Which area in ETS2 should be reworked next ?

Which are should be reworked next ??

United Kingdom
20%
BeNeLux
58%
Poland
11%
Hungary
6%
Slovakia
1%
Czech Republic
5%

Total votes: 278

MH-S1981

Re: Which area in ETS2 should be reworked next ?

#701 Post by MH-S1981 » 29 May 2023 17:55

Hey all,

Just being a little curious but does anyone know when the “current standards” started? I’ve only played a little of ETS2 as ATS is my main source of entertainment but I can see how good Iberia looks and I’ve also had a little pootle around Austria and Italy. From what I’ve seen Italy is more or less on par with Iberia and Austria (apart from the 4 border cities!) so are they the same levels? What about France and Scandinavia?
Aziz

#702 Post by Aziz » 30 May 2023 07:07

The levels were more or less Base+GE→Scandinavia→France+Italy (look at the two islands, they're nearly identical in quality)→Baltic+Black Sea (they both have the same plains and dense forests and lots of small towns vibe)→Iberia (it's reportedly great at environment but road network still leaves something to be desired, eg. The cities include mostly the outskirts) →new reworks.
It's a gradual change, with each area something is improved, but not necessarily all of it.
velles

#703 Post by velles » 30 May 2023 10:43

Italia DLC definitely isn't the same quality as Austria, it has some obvious problems like the low quality mountains, cities had different design philosophy (in Italia most cities were made to be only truck accessible areas, which caused them to be devoid of any famous landmarks, Austria on the other hand has many famous landmarks in the city centers like the Schonbrunn Palace - if Vienna was designed with the same philosophy as Italia DLC this wouldn't be the case).

Also it still has some issues of the older map areas like the low city density (for example Foggia and Rimini or Cessena should be in the game, while Ferrara should be a marked city instead of being part of Bologna economy) or lack of major rivers
- no Pad river crossings on A13 near Ferrara, on A22 near Suzzara and on A7 between Milan and Genoa (it is present only on A1 near Piacenza)
- no Arno river crossings on A1 near Firenze and A12 north of Livorno
- no Tiber river near A1 north of Rome

Overall this map DLC isn't that bad (in fact, Sicily and Sardinia are very high quality areas) but on the other hand there are quite a few parts in central Italy that need to be reworked
MH-S1981

#704 Post by MH-S1981 » 30 May 2023 12:49

velles wrote: 30 May 2023 10:43 Italia DLC definitely isn't the same quality as Austria, it has some obvious problems like the low quality mountains, cities had different design philosophy (in Italia most cities were made to be only truck accessible areas, which caused them to be devoid of any famous landmarks, Austria on the other hand has many famous landmarks in the city centers like the Schonbrunn Palace - if Vienna was designed with the same philosophy as Italia DLC this wouldn't be the case).

Also it still has some issues of the older map areas like the low city density (for example Foggia and Rimini or Cessena should be in the game, while Ferrara should be a marked city instead of being part of Bologna economy) or lack of major rivers
- no Pad river crossings on A13 near Ferrara, on A22 near Suzzara and on A7 between Milan and Genoa (it is present only on A1 near Piacenza)
- no Arno river crossings on A1 near Firenze and A12 north of Livorno
- no Tiber river near A1 north of Rome

Overall this map DLC isn't that bad (in fact, Sicily and Sardinia are very high quality areas) but on the other hand there are quite a few parts in central Italy that need to be reworked
Aziz wrote: 30 May 2023 07:07
The levels were more or less Base+GE→Scandinavia→France+Italy (look at the two islands, they're nearly identical in quality)→Baltic+Black Sea (they both have the same plains and dense forests and lots of small towns vibe)→Iberia (it's reportedly great at environment but road network still leaves something to be desired, eg. The cities include mostly the outskirts) →new reworks.
It's a gradual change, with each area something is improved, but not necessarily all of it.
Aziz wrote: 30 May 2023 07:07 The levels were more or less Base+GE→Scandinavia→France+Italy (look at the two islands, they're nearly identical in quality)→Baltic+Black Sea (they both have the same plains and dense forests and lots of small towns vibe)→Iberia (it's reportedly great at environment but road network still leaves something to be desired, eg. The cities include mostly the outskirts) →new reworks.
Thanks for the response guys. Do you think there will be a point when SCS decide that the standard is enough and to keep producing at that level or are they going to keep reworking over and again as each new DLC is released?
oldmanclippy

#705 Post by oldmanclippy » 30 May 2023 13:34

I think reworks will continue for a long time. Base map will take a while yet, and then there's Going East, Scandinavia, Vive la France, and Italia. Who knows if ETS2 will even be around long enough to get to the point where they can rework VlF and Italia, and even if that's the case VlF and Italia are probably too big to get full reworks. Beyond that, reworks probably won't be necessary IMO. Just road additions, and better mountain models in Road to the Black Sea. But maybe standards will be different by then.

I'd like to see full reworks up through Scandinavia, then Vive la France and Italia can get heavy but not total reworks (although maybe this would be more work than the Austria-rip-and-tear approach), then BtBS and beyond can get road additions, signage updates, texture improvements, etc. But we're talking way way into the future and again who knows if ETS2 will even be around that long.

The quality tiers for me are:

Base Map / Going East
Scandinavia
Vive la France
Italia
BtBS / RttBS
Iberia
Austria / German City Reworks (probably Switzerland too)

Not sure where West Balkans will end up but my guess is that it'll stay on Austria's tier. I expect North Scandinavia to be the next jump in quality, if e.g. the Benelux rework doesn't get there first.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Aziz

#706 Post by Aziz » 30 May 2023 14:16

I don't think current standard leaves much to be desired. Road networks, given the scale, are very accurate even with some obvious omissions which are inevitable when you have a 20th of the world to work with. The cities are detailed, so are the landmarks. Aside from nonexistent turning lanes on 2+2 roads, which irks me constantly, there's not much left to do. Unless they went berserk and changed the textures of foliage, ground etc to 8K and implemented really high poly models. But that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.
velles

#707 Post by velles » 30 May 2023 14:37

Yeah, I'm also not sure if anything can be improved at 1:20 scale, it kinda makes me wish for an ETS3 with 1:10 scale map - it would probably take longer to complete than ATS but imagine the level of detail with the current mapmaking techniques (more accurate major cities with many streets, more smaller cities, more minor roads, etc.).
I'm convinced that would be a perfect map scale - large enough to have room for an extra detail but still small enough to not be boring (also more detailed cities would allow for a more interesting intracity deliveries, maybe some other purposes like city bus mod or something)
parasaurolophus67

#708 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 30 May 2023 14:38

An ETS3 still won't happen regardless. A new sequel has got to rest at some point.
velles

#709 Post by velles » 30 May 2023 14:41

Probably not for the next 5 years but I think by 2030 there won't be much room left for ETS2 expansions. ATS on the other hand can still expand into Canada, Alaska and Mexico
parasaurolophus67

#710 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 30 May 2023 14:42

Then again, Euro trucks don't need to stop at Europe so..

Return to “General discussion about the game”