SCS General Discussion Thread

skyking_eam

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#17851 Post by skyking_eam » 01 Jul 2022 15:17

Seerman wrote: 01 Jul 2022 14:32 As in any kind of business, until a real serious competitor appears, no one will itch.
Until then, the situation will be like this:
xs3b.png
abasstreppas

#17852 Post by abasstreppas » 01 Jul 2022 15:49

Funny though, I've been into ETS2 since December 2012 and I understood quite early that this is a computer game, not a simulator, even if it says so in the title. Exactly the same as any other downloadable game that uses simulator in its title, Farm sim, Flight sim, you name it. So please let SCS do their way. I totally trust what they are doing, even if I too could get frustrated from time to time, but I have to trust them.

Just think about all the licencing work they've been doing and the name they're doing for themselves in the real life truck business. All the contact they managed to get during the years. No other "competitor" will have a chance to accomplice that for years to come. SCS today is getting closer to be the real deal and they even taking care of old outdated stuff on the way. I as mod producer knows how hard it is to put your teeth into old stuff, when it's much more fun to be creative with new stuff.

Some of you guys really need to focus on the right things to ask/wish/crave for if you are to be taken seriously. Some of you wants things that 90 % of all players doesn't even care about.

This game is about driving a truck from A to B and that is still the focus of the game. During the years stuff has been added between A and B and more stuff will be added still ;)
Optional Features

#17853 Post by Optional Features » 01 Jul 2022 16:38

oldmanclippy wrote: 01 Jul 2022 14:45 Yep it's the potential that these games have to be even better than they already are that sparks so much passion in people. Tons of attention to detail and passion goes into most aspects of the map and truck design, so since SCS has shown that they have the talent, passion, and drive to do that, it makes the parts that seem like there is less talent, passion, or drive behind them stand out in comparison. The map and truck quality elevates the gameplay, but the gameplay quality should also elevate the map and trucks. It's an extremely solid foundation that is missing some aspects of authenticity and realism. We really need to see some sort of game changer come with Texas. Whether that's wind, rush hour, LTL, or any of the other game-changer ideas people have, or something we haven't even thought of. Something to push the experience to the next level. I know SCS can do it if they put the resources on it, the question is have they been working on it.
Exactly! Like the cargo (the lack of it). We know based on the models we have and some of the stuff laying around the map that SCS can make high quality, low poly models with ease.

So then we wonder why haven't they made more cargo?

Or physics: we know what ETS2 has in regards to cab physics, so I wonder why ATS doesn't have cab suspension.

SCS has shown that they have talent and skill, but I feel at times it is misdirected or not used to its full potential. Hopefully as you state, something impressive will come out soon.

@abasstreppas The difference between this game and other games, the word simulator disregarded, is what you can do with them.

With a flight sim, a player can click every button in the cab. A player can make the weather gorgeous or horrible. And a player can fail if they crash into something.

With farming sim, aside from the mods that allow players to do just about anything imaginable (including flying), the player has a ton of control over their gameplay experience. With FS22's placeable and landscaping tools, a player can almost make a map while playing the game. He can connect an infinite number of trailers. He can spawn an infinite number of individually functional vehicles of different types. He can experience wind, snow, heavy rain, and more. And he can fail if his crops are planted too late or weeds take over or a number of other things.

With ATS and ETS2, the only thing that can currently be done is hitting some keys and driving from A to B. Which would be fine if the driving was intriguing. It isn't. Without bumps, low clearances, narrow roads, vehicle problems, traffic, or a wide variety of docks, after a few times driving a player has seen and done it all.

Many of us keep playing (I speak for myself), because of the truck building aspect. But that also gets boring.

If they implemented some of the features of a farming sim or of a flight sim, plus the driving, it would be far more intriguing and I believe far more people would play. Or even if they added some features of their old games (like snow, multiple trailers spawning, tires that aren't stuck to the ground, etc), it would help.

Or better yet, make the driving superb, like almost BeamNg physics level. Then it would be challenging enough that we would have no time for more.

With none of these things present, it's like ho hum: gotta find the one trailer with a big arrow over it and take it to the giant white box and press enter, again.

That is only fun for a while.
harishw8r

#17854 Post by harishw8r » 01 Jul 2022 17:13

From a dev regarding ATS Cab suspensions, a couple of years ago:
“it's quite a complicated thing to implement, since the setup is entirely different from European trucks. To make this work, we'll have to make both the hood and the cab physics objects that will interact with each other, and that means editing all the truck models to support this, as well as doing a lot of code to allow for this.”
Optional Features

#17855 Post by Optional Features » 01 Jul 2022 17:43

And that is understandable, but the best way to do something is to start doing it. Maybe the w900 and 389 wouldn't get it, but the Cascadia should have and the 49x and the 9900. The longer they wait, the more models they add, the lower the chance it'll come.

And to add to my previous post above, another area where SCS games lack is cargo handling. At the end of the day, pretty much all cargo is handled and interacted with the same. Whether the player is hauling a bulldozer or grain, the loading and unloading process is identical. In a farming game, that would be like harvesting grapes with a corn head which also harvests potatoes.

It's unrealistic and makes things more boring than they should be.
xeviax

#17856 Post by xeviax » 01 Jul 2022 17:49

Can someone confirm this, if I activate a DLC when I am in the beta, do I have to do it again when I will move back to the normal version(regular/stable build again? I have bought a few DLCs today. :D
saur44l

#17857 Post by saur44l » 01 Jul 2022 18:21

It seems that having rain sensors on older trucks is reason enough to criticize SCS for the sake of realism,but connecting infinite number of trailers in the other game,is what makes that sim game more "realistic" or felling like proper simulator. How will pushing buttons in ATS or ETS2 make both games more interesting or appealing to broader range of players is beyond me,but we are humans,maybe I am missing something.Like abasstreppas said,trucking is moving cargo from point A to point B,at the moment it seems at SCS are focusing on the most interesting part of that process,and that is driving(getting paid would be on the top spot,but it is what it is).Yes SCS and their games are not perfect,we all get that,there is room for plenty of improvement,but making hobby of criticizing them will not solve anything.
abasstreppas

#17858 Post by abasstreppas » 01 Jul 2022 19:01

@seriousmods You obviously didn't read what I said, or didn't understand. 90% of the gamers doesn't care about gazillions of buttons or being able to go to the loo and take a sh*t. They just want to drive from A to B, customise the truck, listen to the radio while driving. They just want to relax. There is only a tiny amount of people who want to be able to micro manage the game, the rest doesn't. Personally I would quit this game if I had to stop the truck and walk to the loo every 4 hours ;)
Bandit & The Snowman

#17859 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 01 Jul 2022 19:08

@XEvilBestOscip activated DLC is permanently available in-game, unless you deactivate it again. This has nothing to do with beta or stable versions.
Vinnie Terranova

#17860 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 01 Jul 2022 19:18

abasstreppas wrote: 01 Jul 2022 15:49So please let SCS do their way. I totally trust what they are doing, even if I too could get frustrated from time to time, but I have to trust them.
What do you mean by this? I mean, SCS is a developer company, who develope games. I am a customer who have bought their games. If I am frustrated, I see no reason to buy their games (or DLCs) anymore. The problem is not: do I trust SCS? The problem is: do the games of SCS still deliver what I'm looking for?
Just think about all the licencing work they've been doing and the name they're doing for themselves in the real life truck business. All the contact they managed to get during the years.
I really don't care. First of all I don't know nothing about the licensing process. And second of all it's not about the licencing process and the relationship between SCS and trucking business. It's about ATS and ETS2. Because those are games I'm playing. I don't care what SCS has done to get truck licenses. I do care what licensed trucks are in the game. I don't care about the relationship between SCS and the trucking business. I do care whether ATS and ETS2 give me the feeling of driving a truck and hauling cargo.
SCS today is getting closer to be the real deal
Are they? I don't have that same feeling. The real deal would mean that ATS and ETS2 need to be quite realistic simulators. And although both game have some simulator aspects, they lack too many other simulator aspects. So, I think ATS and ETS2 are far, far from the real deal.
Some of you guys really need to focus on the right things to ask/wish/crave for if you are to be taken seriously. Some of you wants things that 90 % of all players doesn't even care about.
As I am playing ATS and ETS2, I am asking for things that I think are right for me. I don't care about what other players think about right things for them. If I want feature X that nobody cares about, I would still ask SCS to implement that feature X. And if one person (not me) is asking for a feature Y, then he/she has the full right to ask for that feature Y. Because feature Y might not be interesting for me, but I'm not the only one who plays ATS and/or ETS2. That other person also plays ATS and/or ETS2, but maybe in a different way then I'm playing those games. So he/she can ask/wish/crave for all the things he/she wants, even if I personally would not be interested in those things.
This game is about driving a truck from A to B and that is still the focus of the game. During the years stuff has been added between A and B and more stuff will be added still
Yeah, but there is more than just A and B and a truck to drive. A lot more. And I'm not talking about just roads and cities...

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”