SCS General Discussion Thread

flight50

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#20221 Post by flight50 » 26 Sep 2022 09:47

I have to agree with Vinnie. Depending on a mod is a bad idea. I can see SCS leaving it up to mods under the current game engine status though. That I can agree on. But once they finish this DX12 and associated upgrades to Prism, no reason they can't use what they created.

I don't tinker much with the game files but Cip's file structure, even I completely understand. I'd love it if SCS copied over Cip's code into the base game. But remeber everyone the "Rush Hour" feature I speak of should be optional. Use and tweak at your own risk. SCS just has to set it up independently of a mod. SCS should take inspiration and credit Cip for the template. It works very well. A slider section in the game menu can control traffic density, select your own peak hrs, select the affected roads with check boxes, select random speed and select driver aggression. Let people have control to fine tune themselves. People like options. Prime example is all the options to fine tune Fmod. Provide the means to change up per player.
Aziz

#20222 Post by Aziz » 26 Sep 2022 10:57

Never gonna happen. Copying, inspiring, crediting, it's all bound with legal procedures, especially if there's a company involved. I've seen a company hiring a modder and letting him recreate his very famous mod as integral part of the game. Safe to say, most players still prefer using the mod. He couldn't just copy it over and call it a day.
So the whole "depending on a mod" mindset is funny, there's no such thing. SCS does what they think is fitting for most players (usually) and let the others do whatever they want. You can ramp up traffic density without touching a mod, by changing a config file, but overdo it and your game is unplayable. Any changes you make are at your own risk, so is using mods (it says it even in the game lol)
Also, making everything tweakable turns a trucking game into settings simulator. There's got to be a line somewhere. A whole section with sliders, checkboxes etc would maybe fit in a traffic simulator in a company that works with traffic flow models in the real world, not a driving game.
Some newbie driver

#20223 Post by Some newbie driver » 26 Sep 2022 11:37

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 26 Sep 2022 09:20@Madkine But that would mean that SCS depends on a modder, which in my opinion is a bad idea...
If the tools are there is NOT because SCS created them for moders so they could depend on them. It's because SCS themselves used them already or created it flexible enough on purpose to be able to use them in the future. For them is less work to give margin on the code to be used differently in the future than having to change it every time they want to tweak anything.

The example that explained Aziz is a fact on the current state of the game. The problem isn't the mix or schedule of the traffic, the problem is the AI. Those infinite waits on a highway ramp were a thing even with the normal vanilla traffic, specially time ago. They tweaked a bit the AI behavior several updates ago, so it will require not so much safety distance to start trying to merge from the ramp. The waits on ramps improved but now it's way easier to find AI crashing one or another or AI exiting a ramp ramming you if too close. It's pointless to have more vehicles in the road if all of them are going to be so dumb. The look could be nice but to deal with them should be a pain in the ass. And probably the opinion of SCS devs was similar so they kept the traffic low until they could have more resources for an AI overhaul.

Remember the explanations about lighting changes; they said the internal render is calculating everything in HDR; even if the game doesn't offer still that output for HDR compatible displays. The same than vastly most of the games everywhere; because HDR isn't a thing established enough. But the day it will be and the performance will be there to be used, they could "barely" flip a switch and gave us HDR because the hard work was made in the past, the foundations of the game were changed already thinking on that possibility. Far fetched? For sure. But they maybe spent 5% extra time now so they will have not to revisit the whole lighting code again in the future for that thing.

In 99% of the cases, we know only about what its publicly released; but they do a lot more things on the background. There are traces when they were testing bus and coaches; somebody find the variables they used for the CC tests, we were talked about them testing dirt lots of years ago... Just tidbits of all what they do. Some of those things will be released soon, some will be kept on hold and some will be discarded without we having any idea at all. SCS doesn't depend on any moder; they depend on themselves to keep working trying to optimize at most the time spent on every feature released versus its impact. The ones who depend on moders are players that want things the game doesn't offer and maybe never will.

Regards
55sixxx

#20224 Post by 55sixxx » 26 Sep 2022 11:45

SCS depending on modders for anything, is not a good idea.

And like I said many times before, the more features, options, updates and vehicles SCS implements into the game, the best. Because that way each thing will tick off something from the mod folder. I myself use zero mods, but there are some aspects that took me quite a while to get used to (Like wack sounds) and tbh, sometimes I still feel tempted to roll on offline mode just to use sound mods.
MarkON

#20226 Post by MarkON » 26 Sep 2022 15:04

...But don't fret, because our World of Trucks team is already deep in preparations for what's coming next for you all! For now, we don't want to spoil too much but maybe let's count on having quite a "busy" Autumn...
Nice!
Mooner_37

#20227 Post by Mooner_37 » 26 Sep 2022 15:05

They say "busy", I guess a WoT event of Cruising Texas, one for the 10th anniversary of ETS2, one x-mas deliver event :p
Current Headquarters: Liège, Berlin, L.A. Luxemburg, Seattle
Current Trucks: ETS2: 15 ATS: 2
Driving Truck: ETS2: DAF XF ATS: Peterbilt 579
Current Mileage: ETS2: 462,317 km (287,270 miles) - ATS: 384,392 km (238,850 miles)
Level: ETS2: 65 - ATS: 55
oldmanclippy

#20228 Post by oldmanclippy » 26 Sep 2022 15:23

Exactly what @Mooner_37 said. Although I wouldn't necessarily count on an anniversary event. It would make a lot of sense but it's not a lock like Cruising Texas and Xmas.

I didn't even bother completing the Hannover event. Too repetitive and a missed opportunity to do something more interesting.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Shiva

#20229 Post by Shiva » 26 Sep 2022 15:44

Hannover event? not so bad to do, actually :)
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
flight50

#20230 Post by flight50 » 26 Sep 2022 15:46

Aziz wrote: 26 Sep 2022 10:57 Never gonna happen. Copying, inspiring, crediting, it's all bound with legal procedures, especially if there's a company involved. I've seen a company hiring a modder and letting him recreate his very famous mod as integral part of the game. Safe to say, most players still prefer using the mod. He couldn't just copy it over and call it a day.
So the whole "depending on a mod" mindset is funny, there's no such thing. SCS does what they think is fitting for most players (usually) and let the others do whatever they want. You can ramp up traffic density without touching a mod, by changing a config file, but overdo it and your game is unplayable. Any changes you make are at your own risk, so is using mods (it says it even in the game lol)
Also, making everything tweakable turns a trucking game into settings simulator. There's got to be a line somewhere. A whole section with sliders, checkboxes etc would maybe fit in a traffic simulator in a company that works with traffic flow models in the real world, not a driving game.
I fully understand the legal procedures. I've been around for awhile so I get it. The copying I referred to is a figure speech, not literal. I agree that SCS will do what they need to do to make it work within the parameters they need it. I understand how they operate. That's why I said "SCS should take inspiration and credit Cip for the template"

As far as sliders and checkbox, you realize its the same thing a binary code already in the game and settings in the game files right? Sliders and check boxes just make it so that you don't have to literally go into the game files to change values. Not everyone goes into the files to make changes or even know where to look for adjustments. So yes, sliders can work in the game. Just like detours and random events happen, rush hour is something like in between those 2. However they set those up, I'm sure they can create "Rush Hour" with sliders. I'm not a programmer but based on the way Cip set up the mod (you have to see for yourself), there is no reason for me to believe sliders can't be pulled off. I can't say the same for other traffic mods though. Cip did it in a way that works for sliders imo. But like I said, download cips mod and analyze the data for yourself.

I do agree that the AI really needs to be fixed first before increasing traffic though. Otherwise the problem multiples.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”