Oklahoma Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: Oklahoma Discussion Thread

#1641 Post by flight50 » 01 Jun 2023 11:40

^I recommend getting off the interstates and try the secondary roads more in the newer dlc's. Imho, they try in some instances to feel that distant depth. There will always be limitations in a virtual world regardless of game engine in which we all have to understand that compared to real life depth perspective, a fine line has to be drawn at a set distance. At some point, vision must drop off and/or be less relevant to what's in focus.
Last edited by flight50 on 01 Jun 2023 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Travismods

#1642 Post by Travismods » 01 Jun 2023 12:25

Seerman wrote: 01 Jun 2023 09:49 Unfortunately, this is very upsetting. I would like to see distant horizon lines, and the SCS try to simulate them, but I still don't get the feeling of a distant horizon in the game.
This has been my main gripe with the game since the beginning. It comes down to the map editor, which limits draw distance to only 1500 m for models and 4000 m for far models. Since far models are only used occasionally, most of the game world that they build lies withing those 1500 m. That makes it very hard to impressively depict distance horizons, mountains, open vistas etc. So even if you place objects or landscape further away it will not get rendered until you hit that 1.5 km.

I would be more fine with the small 1:20 map scale (which, I loathe) if we could at least get something like 4-5 km of landscape model render distance. 1.5 km feels very poor for depicting realistic US scenery. Its the reason the whole game world feels very narrow in relation to the player camera.
Shiva

#1643 Post by Shiva » 01 Jun 2023 22:20

koolizz wrote: 01 Jun 2023 07:59 Its possible they are using a far model for the skyline and far models can only be seen for certain angles from a distance - the editor only allows for a square of visibility making it invisible from certain angles.

So its possible they made a tree line in screenshot #6 because looking from that angle the game cannot render the skyline far model while simultaneously rendering it from other necessary angles, as seen in other screenshots.

So you might just have to swallow screenshot 6 as the final product.
Can not render?
I do believe way more in my theory, way more.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Gormanbros

#1644 Post by Gormanbros » 07 Jun 2023 00:48

Maybe it's just me, but I find it a little weird just how little Oklahoma is being pushed right now. I feel like it's blogs are still so paced so far out that I'm having doubts about it releasing in June like I believed it would
oldmanclippy

#1645 Post by oldmanclippy » 07 Jun 2023 01:29

Yeah only way it makes June at this point is if 1.48 is a lightning-fast OB or if it starts very soon and is a still expedient OB, but it likely won't be because of Switzerland, more German cities, Texas additions, possibly CA phase 3, and whatever other changes come. Looking like July, but there's still a small chance for late June I'd say.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
flight50

#1646 Post by flight50 » 07 Jun 2023 01:52

June is out at this point. Time shifts to July/August. Until we get open beta though, we ain't getting Oklahoma til 3+ weeks after ob. We got the VNL for 1.47 when I figured 1.48. So that's one less thing on 1.48. But yeah with Texas 2.0 and possibly phase 3 California, that's a lot of mapping. Then Oklahoma once it releases. All 3 will have bugs. Heck phase 3 plus Texas 2.0 could be about the size of Oklahoma, lol.

Imho, phase 3 could be driving this 1.48 bus. Nothing since May 2022 and if they nearly finished with ph3, might as well hold ob. Otherwise, we wait til November-ish with Kansas when they might have only needed 1-1.5 months to polish phase 3.

I'm still confident Davido's team is pretty fast. I still can't see them needing more than 11 months 11-12 months for Oklahoma.
Seerman

#1647 Post by Seerman » 07 Jun 2023 06:06

I think now they want to quickly release the third phase of California, so some forces are distributed in this direction.
I translate via Google Translate. Sometimes he does it badly. I beg understand and forgive. :geek:

#1648 Post by disintegration7x » 07 Jun 2023 15:51

Sorry, i don't follow these boards that closely, but we're almost halfway through 2023 with zero DLC released and it's getting frustrating tbh.

Texas is so cut-off from the good parts of the map without OK and KS- I don't think i can make that drive from Raton-Dalhart one more time when i'm trying to go from Denver-DFW lol. I thought more teams would result in a faster release cadence?

Also, maybe a dumb question, but why do ETS releases affect ATS and vice versa? Aren't they separate teams?
parasaurolophus67

#1649 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 07 Jun 2023 18:08

@disintegration7x They are separate teams. Idk where you heard they weren't.

Also they don't rush things because it won't look good if they release too soon. It's all about patience. If you can't really wait for it, Idk what to tell you then other then do something else while waiting for the DLC to come out.
oldmanclippy

#1650 Post by oldmanclippy » 07 Jun 2023 18:26

disintegration7x wrote: 07 Jun 2023 15:51 Sorry, i don't follow these boards that closely, but we're almost halfway through 2023 with zero DLC released and it's getting frustrating tbh.

Texas is so cut-off from the good parts of the map without OK and KS- I don't think i can make that drive from Raton-Dalhart one more time when i'm trying to go from Denver-DFW lol. I thought more teams would result in a faster release cadence?

Also, maybe a dumb question, but why do ETS releases affect ATS and vice versa? Aren't they separate teams?
We haven't had an ATS map in the first half of the year since 2019, so not exactly off-brand. Yeah it would have been nice to get a trailer pack, but we've also gotten 2 trucks + a reworked truck.

The faster release cadence hasn't kicked in yet. The Idaho team went to work on the California rework before being pulled to help get Texas out the door, then the Colorado team went to go help with Texas, then the Wyoming team was spun up and moved to Montana and now Oklahoma, and Kansas is being done by the lead behind Colorado. So the post-Kansas DLC will be the first instance of the 3rd active map DLC team getting going, presumably being led by the lead behind Texas who has likely been supervising additions to northeast Texas which are coming in the next update before Oklahoma. If we don't get a 3rd map this year, then 2024 should be the first year where the release cadence picks up. Texas was the big log jam but now that that's out of the way we should get more frequent releases.

ETS2 releases only affect ATS releases insomuch as they don't want to release a map for both games at the same time, because a) that throttles the marketing for both maps, and b) lots of their customers play both games. The teams are separate and as far as we've been told, moving between games is rare for mappers at least.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)

Return to “General discussion about the game”