Oklahoma Discussion Thread

rbsanford

Re: Oklahoma Discussion Thread

#1041 Post by rbsanford » 01 Feb 2023 01:27

Looks pretty stormy. I wonder if this means tornadoes will be added.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
parasaurolophus67

#1042 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 01 Feb 2023 01:28

Don't think so with the current engine. Tho the question is, will it come before or after Oklahoma comes out.
oldmanclippy

#1043 Post by oldmanclippy » 01 Feb 2023 03:36

Oklahoma would certainly be an opportune time for such enhancements, but I'm not holding my breath.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
rbsanford

#1044 Post by rbsanford » 01 Feb 2023 04:58

Tornadoes could just be distant random events, with a funnel cloud moving slowly along a track behind a treewall. With more three-dimensional clouds and the right skybox, and its spawn locations and likelihoods being based off of real life data, it could be a pretty neat effect; but anything more, with high wind simulation and environmental destruction, would indeed require a new engine. They could probably have little bits of debris, like twigs and such, "blowing" across the road like the tumbleweeds do in CA, but with the trees themselves standing still it'd be pretty uncanny.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
raskol

#1045 Post by raskol » 01 Feb 2023 08:25

I think vdb 3D support should come, all games benefit from this support.
It doesn't just happen with the sky box, it doesn't just throw a 2d sky box and it doesn't happen, vdb clouds support is required, smoke and particle system must be renewed, the products of the old system must be replaced, at least if dx12 comes, vdb clouds support should come to the hartita editor of the game because there should be vdb clouds support for tornadoes, hurricanes and similar things.
Trakaplex

#1046 Post by Trakaplex » 01 Feb 2023 17:36

rbsanford wrote: 01 Feb 2023 04:58 Tornadoes could just be distant random events, with a funnel cloud moving slowly along a track behind a treewall. With more three-dimensional clouds and the right skybox, and its spawn locations and likelihoods being based off of real life data, it could be a pretty neat effect; but anything more, with high wind simulation and environmental destruction, would indeed require a new engine. They could probably have little bits of debris, like twigs and such, "blowing" across the road like the tumbleweeds do in CA, but with the trees themselves standing still it'd be pretty uncanny.
True. The tumbleweed in the base map is probably the only realistic thing lol in the base map. I mean we have winter mods available. One Steam comment criticizing the Texas DLC due to lack of gameplay Simon managed to hop on and mentioned that would need major improvement in the engine right? Having randomly spawned tornadoes would be under a mathematical algorithm and requires deep coding, which is not enough for the current engine. He also mentioned that game physics would be changed including season. But this would make the gameplay so much more exciting than just pumping out maps.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
flight50

#1047 Post by flight50 » 01 Feb 2023 17:39

A ton is riding on this game engine update for sure. We are clueless as to how SCS can push it or will push it. Hopefully they start talking about it by time Summer hits.
Optional Features

#1048 Post by Optional Features » 01 Feb 2023 17:40

oldmanclippy wrote: 01 Feb 2023 03:36 Oklahoma would certainly be an opportune time for such enhancements, but I'm not holding my breath.
They also showed a wintry scene with the Christmas event, and yet no such scenery was available in game.

I'd just like to see a default overcast sky, the return of the moon, and maybe some heavier rain.

A tornado is a bit too much to ask for.
oldmanclippy

#1049 Post by oldmanclippy » 01 Feb 2023 23:36

The wind and lightning in the header gif is in that SCS style of innocent-enough-but-still-slightly-aggravating-false-advertising. If we don't get a big weather upgrade before Oklahoma comes then that header image might be the worst example yet of the marketing outpacing the game.

I assume that's the background for the cover image. It certainly looks nice and fits Oklahoma well as a famously stormy state.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
flight50

#1050 Post by flight50 » 02 Feb 2023 03:15

I've been advocating for a GPs weather upgrade for awhile now. Not necessarily tornadoes but most definitely severe thunderstorms. They get pretty darn bad in tornado alley. If we can get a boost there, that would be great.

Return to “General discussion about the game”