SCS General Discussion Thread

Midiangel

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#16431 Post by Midiangel » 24 May 2022 10:14

New content is always released during or after the stream.

#16432 Post by MRX911 » 24 May 2022 10:25

I beg to differ, for instance the Volvo Construction Equipment DLC for ATS and ETS2 had the blog and dlc release before the stream planned the same day.
Stick to the route. Stop for nothing. Make the drop.
MarkON

#16433 Post by MarkON » 24 May 2022 10:28

Renault header also on the blog:
[ external image ]
Trucker Nik

#16434 Post by Trucker Nik » 24 May 2022 10:29

@Midiangel It's not always like that, buddy
Midiangel

#16435 Post by Midiangel » 24 May 2022 10:33

Seems like I'm always wrong here... :lol:

#16436 Post by 55sixxx » 24 May 2022 13:14

Another day to the waiting period.. Let's go.

On a sidenote.... Is that a new wheel with a chrome lip?
[ external image ]
Some newbie driver

#16437 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 May 2022 13:18

Midiangel wrote: 24 May 2022 06:52I just want to say that I'm glad that SCS finally learned how to make a draw distance and got rid of the effect of pop-up mountains.
The draw distance of normal objects is limited by the game engine (to 1500m if I recall correctly) and has not changed at all in lots of years if ever since the game's release.

The game engine also offers the possibility to add background objects that work in a different way than the ones limited by the 1500m draw distance; but they have limits too in how, hoy many and where they can be used.

Mixing both things with a well chosen layout for the roads and surrounding terrain, a lot of the pop-up effect could be hidden from player's point of view; but not always. People that work with map mods could explain this with way more detail.

Since Washington DLC for ATS, they also had been able to forcefully modify the drawing distance in specific selected and limited zones of the map. They do it for the depiction of Mount Saint Helens (there's an old blog entry about that). It's possible they had used that trick more times, Austria rework included. Maybe somebody could check it on the map editor; I've no idea and SCS has not stated any other time (as far as I'm aware) that they used again the same trick than in Mount Saint Helens)

But in general terms and for the vast majority of the map; the 1500m pop-up limit remains the same and will be so until they won't release a graphic engine that performs way better and that allows them to increase that limit on a general basis. I'm sure that point will be widely showcased the day they change it so we will be aware of the change that for sure has not happened so far.

Regards
SirVirgoTheMess

#16438 Post by SirVirgoTheMess » 24 May 2022 13:22

55sixxx wrote: 24 May 2022 13:14 Another day to the waiting period.. Let's go.

On a sidenote.... Is that a new wheel with a chrome lip?
Looks like a new wheel, yes. I won't be suprised if it comes with the Renault tuning DLC, and not an update to the wheels tuning pack.
Midiangel

#16439 Post by Midiangel » 24 May 2022 13:24

Some newbie driver wrote: 24 May 2022 13:18
Midiangel wrote: 24 May 2022 06:52I just want to say that I'm glad that SCS finally learned how to make a draw distance and got rid of the effect of pop-up mountains.
The draw distance of normal objects is limited by the game engine (to 1500m if I recall correctly) and has not changed at all in lots of years if ever since the game's release.

The game engine also offers the possibility to add background objects that work in a different way than the ones limited by the 1500m draw distance; but they have limits too in how, hoy many and where they can be used.

Mixing both things with a well chosen layout for the roads and surrounding terrain, a lot of the pop-up effect could be hidden from player's point of view; but not always. People that work with map mods could explain this with way more detail.

Since Washington DLC for ATS, they also had been able to forcefully modify the drawing distance in specific selected and limited zones of the map. They do it for the depiction of Mount Saint Helens (there's an old blog entry about that). It's possible they had used that trick more times, Austria rework included. Maybe somebody could check it on the map editor; I've no idea and SCS has not stated any other time (as far as I'm aware) that they used again the same trick than in Mount Saint Helens)

But in general terms and for the vast majority of the map; the 1500m pop-up limit remains the same and will be so until they won't release a graphic engine that performs way better and that allows them to increase that limit on a general basis. I'm sure that point will be widely showcased the day they change it so we will be aware of the change that for sure has not happened so far.

Regards
I definitely like the look of the Teton and the Alps.
As an ordinary player, it doesn't matter to me how it's done, it's important that I now see beautiful landscapes and I have a sense of distance. Let it be a feeling. I'm not against.

#16440 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 May 2022 13:45

I agree in that; they look gorgeous and that's the final result what matters first to us. I saw that just to have a reference and to know what we can expect. I've the impression they had done the same trick that in Washington DLC. But that comes with a cost in performance and some people are noticing it hard in several places of Austria. It couldn't be other way, the better the looks the more PC is needed until they don't do bigger internal changes. And probably there's pop-up of mountains in some places of Austria too, because as I said, they had not changed the essential root cause. But if they had found better tricks to avoid it in many cases, the problem isn't so obvious than in the older Austria map and we enjoy more to play there.

And probably it also takes them a lot more time to map to achieve those results with mountains than in other gentle landscapes. I saw some people wanting Switzerland to come next and expecting it to be fast "because is small". I agree it will be next place to be reworked, but I've not such hopes in how "fast" could it be released if they pretend to keep the same quality level than with Austria. I'm sure the Pyrenees were left out by the same reason: a lot of work to be done on a sparse zone for a DLC that was already having big delays; they had to cut somewhere, unfortunately.

Regards

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”