SCS General Discussion Thread

oldmanclippy

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#17831 Post by oldmanclippy » 30 Jun 2022 16:39

An engine update is what people usually mean when they say new engine. Very rarely do game series completely up and move to a new engine. For as many drawbacks as Prism3D has, its advantages would make switching to a different engine painful, not to mention a steep learning curve. It's not gonna happen, nor should it happen.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
SuchManor

#17832 Post by SuchManor » 30 Jun 2022 17:53

Engine updates are desperately needed. Constantly we hear from SCS that something cant be done due to engine limitations.
What good is a world without good detail?
Check out my screenshots
abasstreppas

#17833 Post by abasstreppas » 30 Jun 2022 18:03

Ofc, as it is now. I bet a private exclusive mod on (don't have any money :P ) that the Prism3D is still cooking and only future could tell if I'm right. SCS will come up with something for sure, because they need that with the increase of density on each map expansion ;)
rookie_one

#17834 Post by rookie_one » 30 Jun 2022 22:38

AFAWK they are working on engine update, but it's not something easy to do.

Be patients, young padawans
Engine and Transmission compilation mod : here
55sixxx

#17835 Post by 55sixxx » 01 Jul 2022 00:21

Yet again the new engine talk... SMH.

Could everybody, for once, focus on stuff that will benefit all of us and also give us more purpose to play the game!?

Like for instance, way more cargoes to the newer trailers in WoTR, because if it's not a Box Trailer or a Flatbed/Lowboy there's nothing else to haul on External Cargo Market. Just today, I hooked up a food grade tanker to see how it would look, I liked it a lot and when I went browsing for loads, there was just 1 (ONE) and it wasn't even in the same city I was in... But when I clicked on the Offline Cargo Market there was literally 3 (THREE) pages of job offers. SCS keeps updating the trailers and giving us more options to buy but they seem to forget that to actually use them, you need cargo in the first place.

More interactions with WoTR, like creation of VTC's, the ability to dispatch jobs for other players and yourself, a worldwide ranking of statistics and a monthly rank that awards players who take the top three spots. (Pretty much an official TrucksBook made by SCS themselves.)

Like this:
unknown (1).png
unknown.png
Screenshot_5.png
The END of computing only the estimated mileage and actually count only how much you actually DROVE and finally putting an end to players abusing the ferries to rack up their KM's.

More events, in the style of Big Sur or Genoa Bridge or anything else that is not the usual Crusing "X" country/state thing that is already getting quite annoying.

Multi-Drops with both WoTR and Offline Market (For those who don't like WoTR). Ex: Take a Vyborg-Faro-Vyborg job or vice-versa; Hannover to Coruña/Porto.

Because ALL I've been seeing in this forum lately is either graphics related, engine related or fluff fluff things that actually adds nothing to the purpose of the game, which is DRIVING and DELIVERING goods.

But, I've been in this place long enough to know the people around here are not into actually driving and enjoying the road and the the overall driving experience... So I may be just daydreaming.
supersobes
Global moderator

#17836 Post by supersobes » 01 Jul 2022 00:37

Considering that the engine is the basis for everything in the game, I don't see how engine updates doesn't relate to "stuff that will benefit all of us and also give us more purpose to play the game." A lot of the features that people request would likely require changes to the fundamentals of the game software, which is exactly what engine updates means. Game engine refers to much more than just graphics alone.
Optional Features

#17837 Post by Optional Features » 01 Jul 2022 01:12

I believe the reason engine conversations come up weekly is because players who love this game and industry (as do I) look at this game and wish we could have our cake and eat it too so to speak. We want more features, more cargo, new types of drops, functionality, interactivity, etc while keeping all of the things we like about ATS or ETS2. And right now (maybe to change in the future), we don't see that from SCS.

The dropdeck flatbeds were a good example. We got two new trailer groups (default and branded) without a single new cargo, arrangement, or other perk.

Then came the tankers. Nice models to have, but no new places to drop, maybe a new cargo (I haven't looked), but pretty much the same thing as all other enclosed trailers with a new shape. Back up to dock to load. Click button. Loaded. Drive to place. Back up to dock. Click button. Unloaded.

Next will be Montana, a new place which apparently will feature new companies. While we don't have all the details yet, I can imagine Montana won't be a game changer. It'll be a map squarer and a fresh group of roads, but it won't do anything to wildly improve gameplay complexity.

And following that will be Texas which again will be similar to what we have seen before, but on a fresh canvas.

Seeing this, and seeing other games offering things we want without the excellent base SCS has built for itself, makes people impatient, and in that feeling of impatience comes a desire for quick fixes. Many people assume that a new engine would make the game run better, look better, feel better, etc.

Some of us assume that cargo and companies will make things better or walk mode or some other feature.

And some think that SCS should start over with a new game.

But it's really none of these things that will make a sudden improvement to the game. What will make an improvement is SCS wanting the game to improve, and then putting their massive talent pool behind that idea.

We got Fmod, and did sounds improve? A little, but not as much as it could have been (modders have pushed it to its limit). We got a new lighting system, and did the graphics improve? Somewhat, but there is still room for more. Soon it will be DX12 and then after that some other thing. All of these things are nice, but at the end of the day they become like feathers in a cap more than features.

I wish SCS well, and I hope to see the game improve, but I sometimes think the kind of game I and others are asking for will never actually materialize.

If SCS wants to make a tourism game with trucks as the main way to explore, and we want a trucking simulator where you can do six drops in one day and then return back to the terminal, someone is going to be disappointed.

And an engine update or replacement will not fix that.
Reis_6

#17838 Post by Reis_6 » 01 Jul 2022 01:52

"Our long-term vision is to create a complex new meta-game on top of the existing game with online gameplay, rich economy, RPG elements, virtual trucking companies, and eventually multiplayer support. To get from point A to point B, we'll need to pass a lot of milestones, test out many things, and we would be happy to have you along for the ride."

https://blog.scssoft.com/2015/11/world- ... a-122.html

Almost 7 years of this post... We still on Alpha of WoTr, we still without no more informations about this project and we still with a amazing tool 'basically' stopped, because the interations together the community continues to slow... (WOTR INTERACTIONS!!!!)

I understand that there are several projects underway that can be amazing, I look forward to the 10 year anniversary of ETS2, I believe something amazing will come, but also if something amazing doesn't come, I will not be surprised... Because this is how we get used to SCS... there is no point in creating many expectations.

The only thing that discourages me about WoTr is that I understand that it can be an amazing tool but it is still 'stopped'... Come on SCS, surprise us with something with WoTr related, I don't know exactly, but in 2019 or 2020 you guys said it would be the "year of WoTr" and I can't even remember what came so surprising... it must have been any 'Cruising X' event... Ah, I miss the Trade Connections events!
Optional Features

#17839 Post by Optional Features » 01 Jul 2022 04:39

Reis_6 wrote: 01 Jul 2022 01:52 Almost 7 years of this post... We still on Alpha of WoTr, we still without no more informations about this project and we still with a amazing tool 'basically' stopped, because the interations together the community continues to slow... (WOTR INTERACTIONS!!!!)
I have a strong belief that old SCS took more risks and had bigger goals than current day SCS.

Look at the date on this blog post.

[ external image ]

Compare that to a recent blog post about water towers. Others about water, or foliage, or farms that we can drive by.

Complacency has set in over time, and it's evident in present day development.

That could be a reason why ETS2 is a better game than ATS. It was released four years before. Things like cab suspension were a priority. We still don't have a hint of that in ATS today. Likely never will.

Look at some of their games before ETS2 as well. Look at Extreme Trucker and Extreme Trucker 2. SCS had snow and ice roads with incredibly rough patches and holes. We don't have a single pothole on the entire current map of either game, and the only bumps are offroad.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Look at Trucks and Trailers. SCS offered the ability to interact with more than one trailer: that was a decade ago. We don't have that today.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

18WoS had used trucks I hear and the ability to pick how long to sleep at a motel. They had snow in some of these games as well and cb chatter. We don't have those things now.

They had no brands, terrible graphics, but they had smoke and trailer tires that could break traction and slide. It's incredible: like a totally different company.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
angrybirdseller

#17840 Post by angrybirdseller » 01 Jul 2022 05:03

The prism 3d game engine is getting upgraded continuously overtime with incrementally with new features, and increased AI density and improvements will come with time. It's trailer and map DLC bring in money possible to upgrade ATS and ETS2 be able to finally have multi player.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”