I'm sorry this has to be said, the terrible state of AI traffic

NoDe31

Re: I'm sorry this has to be said, the terrible state of AI traffic

#181 Post by NoDe31 » 06 Aug 2022 10:08

Condition of AI code is not even funny anymore... It used to be just a little glitch here and there, but now its as it is normal... One AI car that lost its memory and cant remember where it should go, stops whole traffic on highway, both in right lane, and left...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx6HP7ybIKA
nautofon

#182 Post by nautofon » 06 Aug 2022 10:53

AI cars don't have memory, nor destination. Every time they reach a fork, they effectively decide at random which way to go.

In the situation you describe, it seems to me like the AI car considers itself to be in a car crash. I've seen this, too, recently. I think it's new.
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
NoDe31

#183 Post by NoDe31 » 06 Aug 2022 11:30

Yes it is new, and its happening pretty often... Btw, I was sarcastic about memory. ;)
J.Random

#184 Post by J.Random » 06 Aug 2022 16:51

It isn't new. Happens at weigh station west of Gallup almost every time. AI traffic prioritizes right lane, so when there's an opening, passenger cars tend to dive right. Except there's no routing for them through the weigh station, which is why they get stuck.
There are some new behaviour glitches in the current patch (I suspect that whoever broke spanish toll areas in 1.44 is responsible), but this isn't one of them.
NoDe31

#185 Post by NoDe31 » 06 Aug 2022 17:39

that does not explain why whole traffic on right and left (along side entering ramp) lane also stops...
J.Random

#186 Post by J.Random » 06 Aug 2022 18:00

Oh, the right lane probably tries to allow the idiot to remerge (except it stopped too close so it won't ever merge left). What left lane does looks like the behaviour added in I think 1.43. It now stops if the right lane has stopped.
The amount of ways for AI to gridlock itself out of nowhere only increases with every update. It doesn't matter, really. After all, you can't see broken AI in advertisement bullshots, can you?
Vinnie Terranova

#187 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 02 Oct 2022 18:00

Dear SCS. I just watched a small piece of one of the earlier recorded livestreams that can be watched on Steam. The AI is, how should I say this, really embarassing... At on intersection with traffic lights (I think it was in Wyoming or Montana) there came a truck from the right that wanted to make a right turn, so it would be in front of the player's truck. But what happened? The car in front of the player's truck stopped to give priority to the truck from the right. But the car had green traffic light, while that truck from the right had red traffic light. So the truck should have given priority to the car... And because the car was just in front of the player's truck, the player's truck crashed into the car...

And that on a live stream, meant to attract new players, right...? I know what kind of game ATS is. But a new player who just zapped through Steam and saw a little bit of ATS... What do you think this new potential buyer would think of this embarassing AI...?

I don't know... If I would have a product that I want to sell to people, and I know something is very wrong with my product (AI), I would certainly put a lot of effort in fixing my product; in this case fixing the AI...
Outlaw Transport

#188 Post by Outlaw Transport » 02 Oct 2022 18:34

Who cares about irrelevant details like gameplay or huge parts of the game being straight up broken when we're going to get city intros and a def file edit so we can own a cistern trailer or two. Sightseeing Simulator 1.46 is going to be lit.
Zerion

#189 Post by Zerion » 02 Oct 2022 19:16

If I had to pinpoint when the AI started going south I would say 1.38. Until 1.37 things were 'fine' and I consider this the last 'good' AI. You could get some odd behaviour here and there but I thought that made the AI even more realistic because, let's be honest, if you drive regularly in real life you are going to find some people distracted here and there or simply not driving like they should.

Since 1.38 I started to see some odd behaviour that only has been progressively getting worse. There are many examples that I don't think I should even comment because I'm probably going to repeat something that already has been said in this thread. I really love ATS and ETS2, they are incredible relaxing and enjoyable games, but I had to admit the AI is getting on my nerves plenty of times lately and that makes the experience not as enjoyable.

I really hope a redo or 'fix' of the AI is in the pipeline because a properly working AI would be more enjoyable for me than getting some new map DLCs
Last edited by Zerion on 02 Oct 2022 19:27, edited 2 times in total.
Optional Features

#190 Post by Optional Features » 02 Oct 2022 20:10

Woohoo! 😂

My favorite part is the space shuttle brakes. As soon as the brake lights come on, the AI vehicle can stop in a couple feet. Even a loaded semi or a bus is able to do this.

Braking like that irl would probably submit the driver to G-forces (if it was possible at all).

Return to “General discussion about the game”