SCS General Discussion Thread

Some newbie driver

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#26321 Post by Some newbie driver » 18 Mar 2023 09:24

@JaDaKa I mostly agree with you that more specific factories is better. Instead of generic "foods" factory, we can have chocolate, cookies, frozen vegetables, pasta.... factories, giving a lot more variety. But I will rather not tie them to specific countries but find some more everywhere else the map (even if the total amount being low). For example. in this case, it's just that if they wanted to do a food factory that was less generic; the more iconic for Switzerland is indeed chocolate. But when they rework Belgium, there could be another one that will not be out of place at all.

Whatever it ends happening, the more specific factory approach have something way better IMHO than to be related to a country that has sense IRL: more specific logistic chains. Generic companies accept and deliver lots of goods; that isn't so much realistic and at the same time makes some cargoes hard to find in jobs because they are just one more among lots of other possible. More specific companies means smaller range of possible cargoes for every factory; meaning that if you want to search for specific jobs you will know where to go. On the long run, once that trend could be more established through the map; I think it will made the game more realistic and at the same time improve playability with owned trailers that aren't the generic box ones.

Regards

PD: @Sora what you described is essentially ad-hominem fallacy. If one can't (or want not) discuss arguments, one tries to diss the person who made those arguments pretending that behaving that way he's going to "win" the discussion. It's a plague all over Internet.
JaDaKa

#26322 Post by JaDaKa » 18 Mar 2023 09:51

Some newbie driver wrote: 18 Mar 2023 09:24 @JaDaKa I mostly agree with you that more specific factories is better. Instead of generic "foods" factory, we can have chocolate, cookies, frozen vegetables, pasta.... factories, giving a lot more variety. But I will rather not tie them to specific countries but find some more everywhere else the map (even if the total amount being low).
Really agree. In fact I thought about it but for some reason didn't include it.

Having each country being related to a specific product would be the "first step" to evolve the economy. Then as you say it could be more products and specific industries.

I think for the sake of realism I would like each country to be connected to some major "exporting" goods.
The industries will be divided in two categories:

- International: Goods that are considered quality and there is demand for them all across Europe. Could be from Swiss chocolate to just tomatoes/mushrooms from Poland, milk from Netherlands or codfish from Norway.
- National: Goods that are used to supply industries and local demand.

Being more specific it actually allows a lot more jobs imo. There will be some major hubs that offer international routes and then smaller local ones.

In the end not too different from what we have, but it will be more sensible than transporting empty pallets and straw bales across countries.
As you said it will make ownable trailers more purposeful.
Some newbie driver

#26323 Post by Some newbie driver » 18 Mar 2023 10:09

Empty pallet cargo and some others is a remnant of the game when it has way less company variety and the map was smaller. They are wild card cargoes that allowed the game to generate more routes variety to offer. The problem is that mechanism that has some sense many years ago now is a problem because generates lots of non-sense jobs that compete with others at the same level. I mean, it seems that (approx) an empty pallet cargo has the same change to be generated on a factory that also delivers furniture. But as empty pallets are generated everywhere, there's LOTS of those cargoes available and very few of furniture from the small amount of factories of that kind. The result is we always keep hauling empty pallets and very very few furniture.

And about what you explained about local/export goods; I think that it would be better stated in a different way: there's cargoes that has no sense to haul them thousands of km away because they can be found in lots of places.

For example, lots of empty pallet cargoes are hauled IRL everywhere; but they don't go far away because companies that handle them are everywhere too. Raw aggregates are similar, quarries where to find them are everywhere; there's no point on a trip from Spain to Sweden to carry sand. Cargoes should have attached a "max distance for the job" value that will help to avoid lots of non-sense jobs to be generated in favor of more realistic others. That max distance should still be big enough to avoid problems with any yards that had no destinations at reach; so it wouldn't be realistic in some cases; but it would be way better than the actual scenario without having to change the cargoes that every company delivers or accepts and without need to create more variety of companies. So, is a change that could be done "now" without having to wait the game having more company variety.

Regard
Ludo Diabolo

#26324 Post by Ludo Diabolo » 18 Mar 2023 10:48

Charlie and his chocolate factory lol nice blog on the reconstruction of Switzerland, can't wait to see how it will happen in the future on the freight market, I really hope for a major improvement on this side, to have a real circuit of the products, and also loaded or unloaded in the right places and prefabricated, because we are still far from it now .
ETS2:promods + Middle-East Add-On + TGS / ATS:promods Canada

SORRY MY ENGLISH, I'M FRENCH.
flight50

#26325 Post by flight50 » 18 Mar 2023 12:21

JaDaKa wrote: 18 Mar 2023 09:51 I think for the sake of realism I would like each country to be connected to some major "exporting" goods.
The industries will be divided in two categories:

- International: Goods that are considered quality and there is demand for them all across Europe. Could be from Swiss chocolate to just tomatoes/mushrooms from Poland, milk from Netherlands or codfish from Norway.
- National: Goods that are used to supply industries and local demand.
This is what I constantly advocate over in the ATS threads. SCS could make quite a few depots that can help populate cities and avoid using so many over used depots such as Wallberts, Plaster & Sons, etc. What I usually push for with ICCs is national, regional and state specific companies. On top of that though, I'd add one more category and that is the global. These are the products that are shipped world wide. They are the products that could someday link both games together thru WoT perhaps when both games are getting pretty good a port depots. At least much better than the base map ports.
oldmanclippy

#26326 Post by oldmanclippy » 19 Mar 2023 01:39

Some newbie driver wrote: 18 Mar 2023 10:09 Cargoes should have attached a "max distance for the job" value that will help to avoid lots of non-sense jobs to be generated in favor of more realistic others. That max distance should still be big enough to avoid problems with any yards that had no destinations at reach; so it wouldn't be realistic in some cases; but it would be way better than the actual scenario without having to change the cargoes that every company delivers or accepts and without need to create more variety of companies. So, is a change that could be done "now" without having to wait the game having more company variety.

Regard
This would make a huge difference with realism. I want to pull my hair out when I see an empty packaging job from Texas to Washington :lol:
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
pandaforlife

#26327 Post by pandaforlife » 19 Mar 2023 02:09

Can we have higher quality new trucks, please
Optional Features

#26328 Post by Optional Features » 19 Mar 2023 02:11

Well, it would be one thing if we were hauling new cardboard boxes from a manufacturer/distributor to a distribution center. But often it seems like we are hauling from store to store. And that makes little sense in general.
Trucker Nik

#26329 Post by Trucker Nik » 19 Mar 2023 07:03

Do you think we could get Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi together in one DLC?
harishw8r

#26330 Post by harishw8r » 19 Mar 2023 07:15

It’s possible with the available resources but I highly doubt it will happen. Excluding Mississippi, there’s a chance.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”