Oklahoma Discussion Thread

eonellivlem

Re: Oklahoma Discussion Thread

#1601 Post by eonellivlem » 16 May 2023 12:31

oldmanclippy wrote: 15 May 2023 15:33 Yeah I'm getting fed up with the flavor text that sounds cooler than the game this isn't a tabletop RPG lol. Unless of course 1.48 is adding these features, which is possible.
They've been doing this for a long time now, so nothing is being worked on and no improvements are coming.
The first time this "flavour text" stood out to me were the bullet points for the Wyoming DLC.
"See wildlife unique to Wyoming including bison". What does this actually mean in-game. You drive along specific roads and you will see static models of an animal, In the same place every time. You might get lucky and see clunky animated deer cross a road at a specific time and place but none of it is random, it's all scripted. And how much wildlife is represented, about 2 animals, deer and bison. It's just fluff to make buyers think there getting more than they really are.
flight50

#1602 Post by flight50 » 16 May 2023 12:34

No telling what that blog meant. We've been misguided before. One of the Oklahoma blogs even mentioned processing but no sign of it with the 2 industry blogs we had. Is it getting pushed to Kansas like live stock being blogged for Colorado but came with Wyoming?

The Oklahoma weather image on WoT would be the most misleading though. Without a weather update to match, many people are going to be upset at being lead on. Yesssss it's just an image, but its the presentation as if this is what Oklahoma will bring is where the harm comes from. Hopefully SCS is being quite about anything beyond map progress for a reason.
oldmanclippy

#1603 Post by oldmanclippy » 16 May 2023 14:05

Yeah the issue I have with the DLC cover is that while stunning, it could end up being very misleading if there's no weather update specifically because Oklahoma is so well known for its stormy weather, so it would be a reasonable expectation for a consumer to make that because SCS is advertising the bad weather as the central public image of the DLC, then the weather in game will receive an improvement to live up to Oklahoma's reputation, because no weather in the game currently comes close to feeling like a storm.

Imagine if SCS puts the Northern Lights on the DLC cover for Northern Scandinavia. Then people get the DLC and don't see any northern lights because the game takes place on June 21. Or if they make the DLC cover for Illinois include rush hour traffic, and if that feature doesn't exist in the game by that point. That's how I see the Oklahoma cover.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Tristman

#1604 Post by Tristman » 16 May 2023 14:17

velles wrote: 16 May 2023 12:08
oldmanclippy wrote: 15 May 2023 15:33 Yeah I'm getting fed up with the flavor text that sounds cooler than the game this isn't a tabletop RPG lol. Unless of course 1.48 is adding these features, which is possible.
I hope this text means that Oklahoma will bring a weight station rework and isn't just a misleading flavor.
I wouldn't hope for it. Usually when they add new mechanics or expand on existing ones, they dedicate a blog to it.
While this blog did talk about it, the main purpose was to show off Oklahoma.
oldmanclippy

#1605 Post by oldmanclippy » 16 May 2023 14:48

Even their Twitter post that links to the blog is weirdly specific:
SCS Twitter wrote:There's no better feeling than hitting the road and traveling to a U.S. State you've never been to 🛣️🚛

However, each state has its own regulations and laws and Oklahoma with its Ports of Entry & Weigh Stations is no exception 🇺🇸🙌
I really really hope that we will have to care about Oklahoma's specific regulations and laws. Trailer configurations are currently the only things that matter outside of California.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
flight50

#1606 Post by flight50 » 16 May 2023 16:09

I'm not too optimistic about new coming with Oklahoma outside of maps and ICCs. We'd need a 1.48 engine update blog if Oklahoma has any chance to add something new feature wise. If they tried adding something now before the engine update, something has to go away. There probably is no room to add something new + have the current game as is. Oklahoma continues the trend for ICCs thankfully. On the Montana release stream Pavel did say they will focus on cargo and features. I take cargo as ICC's though and Oklahoma industry blogs are appealing. I was worried at first about Oklahoma but the first industry blog eased my thoughts and we are getting some pretty decent things.

We don't know what the road network will look like yet for Oklahoma but it should be on par with Washington at least. That's a good thing as that should bring density. A return to $11.99 states will help but what would really help Oklahoma is if the blogs back up their statements and if the that animated weather display for Oklahoma came true. I think a lot more people will be satisfied with Oklahoma. The weather updates for the entire game though if Oklahoma gets it. It benefits Texas as well because we get pretty nasty storms down here too. The entire Tornado Alley region will benefit if what we see for the Oklahoma cover comes true. It would be the highlight of Oklahoma's release by far.
SuchManor

#1607 Post by SuchManor » 16 May 2023 16:51

They’ve been using flavor text for a while now, especially since they release the same blog subjects over and over, they can only make it so interesting. As with everything for SCS, keep your expectations extremely low.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
flight50

#1608 Post by flight50 » 16 May 2023 19:28

Nah, I can't hold low expectations. Let that be known and people can't accumulate common thoughts. The most wanted things is what gets noticed. The Oklahoma graphic for weather is a perfect example. Many have expressed they want that. Many have expressed it will be disappointing if Oklahoma doesn't get that weather on the cover. Many say the blog is misleading. All this is feedback though. SCS is reading this. Keep expectations low and we can't get mad when we don't get it. So if Oklahoma doesn't match its cover..............provide feedback. That is the fastest way to get change. Not every request for change will come either but you never know which ones make it.

If Oklahoma doesn't get the weather update:
I) I won't be upset. A little disappointed but I'll live
2) there's always the next release and the next.....
3) I'll do my share and keep voicing my opinion for the update

Weather could be engine update dependent as well, we don't know. So from now til the time Oklahoma releases, we have no idea what comes. But if I keep low expectations, I might as well stop coming here to comment. Despite how many times I advocate for something, some people see me push back on (1) thing and label me as fanboy and not wanting change. Try reading the 20k + post I made when I do list tons of things for change. Oklahoma is no exception. I'd love to see Oklahoma be known as the weather update dlc. Its one more step in the right direction.

For the Oklahoma map itself, we have better chances of that type of feedback making the dlc. Prime example here, I'd love to see Northeast Oklahoma make the dlc as a day one release. To be more specific, Miami Oklahoma. There is some unique land up there that I seriously think would be great for dumpers. We don't get a ton of dumper jobs as is and this one gives one of the best reasons to make a remote depot tagged to something. With I-44 and US-69 in the area, its expected to get those roads continued to Kansas and beyond. If we get Bartlesville marked, Miami Oklahoma is only 77 miles away. That is well withing lets say the 100 mile max limit to do a remote depot. At 1:20 scale that 77 miles will feel like 20 miles. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Miami,+ ... !5i2?hl=en.

I really like how the later dlcs are really spreading out the economy and balancing it well with inner city depots. I like 2-3 remote depots away from towncenter. To me, it gives reason to visit backroads beyond city center. Miami Oklahoma also allows us to get more of I-44 in before Missouri comes. I-44 @ US-59/US-69 for me (notice I'm saying for me which means my wants), its a must have termination point to round off this dlc. Otherwise Kansas which releases later this year picks up at I-44/US-59/US-69 and we never get the depot because Kansas can't add a depot in Oklahoma. Oklahoma cities are the only ones that can bring economy to Oklahoma. Otherwise, its scenic and that areas is pretty unique to just be scenic. There are plenty of prefabs that SCS can use from NAMIQ and Coastline Mining to make up this area of Miami.
oldmanclippy

#1609 Post by oldmanclippy » 16 May 2023 20:23

Yeah I don't want the same thing to happen to the potential depots north of Miami as what happened to the scenic depots on WYO-59 north of Gillette.
flight50

#1610 Post by flight50 » 16 May 2023 21:14

^Are you talking about the missed opportunities North of Gillette?

Gillette, Wyoming
[ external image ]

Miami, Oklahoma
[ external image ]

If so, yessssss, this is the missed opportunity I don't want to see in Miami Oklahoma. Quarries are easier to rebrand to have multiple per city. That or complex prefabs finally. If SCS could make a single HUGE quarry for Miami, they just need multiple zones for job access. Similar to how huge rest stops have multiple triggers.

Return to “General discussion about the game”