Kansas Discussion Thread

Travismods

Re: Kansas Discussion Thread

#431 Post by Travismods » 29 Mar 2023 12:56

^I wasn’t talking about the landscape. I am talking about the assets SCS uses to place in the landscape which are too heavily recycled. They are becoming very copy paste as we move east and this is evident from one look in the content browser in the editor. Parked vehicles. Trucks. Wrecks. Pedestrians - or lack thereof - and using the same 5 pedestrian models. Prefabs. Truck garages. Vegetation. Silos. Crowning of roads and condition of asphalt. Crash and roadside events.

Besides buildings, assets are so heavily copy pasted now I really cannot tell what state the blog is on unless I read the title. There is very little new content and variation (models) being made besides new buildings, and it shows more and more with each new state.

I wasn’t complaining about the landscape of Kansas, lol.
rbsanford

#432 Post by rbsanford » 29 Mar 2023 14:38

I don't know why you'd expect those kinds of assets to be different. You can't always look at a parked car, a tree, or a grain elevator and immediately know what state you're in IRL, so the game being like that isn't a problem.

By the way, isn't it too early to complain that SCS isn't bringing anything new to the table? This was only the third Kansas post (second if you don't count the teaser), so everything is still very much a work in progress, and they don't announce new features until they're ready to go. We don't know what the future has in store.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#433 Post by flight50 » 29 Mar 2023 16:16

harishw8r wrote: 29 Mar 2023 07:51 Yes. People are desperate for maps (at least I am). Now what?
Wold14 wrote: 29 Mar 2023 12:05 Indeed, I am desperate for the entire US to be finished. This was a blog about Kansas DLC so I'm not sure why you'd expect them to be talking about truck washes or whatever. Large parts of Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma etc do look very similar in real life so SCS can only represent that. The landscape doesn't change dramatically just because you've crossed a state line. Personally I found that blog very insightful, and looks like we might be getting at least part of Kansas City which is exciting.
I love maps, lol. I'm a maps person first above everything else. I love exploring new roads and ICCs that SCS brings. That's what keeps me playing. Then comes the gameplay/features for me. Not a lot going on now feature wise but its coming.

Ditto that crossing state line won't change landscape much for bordering states. State line does not mean change of scenery. Everything is blended at state lines irl. So it must follow in game too. The more East we go, the more and more similar the entire US will appear. There will be more complaints about everything looking the same in due time. SCS is going to map what Google Maps shows and people will blame SCS for mapping what Google Maps shows. I won't understand it myself. East of I-35/I-29,I-49 will look very similar for the remainder of the US. The US doesn't have the culture behind it like Europe so expecting drastic changes with culture when Google Maps doesn't show it, won't happen.
hangman005

#434 Post by hangman005 » 29 Mar 2023 16:39

Maps are what first drew to the games, I tried ETS2 just after "Going North" was released, and ATS prior to the rescale. The truck and cargo were just an excuse to go from place to place. Heck I used to draw maps when I was youngin lol More features are a welcome bonus.

Personally I tier my content in the following 1st is Map and world improvements, so DLC, reworks, weather, lighting and ambient sound improvements. 2nd Trucks/Trailers/Cargo then everything else. in varying degrees.
A J K 91

#435 Post by A J K 91 » 29 Mar 2023 19:26

Bedavd wrote: 29 Mar 2023 00:42 Emporia, Colby, and Hays confirmed to be marked
I don't think that means the 3 cities are confirmed. It was only mentioned that they are working on it. It could still be unmarked cities.

I believe Kansas City, MO will be included. The building in the picture looks too detailed to me if you would only see it from afar. Also, you can't even see it from the Kansas side (I could be wrong).
SORRY FOR THE BAD ENGLISH. GOOGLE TRANSLATOR.
flight50

#436 Post by flight50 » 29 Mar 2023 20:18

^Normally I'd agree on Emporia, Colby and Hays that they could be unmarked. But after looking at industry and their surrounding locations on Google Maps, there's a lot to offer. Colby by default could make it as marked just to get something marked after Burlington Colorado. Between Colby and Hays, those settlements would be scenic if we get some. All 3 of those cities are pretty much off a major route. Hard to skip them. Especially Hays and Emporia.

For Hays, Vine Street/US-183 has a lot we can get in ATS. We should get 230th Ave to get to the Peterbilt dealership off 55th. We should get 55th to Vine St to make a loop. So 2 exits for Hays.

Emporia possible presents a problem though. Its between Topeka and Wichita. Will it fit as a marked city? Maybe, maybe not. It has the most industry out of all 3 cities. To much to exclude it. It's right of I-35 and US-50. Hard to skip it as marked kinda but hey, they might still make it scenic. I-35 and US-50 must be present thru Emporia. There's trucks stops and a whole lot of other stuff that SCS can't easily avoid. There's 88 miles between Emporia and Wichita. There's 59 miles between Emporia and Topeka. Technically SCS has fit in marked cities in less distance. Worse case, Emporia can get remote depots marked to Topeka or Wichita.

In this case, I think Bedavd could be right though. I'm not sure how they work it all out but Wichita, Emporia, Topeka, KC Kansas and Salina will all have to show up in the game. That's tight spacing. Then Pittsburg is very very remote to all that. They might have to do some fictional stuff for Emporia. Move it more to be dead center between Topeka and Wichita. Maybe put more curve on I-35 to space it from I-335. Better yet, don't do 335. Make US-75 and connect it to I-35. That saves space with larger junctions. Run US-75 to I-470 to I-70. I-70 does some funky curves around Topeka so it needs space.
A J K 91

#437 Post by A J K 91 » 29 Mar 2023 20:39

flight50 wrote: 29 Mar 2023 20:18 In this case, I think Bedavd could be right though.
I also think that at least Emporia and Hays are marked, but still they have not been confirmed.
SORRY FOR THE BAD ENGLISH. GOOGLE TRANSLATOR.
flight50

#438 Post by flight50 » 29 Mar 2023 21:59

Yeah I typically rather get confirmation before getting hopes up. But I love looking at Google Maps for potential industry too. Knowing that SCS reads the forum, you never know if they have interest in something we might say on here. The Kansas blog the other day makes me want to think the start of the MidWest will be coming with a whole new economy model per Patrik's comments. The MidWest is different than the West and even with Texas and Oklahoma. So as the GL are the target, getting the MidWest economy going with Kansas could provide a new experience. Patrik does good work and is one of the most passionate mappers we have. I'd like to think that he has something up his sleeves for Kansas to be excited about.

If 2023 is the year of the engine update, I'm sure the ATS/EST2 team are licking their chops on what programmers could be telling them they can open the doors up to. The economy..........I really hope some enhanced features can provide a whole new experience. Afterall, why would they be working on the game engine just for grins. I'm sure SCS is aware of what these other games are doing that people keep talking about. I can see more things coming to increase the fun factor.
Bedavd

#439 Post by Bedavd » 30 Mar 2023 01:34

I’m, personally, confirming them based on how the articles are worded. Feels weird to call the “cities” out by name and talk about designing, then go on to mention working on generic “settlements”. Not concrete but good enough for me to say they’re probably more major, marked cities. Particularly when it’s been speculated in the past that they’d be in, for instance all three are included on ads678’s map.

Could be wrong, I often am, but I fee like they’re all marked.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
TruckingWolfUSA

#440 Post by TruckingWolfUSA » 30 Mar 2023 02:45

Bedavd wrote: 30 Mar 2023 01:34 I’m, personally, confirming them based on how the articles are worded. Feels weird to call the “cities” out by name and talk about designing, then go on to mention working on generic “settlements”. Not concrete but good enough for me to say they’re probably more major, marked cities. Particularly when it’s been speculated in the past that they’d be in, for instance all three are included on ads678’s map.

Could be wrong, I often am, but I fee like they’re all marked.
Yeah, you're pretty much right here.
The way SCS calls out marked cities versus unmarked "settlements" tracks with what was said in the blog about Hays, Colby, and Emporia. Also, those cities make perfect sense to fit into the Kansas DLC.

Additionally, I would like to add that I think that the brick and mortar store that was mentioned here -
Blog wrote: For example, as part of the new DLC, we've added a brick-and-mortar store and I hope this new store will be a great authentic detail for the town center.
Reading between the lines and looking at those two towns, my best guess is they're adding Walgreens since that's the only store really in the "center" of Hays. Or at least, I hope it's Walgreens anyways XD

Return to “General discussion about the game”