good opportunity. It'll be awkward if we get to Illinois and SCS tries to dance around calling Chicago "The Windy City" in marketing materials because they can't back it up with gameplay.
Same with Zaragoza in Iberia DLC. The wind around that region is crazy, starting at 10-20km/h and up to 157km/h in 2018 and it should've been represented in-game.
Carfreak200

#293 Post by Carfreak200 » 09 Aug 2022 14:15

I personally don't think tornados are frequent enough to warrant being added to the game. However, I do believe an overall weather upgrade would be perfect to bring somewhere within the Great Planes.

Also @flight50, I understand where you are coming from regarding the timeline. And I think you would be correct if Davido's team did move to Texas for the final push. I'm gonna stay on the side of optimism tho and hope that Davido and his team of ten are laying out OK as we speak!
Best Free ATS Mods viewtopic.php?t=317006

Life's too Short to Drive Boring Trucks

Current Garage:
  • Rezbilt 389 (Allen Rezbilt)
  • Freightliner Classic XL (BSA)
  • Peterbilt 379X (Chief86)
flight50

#294 Post by flight50 » 09 Aug 2022 15:08

Nothing wrong with optimism. I'm just warning for disappointment. I see it a lot when map dlc's don't release when people speculate it. People tend to get mad at SCS when they never said anything.
Sara

#295 Post by Sara » 09 Aug 2022 16:01

oldmanclippy wrote: 09 Aug 2022 12:54 Wind would be a good start. Wyoming was the missed opportunity for wind to make it in the game. Great Plains is the next good opportunity. It'll be awkward if we get to Illinois and SCS tries to dance around calling Chicago "The Windy City" in marketing materials because they can't back it up with gameplay.
Having wind would've been good from the start of the game.
Carfreak200 wrote: 09 Aug 2022 14:15 I personally don't think tornados are frequent enough to warrant being added to the game.
Well, technically, yes and no on the tornados part. According to the NSSL, around 1200 tornados touch down in the United States alone on average every year. Some don't do any damage, some can rip through farms, and some can destroy entire communities. And Tornado season usually happens during the summer period in the US. But honestly, I think one thing that may be better first before tornados is seasons.
flight50

#296 Post by flight50 » 09 Aug 2022 16:21

Yeah tornadoes are actually quite frequent. Not all are the big ones that we hear about on TV/new is the thing. They happen outside of Tornado Alley as well. A tornado can happen at any point of the year. All its needs is a warm and a cold front. This happens mostly when weather isn't consistent yet and temperature fluctuate. South Tornado Alley as in Texas is Spring and Fall. Further North Tornado alley, I can't say because I don't live in that region.
oldmanclippy

#297 Post by oldmanclippy » 09 Aug 2022 16:27

Up here tornadoes are generally more common in June and July, with May and August being the next most likely times.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Sara

#298 Post by Sara » 09 Aug 2022 16:29

Anyways, yeah, if tornado were to happen, weather would need to change, wind needs to be added, and we would need seasons too.
flight50

#299 Post by flight50 » 09 Aug 2022 16:40

oldmanclippy wrote: 09 Aug 2022 16:27 Up here tornadoes are generally more common in June and July, with May and August being the next most likely times.
Makes sense because its colder there longer. Summer/Spring happens as early as March here. By May, its hot as heck out and the weather is stable. Its starts cooling off here mid October and that is the next weather fluctuation.

One thing I keep advocating for Tornado Alley right now that can happen is severe thunderstorms. We don't need seasons for that. But much heavier rain could be added to ATS. Severe rain in ATS to me would be 3-5x heavier than it is now. Heavy rain right now isn't that heavy to me. Severe rain comes down so fast that your windshield is almost worthless as its a big blur of water. People literally have to pull over sometimes to let it pass. You'll see a lot of people sometimes under bridges/overpasses or huddled up under gas station canopies. Some drive like 10-15mph with flashers on. It would be cool to see ATS implement at least this magnitude. Sometimes hail is present if its cold enough in the upper atmosphere.
Bedavd

#300 Post by Bedavd » 09 Aug 2022 16:44

Wind pushing the truck around in big gusts would be great. Wyoming has the signs and I know from the time I lived there that I-196 near Grand Rapids gets some truck rollovers because of the high winds coming off Lake Michigan. I'm not sure I need tornadoes but heavy wind and reallllllly heavy rain that makes you feel like you need to pull over would be great! Along with the rain frequency slider.

Or, they could even update the entire weather system with a forecast that will tell you the weather over the next week or so. Based on how I understand rain/skyboxes to be handled now, this would take a complete overhaul. But how cool would it be to check the weather in your destination and see a wind advisory or severe weather alert. But I'm getting into wishlist thread stuff now lol.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.

Return to “General discussion about the game”