Which area in ETS2 should be reworked next ?

Which are should be reworked next ??

United Kingdom
19%
BeNeLux
57%
Poland
12%
Hungary
6%
Slovakia
1%
Czech Republic
6%

Total votes: 305

Marcello Julio

Re: Which area in ETS2 should be reworked next ?

#671 Post by Marcello Julio » 23 May 2023 21:05

In my opinion, the next country to be reworked should be the Czech Republic. Yes, I know that one of the cities in the Czech Republic that is Ostrava is part of the Going East DLC, but I think that in this case, it is possible to open an exception and rework the country, because it is only one city, different from Poland, Hungary and Slovakia that there are many cities beyond the base game. Czech Republic is the home of SCS deserved to be represented the way it really should be.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#672 Post by Mohegan13 » 23 May 2023 22:41

I would accept Chechia instead of Benelux. Even if they only do the base parts of it, it's better than nothing.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Aziz

#673 Post by Aziz » 23 May 2023 22:52

I noticed I avoid going to BtBS and RttBS areas on my recent travels. Simply because I'd have to go through GE. For the north it's a bit easier because I can go through Sweden, the south though... I have to wait for WB so I can sneak around Hungary through Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia to get to Romania.

Today I had to drive through Belgium to reach Calais. That was terrible even in the middle of the night. So yeah for me, right now, anything goes. UK can wait, it's not like I get there by accident.
harishw8r

#674 Post by harishw8r » 24 May 2023 02:22

I wouldn’t mind Czechia either. Even Slovakia could get some love. It’s just six cities and could be tackled in one go. The Germany rework team could move towards reworking other base map cities.
velles

#675 Post by velles » 24 May 2023 04:39

IMO the rework after Switzerland should go like this:
- Benelux + Northeastern France (at least Lille and Metz due to how close they are to the Benelux) + Western Germany (Ruhr region + maybe additional cities like Saarbrucken or Trier) as a one large rework done both by Switzerland rework team and Germany rework team
- Czech Republic (while Germany team moves to finish whatever German cities are left)
- Poland
- Rest of Going East DLC
- UK
- Scandinavia
- Some fixes in the France and Italy DLC

I know UK is bad but at least it easy to avoid. Continental Europe (Going East included) is not.
krmarci wrote: 23 May 2023 09:33 The tower is in the public domain. Only its lighting isn't.
^ this. As long as it doesn't light up at night (or uses different lightning style) there's no need to pay for anything
Brian Benton

#676 Post by Brian Benton » 24 May 2023 05:26

velles wrote: 24 May 2023 04:39 IMO the rework after Switzerland should go like this:
The base part of Italy is far from perfect... Cities still have the structure of 2008. Many assets that are found on the highway are also outdated. The horizon looks terrible. It is worth adding these territories for priority rework. If SCS hadn't started updating the cities of Germany, I wouldn't have thought about updating the cities of base Italy.

I completely agree with your priority on the list. I don't want to offend those who like to travel around the UK, but this territory is not a transit area when covering large distances on the map, unlike all other countries that need to be redone. Plus left-hand traffic, breaking the head ... I think that a reasonable solution would be to update the UK last, despite the age of this territory. You understood me correctly. I wish the Scandinavian DLC was updated before the UK.
velles

#677 Post by velles » 24 May 2023 05:57

At this point it is certain at least some part of the base game Italy will be reworked, otherwise they won't be able to connect Trieste, maybe Turin will also get reworked due to being close to Switzerland (I hope). Verona and Venice rework and addition of Trento (and maybe Bolzano if scale limitations permit it) also would be nice, but that's something that can be done by German city rework team after they finish Germany.

I don't agree that UK should be updated after Scandinavia, because Scandinavia was the first DLC with more modern SCS mapmaking and still holds up. But it definitely shouldn't be reworked before Going East. Yes, Going East is newer but it is just as bad as UK - it uses the same city building techniques (put a few streets and throw the landmarks in background), the same low quality textures, the same annoying prefabs where one lane suddenly disappears and unlike UK it isn't avoidable.
Benelux is the most probable next rework target since it is a 100% base game map area and roughly the same size as Switzerland, but Poland and Czech Republic should be way higher in priority than UK (due to being the only road connection to the Baltic DLC), rest of Going East might be done after UK (because after West Balkan relase it will be possible to avoid Hungary and Slovakia).

IMO SCS rework main goal should be to make possible a drive between DLCs without running into outdated areas - that's why I think they should rework Benelux, Czech Republic and Poland before the UK.
Also IIRC even Pavel confirmed the UK won't be reworked anytime soon because it is simply too vast, so smaller scope reworks like Benelux or Czechia are way more probable (especially Czechia since SCS is a Czech company and it probably will be easier for them).
Brian Benton

#678 Post by Brian Benton » 24 May 2023 06:37

velles wrote: 24 May 2023 05:57 IMO SCS rework main goal should be to make possible a drive between DLCs without running into outdated areas
That is why I would like the UK to be reworked last. You have to travel through Scandinavia very often, for example, on the way from Iberia, Germany, France, Italy to Finland. A significant drawback of Scandinavia is that outdated technology for building a roadway is used on its territory. Seamed textures, low-poly rotations, typical outdated basemap prefabs, and primitive horizon and outdated vegetation look just as good as Poland or the Benelux. The road network in cities and on two-lane roads is made using a new technology with smooth turns and seamless textures. Cities are also not a simple rectangle with a couple of warehouses and service stations and have a relatively unique construction. But these advantages are not enough, since we spend most of the time on the road on the highway.
JoeAlex23

#679 Post by JoeAlex23 » 24 May 2023 06:53

Pavel clearly stated that they first want to rebuild the base map and then move into the DLC's, for me personally the best course of action after Switzerland should be Benelux > UK > Going East (all at once or by country) > Scandinavia > France and Italy, that might not be the plan they follow but i'm a firm believer that the countries that share DLC and base map area should receive an overall refresh at the same time, rebuilding the base map cities of France, Italy, Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia first and then the rest of the cities/roads of those countries that is part of a DLC at a later date is such a dumb idea.
velles

#680 Post by velles » 24 May 2023 07:26

@Brian Benton
Scandinavia doesn't have base map prefabs, it was the first DLC with highway intersections made with separate parts. Also first with more realistic cities, first with marked scenery towns (not many as newer DLCs but there are a few).
It was SCS first attempt at making realistic map. I agree that it isn't perfect by any means and should be reworked, but not before UK (though probably some of the areas will be reworked with the North Scandinavia DLC release)

@JoeAlex23
Poland is also a (partially) base map country, and most of the Czech Republic is base game. And as I said - there is a good case for reworking Poland before UK due to being the only road connection to the Baltic DLC. UK is easy to avoid, Poland is not. West Balkans will make some of the Going East areas like Slovakia or Hungary avoidable so these countries might be done after UK but Poland and Czech Republic definitely should be reworked before the UK.

UK is 100% base game map area but the scope is so large that it will likely be done in phases like Germany or California reworks. And I guess UK will require at least 3-4 phases. On the other hand Czech Republic could be easily done in a single run, while Poland in 2, maybe 3 phases.
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see UK reworked. But ultimately this is choice between two options:
- rework of an easily avoidable country while players still have to drive 3-4 more years through terrible Central Europe
- Czechia + Poland rework while easily avoidable UK can wait
It is obvious that the second option would be WAAAAYYYY more beneficial to the map as a whole than a rework of such disconnected area as UK. This is the same case as people wanting I-80 in Nevada reworked before final California phase - because it will be beneficial not only for base game map but also for DLC areas.

Return to “General discussion about the game”