SCS General Discussion Thread

Tristman

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#26471 Post by Tristman » 26 Mar 2023 10:15

Holzauge wrote: 26 Mar 2023 10:00
Fun fact: I am afraid my truck (and the AI vehicles) are probably undead (at least in ATS). Why? Behind a shiny tank trailer you don't see a reflection of your truck or any other vehicle, but you see the reflection of the landscape... ;)
It's just a reality check so players can keep in mind that none of this is real ;)
jackbus

#26472 Post by jackbus » 26 Mar 2023 10:22

So the hidden ETS2 depot just added is now under internal testing?
Trucker Nik

#26473 Post by Trucker Nik » 26 Mar 2023 10:46

I noticed a different traffic light algorithm in ATS, specifically when there is only one lane turning left at the intersection and I'm not sure, but I have the feeling that the green time has been adjusted, and the green is longer, but it's probably just my imagination
Some newbie driver

#26474 Post by Some newbie driver » 26 Mar 2023 10:56

About the infinite overtaking maneuvers, as far as I've tested, it seems AI control calculates the speed of vehicles from the center of the road, not each individual lane. That causes a side effect responsible of those too long overtaking times.

If the speed is calculated from the center of the road but the AI vehicle is driving on the outside part of a turn, it has to recover more distance to keep the theoretical intended speed. So, it means that AI vehicle is going to drive faster than the desired sped. On the opposite, the AI vehicle on the inner part of a turn will move slower.

If lots of alternative left/right turns are chained, it takes a lot of time for an AI truck to overtake another because the overtaken truck will frequently over-speed the overtaking one. It happens the same to us if we try to advance an AI truck on a 90km/h limited road if the automatic speed limiter is active (as far as you will be turning left, as being on the inside, you will notice the AI truck increases speed).

I have no idea if they can fix that side effect just with a better AI control code or if it implies change something to all the data embedded in every chunk of road.

Regards
Truckingme

#26475 Post by Truckingme » 26 Mar 2023 11:09

jackbus wrote: 26 Mar 2023 10:22 So the hidden ETS2 depot just added is now under internal testing?
It means it s in closed beta or in testing at scs? I am a bit hyped
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#26476 Post by Mohegan13 » 26 Mar 2023 11:41

It doesn't actually mean anything.

It was also added to public_beta branch, but I'm guessing those on 1.47 OB don't have it.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Bandit & The Snowman

#26477 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 26 Mar 2023 12:28

AI running parallel for minutes just means they are not aware that they are overtaking. They are just using a lane each. Compare this behavior: If you overtake a vehicle on a multi-lane road, it doesn't care about your speed at all, it will just go along. However if you overtake a vehicle on a rural road with just one lane per direction, it will slow down to make it easier for you to overtake, because of possible or actual oncoming traffic. It has a rule for this. On multi-lane roads this is not necessary as the one who overtakes is responsible for finishing the process. Like in real life, the posted speed limit must not be exceeded, so a deadlock is possible. Creating a rule that makes the vehicle in the more outside lane go slower if another vehicle is next to it for a long time may seem necessary, but might have unwanted side effects like stop-and-go traffic.
Joan93

#26478 Post by Joan93 » 26 Mar 2023 13:01

Bandit & The Snowman wrote: 26 Mar 2023 12:28 AI running parallel for minutes just means they are not aware that they are overtaking. They are just using a lane each. Compare this behavior: If you overtake a vehicle on a multi-lane road, it doesn't care about your speed at all, it will just go along. However if you overtake a vehicle on a rural road with just one lane per direction, it will slow down to make it easier for you to overtake, because of possible or actual oncoming traffic. It has a rule for this. On multi-lane roads this is not necessary as the one who overtakes is responsible for finishing the process. Like in real life, the posted speed limit must not be exceeded, so a deadlock is possible. Creating a rule that makes the vehicle in the more outside lane go slower if another vehicle is next to it for a long time may seem necessary, but might have unwanted side effects like stop-and-go traffic.
And what if that rule, instead of reducing the speed of the overtaken vehicle, forces the one who overtakes to go at max allowed speed? And also that the difference between the 2 has to be minimum, let's say, 3 km/h.

Is that so difficult to do?
Some newbie driver

#26479 Post by Some newbie driver » 26 Mar 2023 13:11

It's not a matter of difficulty
wato

#26480 Post by wato » 26 Mar 2023 14:59

Some newbie driver wrote: 26 Mar 2023 10:56 If lots of alternative left/right turns are chained, it takes a lot of time for an AI truck to overtake another because the overtaken truck will frequently over-speed the overtaking one. It happens the same to us if we try to advance an AI truck on a 90km/h limited road if the automatic speed limiter is active (as far as you will be turning left, as being on the inside, you will notice the AI truck increases speed).
There is a simpler explanation in my opinion: AI adjusts speed according to the curvature of their path. That gives the same result in this situation.

Already, overtaking AI slightly speeds up (which is also why they slow down again when merging back).
But as in reality there will always be unfortunate situations where the power and weight distribution together with topology leads to a long back and forth.

The best solution I see without wasting time to create some overfitted algorithm, is to make the overtakee slow down (but that's not realistic either 8-) ).

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”