SCS General Discussion Thread

Optional Features

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#23121 Post by Optional Features » 25 Nov 2022 20:55

AbsoTheFox wrote: 25 Nov 2022 19:51 We know around the release of the last phase that they were down to like, 2 people working on it because capacity went to MT and TX at the time, so likely they've just recently gotten back around to working on it with more people now that those full projects are out.
We should hear more about it on the Xmas stream at the latest.
Ah ok, makes sense. The next phase will be interesting: hopefully they do the port of Oakland justice.
Brendan0620

#23122 Post by Brendan0620 » 25 Nov 2022 21:08

SuchManor wrote: 24 Nov 2022 18:14 I'd be interested in seeing these "big" features they are talking about, and if they are actually big gameplay additions/ changes. Both games could certainly use that.
I am interested as well. I'm really interested to see if any upcoming features for gameplay will be discussed or at the most shown during the 2022 Christmas stream. Would be nice to hear about one big feature, I kind of hope it's not like last year's stream where NO big features were shown, although they partially discussed one or two features, I can't remember too much since I haven't watched the recording of last year's stream in months. Also, whatever happened to the Driving School feature? That was actually pretty cool when they discussed it back in 2020 and how it was going to be "Modular" according to Jakub. :|

I think 2022's Christmas stream should be good, There should be cool things in store for SCS to show us in 3-4 weeks. :)
[ external image ]
Intel Core i7 13700F -> MSI GeForce RTX 4060TI 16GB -> 32GB RAM -> Y40 Case
What is your Favorite Interstate in American Truck Simulator?
HubercikBercik

#23123 Post by HubercikBercik » 25 Nov 2022 21:36

Also, whatever happened to the Driving School feature? That was actually pretty cool when they discussed it back in 2020 and how it was going to be "Modular" according to Jakub. :|

According to what a polish SCS employee wrote on the Poland Rebuilding map discord server a few months ago, the work on the driving school got stuck at some stage and the project itself was possibly lost
Quark

#23124 Post by Quark » 25 Nov 2022 22:25

Not to mention that a good bunch of core members here told us how unnecessary this feature is, since they are already such perfect drivers....of course forgetting that it doesn't always have to be about them. It was not particularly well received here in the forum. So, could PERHAPS be one reason why it got stuck, if that really should be the case. Who knows.
plykkegaard

#23125 Post by plykkegaard » 25 Nov 2022 22:40

I was hoping for something in the style of Scania Drivers Competition
But I guess folks around here are not true proffesionals but just a bunch of whiners

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#23126 Post by Some newbie driver » 25 Nov 2022 23:18

Most people who criticize "Driving School" concept do it just because they can go beyond the very basic concept of a IRL driving school. So, as they already know "enough" how to drive in the game, they think that would be a pointless addition.

But that was a too simplistic way of thinking; there's lots of things that could fit under the umbrella of that title that could be interesting; not just for newbies.

A different history is what was the idea that SCS had, if they could be able to develop it into something interesting or if the game has the features to make it work. If some of those points are weak, at any moment the idea could be put on ice or completely discarded. Doubtfully the critics of a bunch of people here or there over Internet would had a great impact in the release or not of that Driving School.

Only time will tell.
Optional Features

#23127 Post by Optional Features » 26 Nov 2022 00:52

I think it should be included within a career mode, when a player starts a profile. That's the logical place for it, as it would be irl.
Brycero

#23128 Post by Brycero » 26 Nov 2022 03:06

Talk about a missed opportunity to have the founders sit in the order of S - C - S from left to right on-screen :lol:
oldmanclippy

#23129 Post by oldmanclippy » 26 Nov 2022 03:34

A driving school feature *could* be really interesting, if it was more like an increasing set of technical challenges rather than just "how to drive a truck 101". I criticized the driving school idea because a) I doubted that they would go beyond the latter and strive for the former, and b) there are other things I'd rather they prioritize. But that's just my opinion, some people would love a driving school feature without reservations.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Optional Features

#23130 Post by Optional Features » 26 Nov 2022 03:57

oldmanclippy wrote: 26 Nov 2022 03:34 A driving school feature *could* be really interesting, if it was more like an increasing set of technical challenges rather than just "how to drive a truck 101". I criticized the driving school idea because a) I doubted that they would go beyond the latter and strive for the former, and b) there are other things I'd rather they prioritize. But that's just my opinion, some people would love a driving school feature without reservations.
If they included essentially a practice CDL test (the driving portions) in the game, it could be actually helpful for people trying to practice for the real deal. While the physics have much room for improvement, backing is probably the most realistic thing in the game.

[ external image ]

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”