I'm sorry this has to be said, the terrible state of AI traffic

canuckster

I'm sorry this has to be said, the terrible state of AI traffic

#1 Post by canuckster » 15 Nov 2020 16:41

Clean installation, no mods.

Something I've noticed with each update and every state is how AI traffic is getting progressively worse, it is taking anything relaxing out of driving.

I'm doing my first job in Colorado along I-70 towards Denver and every onramp in front of me there is a collision between a truck and a car, 3 on ramps in a row, I wouldn't call that coincidence or just bad luck, there's more to it than that.

The state of AI traffic is just terrible. When Oregon came trucks started going into the fast lane after merging onto a highway, then doing a back and forth between the different lanes.

Cars racing onto the highway in front of me only to slam their brakes when they merge.

Trucks trying to pass other trucks and slamming their brakes when they go into the fast lane.

I haven't been able to complete a job the past 10 jobs without hitting something and getting a violation because of weird AI behaviour, this was not like this before and it needs to be improved.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
Pining to drive the Trans-Canada Highway... some eventual beautiful day.
joschac2

#2 Post by joschac2 » 15 Nov 2020 16:48

yea..we need a AI redo. Get AI off thr rails and get in a mesh Ai network. Its better for the future as SCS can modified Ai as they want with a Mesh AI ( same Ai GTAs use )
Freeze338

Re: I'm sorry this has to be said, the terrible state of AI traffic

#3 Post by Freeze338 » 15 Nov 2020 22:35

Still trying to understand the A.I. truck which is overtaking me over 70mph and as soon as it returns on right line slams the brake and it goes with 58mph.

What are you doing buddy? Trying to slow me down?

They are so slow on interstates. Except overtaking they would go 60mph when speed limit is 80. Those trucks looks hideous on Texas I'm pretty sure.
Last edited by Freeze338 on 16 Nov 2020 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Bin_Cube25

#4 Post by Bin_Cube25 » 16 Nov 2020 09:00

There are literally always spots I know to slow down where merging lanes are. Because all traffic even fast lane traffic just slams it’s brakes on. Every time.
Ness

#5 Post by Ness » 16 Nov 2020 11:01

Honestly, even with the latest Colorado DLC I'm still seeing AI stop in weigh station lanes and sit there, AI traffic not knowing how to merge at all, ect.

I really hate the "ITS REALISTIC!!!11" excuse because it just isn't true, people drive like idiots sure, but nowhere this consistently bad in real life.
Sovereign 89

#6 Post by Sovereign 89 » 16 Nov 2020 13:30

Agreed. AI traffic driving can be really horrible. No matter how good you can drive, it is bound you crash into something sooner or later due to dumb AI drivers.
I especially hate when they are stopping 2 times before taking a turn. I get they have to stop once, but that second time they stop right after is extremely annoying.
[ external image ] [ external image ]

WB Croatia speculation map
hallux

#7 Post by hallux » 16 Nov 2020 14:15

I've also seen twice where Ai were stopped at green lights. Not up at the intersection but a distance away as though there are invisible vehicles in front of them. I'll have to try grabbing a screenshot next time.
55sixxx

#8 Post by 55sixxx » 16 Nov 2020 14:20

I noticed that too... and not only in ATS but in ETS2 the Ai is getting dumber and dumber also. I've lost count of how many crashes I've seen on off-ramps... and sometimes there's a big pile up of vehicles behind the collision and if you are paying attention to your GPS or Dashboard (Which already happened to me), that's a certain crash for you.

I also noticed that in some places the Ai does not yield, like, at all. In ETS2 i got hit very hard on the side when the preference was mine and on ATS i was just a few meters from the crossing and the Ai didn't stop for me and i hit full on the side of the other truck.
Samus L. Jackson

#9 Post by Samus L. Jackson » 16 Nov 2020 14:23

I don't know why the AI drives so slowly in general. Seems like more often than not, cars are going way under the speed limit. I don't know what people drive like in Europe, but in the U.S. almost everyone drives aggressively, at least on the east coast. 55mph means almost everyone is going 65 to 70 mph. If the speed limit is higher, people may not be going 10 to 15mph faster, but almost everyone is going faster. I'm one of the few weirdos who only goes like 61 or 62 in a 55 zone, and I'm getting passed all the time. If it's 65 I might go 69, and I'm still the slowpoke.

You will almost NEVER see anyone going the actual speed limit or slower on a highway. Again, I'm east coast biased, I don't think the central/plains states are as aggressive because traffic is more spread out, but I would have a hard time believing people are going below the speed limit.
joschac2

#10 Post by joschac2 » 16 Nov 2020 14:33

@Samus L. Jackson So true. When i go to Scranton for raceing. there was road work. the sign said 45 MPH speed limit. Guess what we all were doing. 60-65

When i was on the garden state parkway last summer. I was avging 75-80 MPH and still getting passed by everyone

I went across the USA 3 years ago and even tho the speed limit is 75-80 in the great pains. We still got passed while doing 82 MPH. A lot of people were doing 90. I got passed by a semi truck fully loaded at 80 MPH once

There has been many times to where i,v quitted ATS for a week or two just because of the AI

Return to “General discussion about the game”