SCS General Discussion Thread

Vinnie Terranova

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#17921 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 03 Jul 2022 10:13

seriousmods wrote: 03 Jul 2022 09:06Except at least in America, the concept of a truck garage doesn't really exist. Companies don't purchase a five-bay shop to house five trucks, then leave four bays permanently empty as SCS does.
It's actually even worse in ATS and ETS2 I think: how realistic is it to buy 50 five-bay garages in as many cities, buy 250 trucks, and hire 250 drivers for those trucks? And I'm not even talking about buying trailers. But none of all those trucks, drivers and trailers can be seen in one of my 50 garages or on the road... None of them... It's just some variables in the game programming code.

It would be a very nice and immersive addition for me to be able to build my own garage, including working repair facility and some other buildings, and put some trucks in it that are visible when I am at my garage. I also want to see some people working at my garage. I want to have space to store my own trailers, which I also want to be able to see when I am at my garage. It will make it a lot more immersive.
abasstreppas

#17922 Post by abasstreppas » 03 Jul 2022 10:42

There are mechanic/garage sims to buy if that's what you're after :?
Seerman

#17923 Post by Seerman » 03 Jul 2022 10:50

It seems to me that many guys here should take a break from games and spend a little time in the real world. ;)
I translate via Google Translate. Sometimes he does it badly. I beg understand and forgive. :geek:

#17924 Post by abasstreppas » 03 Jul 2022 10:52

Real world, is that a DLC? :lol:
Some newbie driver

#17925 Post by Some newbie driver » 03 Jul 2022 11:01

He don't said a garage operational simulator; but the fact that in the garage yards could appear some of the stuff we own if not in route. That would be a basic start point and should not be very difficult if we talk about static objects. Workers moving on the garage would be more a problem like anything (vehicles, workers, forklifts) moving on yards (another thing long requested). We know the AI is limited and clumsy. And that's not gonna change until they could leverage a lot more CPU. Something I'm sure most of their programmers are working on. The features we see on every update are "small" things they could keep doing on a slow pace and that mostly don't consume any or so many extra CPU; while they spend most of the time on the underlying changes we can't immediately see. At this moment, at least, a whole new rendering code as per the info we know.

The changes to multi-core (what the engine needs to do the next big jump) is like to rewrite the whole engine from scratch almost. From the code point of view, it's like develop a new game from zero. That takes YEARS if the company stops any code working and focus only on that. Would we had wanted to see not a single feature added in YEARS? Surely not; so they have to keep adding things while slowly preparing those changes. That means still more YEARS than the other option. Consider the start of all this process about 1 year before the DX11 change and count up today.

Would SCS does the big change this year for the tenth anniversary (just hypothetical); for sure the professional complainers would say it take them too long. When in trueness, from the professional point of view, they would had demonstrated to be VERY competent considering the timeline. I don't think the big multi-core change could arrive this year, no matter how much I would like to be wrong.

Regards
pigbrother

#17926 Post by pigbrother » 03 Jul 2022 11:16

abasstreppas wrote: 03 Jul 2022 10:52 Real world, is that a DLC? :lol:
The worst DLC. Also expensive as heck. Thumb down, zero stars.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
xXCARL1992Xx

#17927 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 03 Jul 2022 11:19

buggy and unfinished also
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Vinnie Terranova

#17928 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 03 Jul 2022 11:27

abasstreppas wrote: 03 Jul 2022 10:42There are mechanic/garage sims to buy if that's what you're after :?
Oh, really? Then is it possible with those mechanic/garage sims to buy trucks and trailers, and drive them on the roads of the United States or Europe, to get / deliver cargo from / to all kinds of companies and industries? Then I might be interested in such mechanic/garage sims... Can you name one? And no, I'm not looking for a mechanic simulator like Truck Mechanic Simulator 2015. Repairing your truck in ATS and ETS2 is a very basic, even a too basic, thing, but that's stuff for another discussion.
Shiva

#17929 Post by Shiva » 03 Jul 2022 11:37

Garages? Transport businesses.
I checked those close to me.
Some have zero garages for trucks and trailers, some have 2-3. 1 had earlier 5, but seems it rebuilt 1 of the mid, so it has no door.
None of those are drive thru as in SCS games. Why does SCS have it? I think so there is no need to reverse.
Some are similar or even smaller than the lot we have in SCS games. A few are a little bit bigger, maybe twice or 3x the area.
A few have currently not used trailers parked. 1 had a rigid + trailer parked. I did check streetview and satellite view.
I think it could be an idea to have 3slot garage for +5 trucks.
1slot garage for +2 trucks, or even 3?
Edit the current 6garage models, so it has 3 bays instead + have room for trailer on the razed area. Could that be something?
Or have this as an option for garages in the future? 3bay + trailer parking + +5drivers/trucks garage.

pigbrother, the IRL DLC?
It can be great, but it can be horrible too. Sometimes even at the same time.

Vinnie Terranova, too basic, repairs? Yeah, sometimes.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
gaillard

#17930 Post by gaillard » 03 Jul 2022 11:59

A small starting point would be to have owned garages act as repair workshops.

It just needs adding the green thingy and functionality truck shops have now. Most of the basic equipment is already displayed in our garages.
At least for normal wear and tear.
Maybe repairs above X% (after a crash?) would need "professional" handling elsewhere... No influence on frame rate, not a big thing to code maybe?
For ETS it could even be a little less expensive. Repair costs in ATS are already negligible.

Sorry for discussing non-Farm Sim subjects here... :oops:

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”