Oklahoma Discussion Thread

Carfreak200

Re: Oklahoma Discussion Thread

#281 Post by Carfreak200 » 09 Aug 2022 00:06

I'm going under the assumption that Oklahoma is already in pre-production with most of Davido's team from Montana coming over once Montana went into testing and polishing. We got a bunch of assets already in from 1.45 tagged with Oklahoma tags (as well as Kansas and Nebraska). That being said, I don't see Oklahoma taking as long as Montana to map and Davido got Montana out 11 months after his same team completed Wyoming. Knowing this, I believe Oklahoma will be released 8 to 10 months from now. That would put us somewhere between March and May.

My optimistic prediction is we get Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Kansas all in 2023. With the Dakotas or LA/AR being teased towards the end of next year. This is all based on Texas coming out at the end of this year because that map alone tied up almost 75% of the current ATS map team (if I have my numbers correct). Once Texas is done, that will be a huge amount of mappers freed up to work on other projects. (Rebuilds, new maps, updated to old maps, etc.)
Best Free ATS Mods viewtopic.php?t=317006

Life's too Short to Drive Boring Trucks

Current Garage:
  • Rezbilt 389 (Allen Rezbilt)
  • Freightliner Classic XL (BSA)
  • Peterbilt 379X (Chief86)
Trakaplex

#282 Post by Trakaplex » 09 Aug 2022 00:36

Carfreak200 wrote: 09 Aug 2022 00:06 I'm going under the assumption that Oklahoma is already in pre-production with most of Davido's team from Montana coming over once Montana went into testing and polishing. We got a bunch of assets already in from 1.45 tagged with Oklahoma tags (as well as Kansas and Nebraska). That being said, I don't see Oklahoma taking as long as Montana to map and Davido got Montana out 11 months after his same team completed Wyoming. Knowing this, I believe Oklahoma will be released 8 to 10 months from now. That would put us somewhere between March and May.

My optimistic prediction is we get Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Kansas all in 2023. With the Dakotas or LA/AR being teased towards the end of next year. This is all based on Texas coming out at the end of this year because that map alone tied up almost 75% of the current ATS map team (if I have my numbers correct). Once Texas is done, that will be a huge amount of mappers freed up to work on other projects. (Rebuilds, new maps, updated to old maps, etc.)
How are we going to get all OK, KS, and NE? In a single DLC? After all Oklahoma is kind of small, but I disagree. If so, they should name it "Tornado Alley DLC". If Oklahoma is a single map, Kansas and Nebraska could be a "Great Plains" DLC. I guess with AR/LA, where is the Texas team going to go? They could split up and build AR/LA the same time as OK.

Honestly, June of next year is a good estimate for Oklahoma.
Rule 2.3 - GDPR Violation
Marcello Julio

#283 Post by Marcello Julio » 09 Aug 2022 01:37

Oklahoma is still big enough to be its own DLC. Now Kansas and Nebraska I would venture to say that being a single DLC is better. I'm also betting that Davido team is working in Oklahoma, it's the most logical sense, mainly because Oklahoma will have to be next after Texas.
Carfreak200

#284 Post by Carfreak200 » 09 Aug 2022 07:21

Trakaplex wrote: 09 Aug 2022 00:36
Carfreak200 wrote: 09 Aug 2022 00:06 I'm going under the assumption that Oklahoma is already in pre-production with most of Davido's team from Montana coming over once Montana went into testing and polishing. We got a bunch of assets already in from 1.45 tagged with Oklahoma tags (as well as Kansas and Nebraska). That being said, I don't see Oklahoma taking as long as Montana to map and Davido got Montana out 11 months after his same team completed Wyoming. Knowing this, I believe Oklahoma will be released 8 to 10 months from now. That would put us somewhere between March and May.

How are we going to get all OK, KS, and NE? In a single DLC? After all Oklahoma is kind of small, but I disagree. If so, they should name it "Tornado Alley DLC". If Oklahoma is a single map, Kansas and Nebraska could be a "Great Plains" DLC. I guess with AR/LA, where is the Texas team going to go? They could split up and build AR/LA the same time as OK.

Honestly, June of next year is a good estimate for Oklahoma.
There are 2 possible ways they do it. Feel free to correct me if my numbers are off here. But these would be my guess.

1) With Montana officially released, Davido's team is most likely well on there way into Oklahoma by now. This team of 10 is now solely responsible for pumping out Wyoming and Montana. Both substantial maps done in roughly 11 months each (this is based on the time between DLCs). They are now going into a much smaller state with the experience from their previous maps, so with that being said. I believe they could pump out Oklahoma in 8-10 months. Which again puts us between March and May 2023. If the Texas team manages to stay on track and finish by the end of this year, that will free up I believe 25 mappers to go to other projects. It's been mentioned that some of the rebuild team had been pulled to Texas for this final push. So my guess is 5 or so get put back on rebuilds post Texas. So now we have 20 free mappers to tackle the next DLC after OK which to me seems like Kansas and Nebraska based on the new assets. I don't see any reason that the talented Texas team can't knockout Nebraska and Kansas in just less than a year. Whether they release them together or close together, idk. But I don't see 20 mappers going to solely to one or the other. So my guess is the Texas with divide and conquer those 2 in about a year after Texas.

2) The second and much less likely option is that Davido's team does much of the start work on building a "Tornado Alley" DLC and they are joined by most of the Texas team upon Texas's completion to help build a combined Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska DLC. Hopefully with a release in the 3rd Quarter of next year. Just because I think SCS wants to get back to frequent DLC releases so they won't want to wait to long after Texas to release the next one so everyone would really have to push for that one, which could be possible with like 30 mappers. Again I think this scenario is unlikely but not impossible. Especially since assets for all 3 have already begun to gather.
Best Free ATS Mods viewtopic.php?t=317006

Life's too Short to Drive Boring Trucks

Current Garage:
  • Rezbilt 389 (Allen Rezbilt)
  • Freightliner Classic XL (BSA)
  • Peterbilt 379X (Chief86)
flight50

#285 Post by flight50 » 09 Aug 2022 07:36

You all are not taking in account that Pavel stated most of the mappers are on Texas to get it out next. If Texas didn't need the help, I'd agree that Oklahoma is perhaps a late Spring to an early Summer release. Its better to aire on the side of later than too soon though. Too many times I see people guess way too early and get disappointed. Then the impatient post come......where is such in such. Anyone want to guess when such in such in such releases. I was one of those, but you learn that patience wins out. The blogs and the open beta will always tell you the story of when something is around the corner. Achievements on steam, license plates, big city blog and/or the capital blog and the state being highlighted on the map are always your clues when (x) dlc is about to release. You learn to look for the clues. Knowing where the majority of the map team is right now, this is one of those times I won't be so optimistic to thinking Oklahoma comes before June.

The expectations we put on the map team's speed can be disappointing is the warning I'm getting at. Its way to early to guess. Especially without Oklahoma being in full production. We only know that if SCS says so. Montana was done ahead of schedule yes, but it too was accelerated and took people from the rebuild team and probably a few from Texas to push it ahead of Texas. Once released, Texas absorbed them back to get it pushed now. Full production on Oklahoma at best won't be until later on this year is my guess as Texas is more than likely in testing. That is when people start being freed up. That's perhaps October-ish. So 8-10 months after October puts it around June.

FYI, Texas and Montana took people from the rebuild team quite some time ago according to Jakub. He did a stream on this awhile back when we got phase 2 California mentioning this. His team was down to only 3 people including himself. 2 seniors and him which are polishing up phase 3 or its release. So Texas was already boosted then. Montana was decided to go ahead of Texas so people went there as well. So there hasn't been capacity to take from the rebuild team for months.
harishw8r

#286 Post by harishw8r » 09 Aug 2022 07:47

I wouldn’t consider the second case ‘less likely’. It’s very well possible. Personally I’d like to see that Tornado alley DLC come to fruition.

I might be wrong here (please correct me if I am) but unlike the individual Rocky Mountain States, these are geographically very similar and has more or less the same things to offer, especially ICC wise. There aren’t any strong unique selling points for these states here, and by that I only mean the previous DLCs. From a marketing point of view, the combination is easy to push than the individual states.

Oklahoma might be the only exception here, after Oklahoma I don’t think there may be individual state DLCs.

The one thing I don’t agree with is the 3rd quarter release. It’s easily a fourth quarter one, it might be the only map DLC for that year. This gives me another idea - there could only be two map teams per game; one for reworks and one for DLCs. Release reworks mid-year and DLCs towards the end. I consider it a pretty nice and simple structure.
flight50

#287 Post by flight50 » 09 Aug 2022 08:39

I can agree that those three states are similar with Oklahoma getting the nod for offering a bit more though. If such a bundle does come, yes it would be the only dlc for the year and is definitely a Q4 release. After Texas releases, that gives us a lot of map actually. So the wait would be longer but we get a lot for that wait. That's easily a Texas priced dlc imo. It would definitely be much easier to sell all 3 than each one individually.

I'd expect a huge focus on agriculture to push such a dlc though. I'd love to see such a dlc get a licensed farming equipment brand. A little bit of Farm Sim would do that part of ATS a lot of good. So an agricultural cargo pack from a licensed manufacture would get great.
killingjoke28336

#288 Post by killingjoke28336 » 09 Aug 2022 11:13

I really hope they upgrade the weathersystem someday, we need the tornados!
Sara

#289 Post by Sara » 09 Aug 2022 12:37

I wouldn't mind if we get tornados, but the game has a long way to go if we're ever going to get that far. Especially with the transitioning between the weather, since most of it is pretty unrealistic. I don't want to see a tornado crossing a highway while it is a sunny day with very little cloud cover.
oldmanclippy

#290 Post by oldmanclippy » 09 Aug 2022 12:54

Wind would be a good start. Wyoming was the missed opportunity for wind to make it in the game. Great Plains is the next good opportunity. It'll be awkward if we get to Illinois and SCS tries to dance around calling Chicago "The Windy City" in marketing materials because they can't back it up with gameplay.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)

Return to “General discussion about the game”